What do you expect out of next generation's consoles?

TheAmazingXemo

Weaksauce
Wii U is here, but the next Xbox and PlayStation systems have yet to show their faces. What do you expect these next gen systems to do? Are there features you're looking forward to that haven't made their way into the Xbox 360, PS3, or the Wii U? Are there any that would make or break a purchase for you?

I think that any new game consoles from this point on should support system level voice chat. I think that Miiverse is an incredible feature that will be copied on Microsoft and Sony's new devices. (Vita's operating system is pretty sweet and contains similar functionality on each game's page, but nothing from direct user input)
I'm HOPING that the Xbox720/PS4 will render games at 1080p (no scaling from 540p or 720p), and mandates from Microsoft/Sony make this a requirement to developers, but I don't see that happening.

Nothing's going to beat a gaming PC in terms of specs, but if we're going to be spending another 5+ years with a few consoles fighting for our attention in our living rooms, we might as well throw some ideas around, right?

I'm expecting actual 1080p rendering but, even on PCs, many games still can't run a solid 60FPS at 1080p with every detail maxed-out on high-end hardware; some games can but they're not typically graphically impressive games. Dig around in some of the video card reviews and game tests run on [H] to see what current cross-platform games are doing on beefy PCs. Many benches are done at higher resolutions but some are done at 1920×1080 or 1920×1200 and might give you a good idea of what to expect.

I'm betting we'll get 1080p games but there will be compromises made to either the graphics quality or framerate. It'll probably mostly be 1080p @ 30FPS so that they can get some significantly better-looking details in the games or they may even just render at 720p.

I'm a little disappointed in the amount of system memory that the Wii U has but then again it is a Nintendo product and they haven't been very big on cutting-edge hardware so maybe Sony and MS will offer more system resources but then again they'll want to build a system that they're not losing tons of money on so I'm concerned there. I'd expect at least 4GB total system RAM on the Sony and MS consoles for them to be able to really push next-gen graphics.

I'm really not expecting much, though. Hardware has come a ways in the past 6 years but not a huge ways. I think that the days of huge improvements in hardware are over, those days when you went from an NES to an SNES and the difference in video and audio quality was so a night-and-day difference.

The current consoles can't even do 1280x720 for a lot of games, and even then they're dropping frames.

Wasn't the UE4 demo doing about 30 fps @ 1080p on a 680? That's a lot of horsepower as is, I think the next gen consoles will have a harder time keeping up this time around than last. PC hardware scaling is more ridiculous than ever, SLI / Crossfire is effective to the point that it can basically flat out double performance in the right scenarios and building a very decent machine is not particularly expensive, especially if you're upgrading and have parts you can still use, like a solid PSU / case / HD, etc.

Once the hardware starts getting pushed a little, I'm not sure 1080p will be sticking.

I expect them to not cost an arm and a leg. I'm getting tired of spending $350+ dollars just for the console itself. Don't get me started on the games.

And not have a 7+ year lifespan. I want tech to get better, not become stagnant.

I expect them to not cost an arm and a leg. I'm getting tired of spending $350+ dollars just for the console itself. Don't get me started on the games.

And not have a 7+ year lifespan. I want tech to get better, not become stagnant.

I do not see them shortening the life of consoles. They could but that would shorten the game's life cycle which would be a bad thing. Something that keeps the current consoles alive is the multiplayer, if you start shortening the time to of consoles from 7+ years to 3-4 then you would have more releases crammed in and split up the playerbase.

I think people would also start to stick with a single console and start skipping generations of consoles like PC users skip generations of cards. Sure each iteration of console would be a little bit better then the last, but a console for less then 350+ that gets updated every so often is highly unlikely.

What I would like to see in consoles is removable pieces of hardware that they can standarize to update easier. Similiar to a PC, but one that a 5 year old could handle. Gen 1 box comes with launch specs, a few years down the line they release a new box video card that plugs in like any other cartidge. With gen 1 box and gen 2 card you can now play new games released. With something similiar to that they could make the consoles last indefinite with constant updates to hardware.

