• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

What do you guys do wsith your "failed" HD's ?

Deadjasper

2[H]4U
Joined
Oct 28, 2001
Messages
2,856
Drives that show bad sectors but otherwise work just fine. I have several collecting dust and hate to scrap them because other that testing bad, they function just fine.
 
Drives that show bad sectors but otherwise work just fine. I have several collecting dust and hate to scrap them because other that testing bad, they function just fine.

Its just the beginning of problems, toss them and save yourself the headache.
 
I have SOOOOOOO many 240GB/500GB/1TB spinning drives. Sure many of them work, but they're slow and have been deemed unreliable for producing a few too many bad sectors/smart errors.


I keep meaning to go through them and then physically damage/discard. Just....lazy
 
Well if the drives dont show increasing bad sector count, they might work fine to store things that are not important like movies and music etc.. I have a 2TB drive with 32000 reallocated sectors that I use for such purposes and as long as the bad sectors are not in the MFT area at the beginning of the drive they work fine. I would not use them in a production environment but why throw it away? Although in many cases once errors start to appear they appear everywhere and those drives are worthless so use them in testing.. Like dropping them from the 20th floor to see if the heads really detach like some people say it does.. Does high gforces cause the magnetism to run away.. They contain some powerful magnets so many tests and so little time.. make coffee coasters with the platters.. The new drives dont spin if you open it and do anything with the heads and platters or it would work like a great DC fan..
 
Back
Top