What do you guys do with your old systems when you upgrade?

I've kept some systems entirely. Like my backup computer and DOS box. I use the backup system for when my nieces or nephews come over and want to use a computer and I use it to play some slightly older games that don't like Vista and 7. I also still have my first computer which I use for one purpose, to play DOS games with no emulation. Then I've recycled some into other computers. One I gave to my parents and my last system is now living in my home theater as an HTPC. Then there are plenty that I've sold. Just depends on what I think it will be most useful as at the time.

Usually just give them to my grandma. She is a Network Administrator for Intel.

Spend some money buying components to fit them into rackmount cases and put them in my rack. Then I never power them on again. At least I only have a half height rack so when it gets full I know its time to throw something away.

Usually I only try to sell spare parts if I'm really sure I don't want them anymore. There have been so many times where I had some strange part and I was sure I would never use it again. It gets put in the box with the rest. A few years later I find myself working on some project and lo and behold that old "useless" part turns out to be exactly what I need.

Give away or sell what I can if I can. I have also given parts to second hand stores as well. Last year I gave away my 19" Samsung CRT monitor to a second hand store.

I've sat on all of my old parts for far too long so far, I'm just now trying to sell a bunch of my old computer stuff.

Going forward, my plan is to have my main rig, then move everything over to my HTPC when I upgrade. Then I'll sell the old HTPC parts. This will probably only work up to a certain point though - you really only need so much to record/playback HD video.

I'm only on my third generation machine and so far I haven't taken any of my old machines apart or sold them. I plan to keep them that way - not break them up for parts - so that I can have a kind of working museum of my PC history :p

By the time I come to upgrade the old parts aren't usually worth very much so I figure they're worth more to me as they are.
And I can show my kids what Win XP was like :D

Back