What I would like to see in consoles is removable pieces of hardware that they can standarize to update easier. Similiar to a PC, but one that a 5 year old could handle. Gen 1 box comes with launch specs, a few years down the line they release a new box video card that plugs in like any other cartidge. With gen 1 box and gen 2 card you can now play new games released. With something similiar to that they could make the consoles last indefinite with constant updates to hardware.

That would defeat the purpose of a console. The developers will still have to cater to the base specifications, and the costs of development, software updates, compatibility on both GPUs would cause a lot of trouble. If you want upgradable hardware then get a PC.

For next generation consoles I would like to see a decline in expensive (compared to PC) games and no more pay to play online.

I want developers to think outside the box. I want the Wii U to have real time trolling capabilities, they should offer cloud storage of videos like youtube and the ability to send videos to rival Wii U's when they die in multiplayer. Even more awesome, I'd like to see this in dog fights like Ace Combat, where if I shoot you down, it sends a video forcefully to the opponents Wii U pad of me laughing as their plane goes down.

EDIT: Hell, let's expand this to an MMO space simulator where you can patch through in real time to other ships to join their guild and communicate frequently.

That would defeat the purpose of a console. The developers will still have to cater to the base specifications, and the costs of development, software updates, compatibility on both GPUs would cause a lot of trouble. If you want upgradable hardware then get a PC.

For next generation consoles I would like to see a decline in expensive (compared to PC) games and no more pay to play online.

No it would not, not at all. I want to see them at like the two year mark release a new card, and all development begin for that card instead of the launch card. They could not worry about that. Basically, devs make game for box 1 with card 2, said game is not compatible with box 1 card 1. This keeps pushing the limits while allowing the same console to stay in existence.

I think that any new game consoles from this point on should support system level voice chat. I think that Miiverse is an incredible feature that will be copied on Microsoft and Sony's new devices. (Vita's operating system is pretty sweet and contains similar functionality on each game's page, but nothing from direct user input)

Xbox already has system level voice chat (Party/Game/Private). What new features does Miiverse bring to the table?

Anything less than :

1080P w/4x AA @ 60 FPS
Downloadable games.

and I won't be buying the next gen consoles.

Now add to that keyboard + mouse support and I would be a day one buyer for sure, but I know I can't even DREAM of that.

Anything less than :

1080P w/4x AA @ 60 FPS
Downloadable games.

Now add to that keyboard + mouse support and I would be a day one buyer for sure, but I know I can't even DREAM of that.

Then you have no chance in hell. Im pretty damn sure well keep seeing 720p @ 30fps the starting point for any major releases. Console devs and marketers arent willing to give up better effects for higher framerate or resolution.

Anything less than :

1080P w/4x AA @ 60 FPS
Downloadable games.

Also crossplatform play. No excuse for this not to exist.

Anything less than :

1080P w/4x AA @ 60 FPS
Downloadable games.

So you want a GOOD PC, but really cheap, is what you're saying...? :confused:

lol i know right.

he describes a PC and then says if they cant deliver FUCK EM hahaha

LOL.

But seriously, console exclusives <---- That's the #1 reason to buy a console really, other than the fact that some people just won't spring for a PC.

Also more Uncharted.

No it would not, not at all. I want to see them at like the two year mark release a new card, and all development begin for that card instead of the launch card. They could not worry about that. Basically, devs make game for box 1 with card 2, said game is not compatible with box 1 card 1. This keeps pushing the limits while allowing the same console to stay in existence.

so basically every other year a $300 dollar piece of equipment becomes almost unusable. and then you call it the same console. and you expect people to pay for it. let me know how that works out for you.

Sounds like the PC forum accidentally clicked on the console forum.

It seems to me like the pc gamers are always comparing consoles with PCs, but i think console users aren't looking for games to match pc running rates like resolution and frame rates. of course there are minimal standards, but take a look at the settings of the popular games and i think that's what the expectations are.
so i think that while graphics and engines and software will push hardware, i think that they'll continue to hold with similar performance.

with the current success of consoles, i don't see why they would push the curve of cost/performance.

My knee jerk answer has always been 60FPS@1080 or GTFO. I'd say I'm still in that boat but really TBH.........I think I'll probably get 3x24's and an SLI setup and do nV Surround before I buy another console.

Consoles are becoming more and more long in the tooth from a technological standpoint. Yeah I know the Wii U has the gamepad and that's new......can't really say I see much innovation coming from MS or Sony. MS wants to turn the 360 and probably it's successor into a media hub with FB/Twitter/Hulu/ESPN/Netflix....oh, and yeah, games too. Microsoft has really gotten on my nerves finally; the last few lackluster E3's, the weak exclusives as of late, and all the nickel and diming with Live has finally grown ridiculously stale. Sony seems to focus more on the games primarily but now that they're having their corporate issues....not sure what to expect out of that side in the future.

The only thing that looks as good or better than half the shooters on PC nowadays is Uncharted. Otherwise it seems like the PC still pushes the graphical envelope especially when you factor in mods which is obviously impossible on consoles. It's sad when Crysis is still one of the bar setters 5 years after it launched.

so basically every other year a $300 dollar piece of equipment becomes almost unusable. and then you call it the same console. and you expect people to pay for it. let me know how that works out for you.

Sounds like the PC forum accidentally clicked on the console forum.

It seems to me like the pc gamers are always comparing consoles with PCs, but i think console users aren't looking for games to match pc running rates like resolution and frame rates. of course there are minimal standards, but take a look at the settings of the popular games and i think that's what the expectations are.
so i think that while graphics and engines and software will push hardware, i think that they'll continue to hold with similar performance.

with the current success of consoles, i don't see why they would push the curve of cost/performance.

Look you can be like every other fanboy/troll turning this into X vs Y, or you could leave it out of the conversation. It is not working out for me because that is not what the market is currently. Did you read the thread topic? What do you expect out of next generation's consoles? I expect consoles to stay with the times.

I want to see upgradeable consoles at a constant rate. Microsoft would make a killing doing it if the next CoD and Halo were requiring the new card. Halo 4 looked pretty sweet, but imagined if it had a much bigger map. People just hopping in to the console market could jump right in at the newest level. Keeping the console market stagnant with old consoles burns me out of consoles. I want to see consoles that you can upgrade, again I want to see. Not the PC forum who accidentally clicked on the Console forum.

zero2dash has a good request, 60fps at 1080. 30 fps makes me want to punch a baby. Gaming on my PC at 100-120 fps is very satisfying, 60 is minimum, but 30 is appalling.

First I would love to see less ads in the next Xbox. Second every game to look minimum as good as halo 4 does. The choice to use storage options other than what they offer now.

Now PlayStation, better controller, I hate the ps3 controllers. Small but not a cheap looking feeling console (looking at you new slim). Better menu than the crossbar and faster downloads from psn.

For both keep up the great first party titles. For Microsoft change live memberships to ala cart is. One price for playing games one for video and then the current one that includes both. Let's face it live will never be totally free and that's OK because what I pay for works (looking at Sony) their chat sucks sounds like original Xbox. And their game downloads are too slow.

I think both will have mostly 1080p as long as the frame rates are SMOOTH.

The Wii U is fine they will speed up the os I'm sure of that. Keep the games coming with great game pad integration.

Both Sony and Microsoft need to not exceed 400 that can do this maybe go the storage route like Nintendo and let us choose what we need, works for me.

To the guys saying they need to be upgradable seriously gtfo of here most people wouldn't have a clue what to do. It would cause more problems than anything. Being in the repair field 97% of the people I know that own consoles and need PC service wouldn't have a clue what to do if you try to sell them a console that you would need to upgrade. Leave that shit for the elite PC people. If Apple has shown anything to us its that people just wants shit they can use they don't want to tweak it they just buy a new one when the old one is to slow.

Lastly its the games sure look pretty but don't SUCK! And if anything needs to stop its all this fucking DLC! Make a complete game not a broken or incomplete one then throw paid shit at it. Whew OK I'm done for now back to zombie u (not easy) and the backlog of other games still need to finish dishonored and AC3!

Look you can be like every other fanboy/troll turning this into X vs Y, or you could leave it out of the conversation. It is not working out for me because that is not what the market is currently. Did you read the thread topic? What do you expect out of next generation's consoles? I expect consoles to stay with the times.

so me saying that the current dynamic of performance vs sales is working for the market = the dynamic not changing soon is fanboyish? okay.

i read everything. and my answer was listed: i expect to see the same 30fps with maybe slightly higher resolution and better graphics but otherwise nothing that will push the envelope. because that's what's selling millions of copies of games

To Dome and dbonetrain, guys chill and remember if console's change too fast they will end up like Sega, and just piss people off. Game on.

SLI / Crossfire is effective to the point that it can basically flat out double performance in the right scenarios

You sort of contradict yourself here. You are also giving waaay too much credit to the multi-card tech. SLI/Crossfire with dual cards at its typical best, can give you an extra 50% performance. Its often less than that. There are a couple of examples where it exceeds that. Not to mention, the whole thing only works somewhat correctly with major releases. Many of which still have curious glitches and bugs. Adding more cards for tri and quad setups scales exponentially worse. Having a closed system (console) would improve much of this, but it still always better to have a single, powerful card.

I want to see upgradeable consoles at a constant rate. Microsoft would make a killing doing it if the next CoD and Halo were requiring the new card. Halo 4 looked pretty sweet, but imagined if it had a much bigger map. People just hopping in to the console market could jump right in at the newest level. Keeping the console market stagnant with old consoles burns me out of consoles. I want to see consoles that you can upgrade, again I want to see. Not the PC forum who accidentally clicked on the Console forum.

zero2dash has a good request, 60fps at 1080. 30 fps makes me want to punch a baby. Gaming on my PC at 100-120 fps is very satisfying, 60 is minimum, but 30 is appalling.
It won't happen and shouldn't happen. Performance add-ons have ALWAYS failed with home console systems. The games that require them have almost all ended up failures, as well. Perfect Dark got lucky that it was as successful as it was. The only reason being that it was the next game from the company that made everyone's favorite game. At least, that's the way it seemed at the time. Even still, I never bought the add-on pack. i didn't even know you needed it. Then I bought Perfect Dark, tried to play it, saw i needed to shell out more for a hardware add-on, and took the game back. At the time I was like 13. I didn't have the money to be doing all that.

and that's the reality. People buy consoles so they can play games. Straight up. You buy the system. People make games for it. everyone understands its a limited setup, they all hope for the best possible products. The best possible products sell well. The best advertised sell well. All others are left to starve. Wash, rinse, repeat.

The console world is a software business. Once it has been made, software is cheap to print and relatively cheap to buy. Its a model that works and has only stayed working, by actually getting cheaper. The minute you tie your game to the hardware business, you shut out 3/4 of your customers, your base. You segregate them by their wallet. On the company side of this, you also automatically write off your game to be significantly less of a success than it might have been. Because, not only do people have to buy your game, but now they have to buy something else to make it work. Only the richest companies could take this risk. its much better to get 2 million people to buy your game and then release content add-ons and whatnot that are cheap to make and cheap to sell. It should be easy money. Or hey, if you sold 2 million, just make a sequel! its almost a guaranteed return!

PC gaming actually works that way, too. Its just that the PC world by nature, has customizable, variable hardware. So game development has adapted to be scalable. The people that can, may buy better hardware and reap performance and quality benefits. But the majority of games do not lockout the lower sets of hardware. If they did, it would be like BF3 required a system that could play it at 1080p (or better) on Ultra, or you couldn't play it at all. Steam proved that the majority of PC gamers sit in a price/performance low-mid sweet spot. The [H]ard culture of extremely customized machines that get upgrades once every six months is an extremely privileged and small community. Its really easy to forget that, especially if you frequent here and get tunnel vision.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

realistic things I would like to see:
I would love to see Sony stick with the XMB menu system. It is so extremely simple, straightforward, easy to use/learn, and extremely un-flashy. You can learn how to navigate the menu in probably a minute, Its so great. It is the anti-thesis of just about every single other company's electronic devices in the past X years, Its amazing.

from a hardware stand point, the one thing consoles really lack is system ram. They need to give us a good amount of it this time around. lack of system ram has been holding devs back for two generations, now.

More integration of new controller types. With things such as Move and Kinect, a sort of new category and new sub-genres have been born. Problem is, I'm not interested in a lot of that. I mean, its pretty cool some of the stuff they are doing, but I can also see some very obvious uses for this stuff in regular games. I mean, why can't I play Max Payne 3 with Move? Why can't I play Battlefield 3 with Move?

I hope that Sony continues to allow users to buy and install standard hard drives into their console. I hope Microsoft follows this example.

I would like to see things like screenshot and video capture support included in dev kits. Like, mandatory or something. Just give us a semi-universal process to do these things in each game. Let us save it to the hard drive. Let us transfer it to a PC. Give the user control, let us share our experiences with your game. I'm tired of the money exchanged, gimmick features that are tacked on. 30-second butt quality youtube videos. half-res screenshots that have to be uploaded to some website that requires an account blah blah blah. There are already existing ways to share stuff that are 200 times better than any of your crap, devs. Just give use the means to save the raw content. We will share the shit out of your game, I promise.

every single game should have near completely customize-able controls. Yes, I understand that sometimes a game's feel is married to its control setup. But there are always portions of a control setup that make tons of sense to be allowed customization----but rarely are. Any game that uses an analog stick should have independent X and Z axis sensitivity controls, for example.

Last edited:
I am hoping to see strict 720p 30fps restrictions, along with Ver2 of Kinect/Move both shipped with the console and not an optional purchase.

Those alone would work wonders, hardware wise I would like to see a strong trinity apu for the cpu and video to run the UI and movies. A separate 7770 or higher level GPU and at least 4GB of ram (total) with a good sized edram.

Microsoft is good with Live they just need to expand a bit. Sony on the other hand needs to fix PSN, and both need to have universal chat across the entire spectrum.

Both consoles should ship with a controller, wireless headset, an hdmi cable and a free 3 month membership to either Live or PSN+. They should also allow for download able games, and the option to install all games on the hd.

I would like to see a small SSD to power the systems OS and game saves, both consoles should release with a 320Gb and higher configurations with no option to use either without a HD (ie Xbox Arcade)

These are all low expectations which should be easy to accomplish and release with at a good msrp.

A dream would be to have 1080p at 60fps but that will likely not happen.

I'd like to see a 7870 level card but meh.

Also whoever was saying we need upgradable consoles does not know the market because that will not happen nor should it.

First, I would like to thank you for not just disregarding my arguement with a simple sentence, and providing an indepth reply.

QUOTE=chameleoneel " I hope that Sony continues to allow users to buy and install standard hard drives into their console. I hope Microsoft follows this example."

Wouldn't HDDs be similar to have upgradable parts? I know it is not required, to the best of my knowledge, for a certain game to work. What about Halo 4 and the multiplayer installation disc? Can an older Xbox play Halo 4?

With the success rates of big titles like Halo 4 and CoD I think they developers and consoles could push it. If anyone could do it Microsoft could.

edit: I broke the quote, sorry, quote by chameleoneel

First, I would like to thank you for not just disregarding my arguement with a simple sentence, and providing an indepth reply.

QUOTE=chameleoneel " I hope that Sony continues to allow users to buy and install standard hard drives into their console. I hope Microsoft follows this example."

Wouldn't HDDs be similar to have upgradable parts? I know it is not required, to the best of my knowledge, for a certain game to work. What about Halo 4 and the multiplayer installation disc? Can an older Xbox play Halo 4?

With the success rates of big titles like Halo 4 and CoD I think they developers and consoles could push it. If anyone could do it Microsoft could.

edit: I broke the quote, sorry, quote by chameleoneel
Halo 4 multiplayer does require a install even the oldest 360's a used hard drive is dirt cheap BUT!!! IT ALSO allows you to use a USB flash drive now for this as well anywhere up to 32 GB and multiple if you want. USB flash is cheap.halo4 multiplayer is a3.5 GB install so one 20 dollar 32 GB flash drive is more than enough

Too many people care about the damn pixels on the screen. Enjoy the consoles now for what they are. Good gameplay, storylines, art, and character will be timeless graphics are not timeless. Even the PS5 will be considered to have "crap" graphics 7 years from now so it's inevitable.

If you really want to enjoy gaming you need to get past this "graphics" mindset and enjoy games for what they are because let me tell you, some of the best games out there are the ones with "crap" graphics.

If you really want to enjoy gaming you need to get past this "graphics" mindset and enjoy games for what they are because let me tell you, some of the best games out there are the ones with "crap" graphics.

I'm not sure about that. I'd say in most cases, the greatest games of all time at least had passable graphics for the time. Sure, Super Mario Brothers and Pac Man look dated right now - but were top notch at the time. I'd say that holds true for a ton of classics like Resident Evil, Street Fighter, Doom, the TES games, Sonic, etc.
The same holds true for modern games like Assassin's Creed, Gears, Uncharted, and most others.
There are exceptions like Minecraft, but there are far more that are graphically edgy than aren't.
It's relative, and this current generation looks dated. Multiplatform games on the PC look almost like a different game at times...and that's simply just with a boost to resolution and details. PC optimized games are another animal altogether. Fun and graphics aren't mutually exclusive and I'm pretty sure most people would rather play a fun game that's also pretty vs. one that isn't.
If visuals don't matter, why don't we all just go back to the SNES or PS1 and save a bunch of time and money?

Too many people care about the damn pixels on the screen. Enjoy the consoles now for what they are. Good gameplay, storylines, art, and character will be timeless graphics are not timeless. Even the PS5 will be considered to have "crap" graphics 7 years from now so it's inevitable.

No. I want both graphics AND gameplay. Only sheep settle.

Clarity and performance have a impact on my enjoyment of a game. I don't care much about the actual "graphics" but blurovision and frame rate chugging does affect game play. Anything less then 1080p and i wont bother with a next gen console.

I don't really expect much. I didn't buy last generations consoles and I doubt I will buy the generation coming up. Last console I purchased was a PS2 and the only game I really played on that system was Gran Turismo 3 until GT4 came out.

Though I do hope at least one of them pushes the hardware envelope since it apparently seems that as a PC gamer, the consoles have been holding us back. If not that, then exclusive PC developers that push the PC envelope would be nice.

You guys are crazy, Planescape Torment, Baulders Gate 2, MGS2, FF Tactics, FF7/8, Castlevania SOTN, HL1, CS 1.6, HL2, Deus Ex, XCOM, and many more legendary titles have "crap graphics" but their art value is through the roof. It's almost like saying some of Picasso's work is crap because it wasn't done with a modern Full Frame DSLR Camera. It's ignorant on every respect.

I also don't see the huge difference people are proclaiming about modern console games and PC games graphically speaking. The funny thing is that the games being released on the consoles now blow away any of the PC Exclusives being released as the PC system gaming wise has shifted from partially main stream to almost strictly indie, free to play, and multi platform console ports.

Take a look at the PC only releases within the past 2 years to see what I mean. Where are the Uncharted's for the PC? How about the Heavy Rain, MGS4, Red Dead, Infamous, Last of Us, I could go on and on.

PC is a dying gaming platform when it comes to games that are actually amazing......I hate to admit it.

I appreciate games for their artistic value, not the number of pixels on my monitor just like how I appreciate good photos and good art.

Than again, I am posting this on a PC hardware enthusiast forum where people spend $1,000+ on their PC Hardware (also where most people value graphical benchmarks over games) so the cost has to try to be justified somehow even though it might not be worth it for gaming.

Saying stuff like "1080P" or nothing is quite humorous considering just a few years ago everything was being played at 800*600 or less and 10 or so years from now everything will be played at 2060P+ so maybe you should wait until 2060P is the standard since 1080P still hasn't hit the "life like" graphic limit yet.

You guys are crazy, Planescape Torment, Baulders Gate 2, MGS2, FF Tactics, FF7/8, Castlevania SOTN, HL1, CS 1.6, HL2, Deus Ex, XCOM, and many more legendary titles have "crap graphics" but their art value is through the roof. It's almost like saying some of Picasso's work is crap because it wasn't done with a modern Full Frame DSLR Camera. It's ignorant on every respect.

I also don't see the huge difference people are proclaiming about modern console games and PC games graphically speaking. The funny thing is that the games being released on the consoles now blow away any of the PC Exclusives being released as the PC system gaming wise has shifted from partially main stream to almost strictly indie, free to play, and multi platform console ports.

Take a look at the PC only releases within the past 2 years to see what I mean. Where are the Uncharted's for the PC? How about the Heavy Rain, MGS4, Red Dead, Infamous, Last of Us, I could go on and on.

PC is a dying gaming platform when it comes to games that are actually amazing......I hate to admit it.

I appreciate games for their artistic value, not the number of pixels on my monitor just like how I appreciate good photos and good art.

Than again, I am posting this on a PC hardware enthusiast forum where people spend $1,000+ on their PC Hardware (also where most people value graphical benchmarks over games) so the cost has to try to be justified somehow even though it might not be worth it for gaming.

Saying stuff like "1080P" or nothing is quite humorous considering just a few years ago everything was being played at 800*600 or less and 10 or so years from now everything will be played at 2060P+ so maybe you should wait until 2060P is the standard since 1080P still hasn't hit the "life like" graphic limit yet.

....Uh huh. Go on. I'd love to hear more about this.

I'm not so sure about those games having crap graphics. They might now, but at the time most didn't FF7 and Baldur's Gate were both heralded for their graphics at the time. HL1 ran on a better version of the Quake engine, which was THE engine back then. People bought their first 3D cards just to play those Q1 engine games.
SOTN was a 2D engine in an age when 3D was catching on, but it was graphically pretty advanced even by that standard (thanks to low polygon counts back then).
HL2? C'mon. It wasn't a system killer, but people were upgrading for it.
Pretty much all of those games were middle of the pack at worst and pretty close to the top graphically in most cases. Absolutely none of them were ever seen as ugly, including Tactics, which used the old FF look and feel. Hell, they're still porting that game to current platforms as-is.
Those games were mostly cutting edge when they were released.
Other than games on dying last gen systems, most "classic" games had what would be considered good graphics when they were released.

I'm not so sure about those games having crap graphics. They might now, but at the time most didn't FF7 and Baldur's Gate were both heralded for their graphics at the time. HL1 ran on a better version of the Quake engine, which was THE engine back then. People bought their first 3D cards just to play those Q1 engine games.
SOTN was a 2D engine in an age when 3D was catching on, but it was graphically pretty advanced even by that standard (thanks to low polygon counts back then).
HL2? C'mon. It wasn't a system killer, but people were upgrading for it.
Pretty much all of those games were middle of the pack at worst and pretty close to the top graphically in most cases. Absolutely none of them were ever seen as ugly, including Tactics, which used the old FF look and feel. Hell, they're still porting that game to current platforms as-is.
Those games were mostly cutting edge when they were released.
Other than games on dying last gen systems, most "classic" games had what would be considered good graphics when they were released.

You're not getting it. Sure the games might have had great graphics at release but so do most games.....it comes down to gameplay. I can go back and play Planescape and the art/graphics to me are still stunning to look at while a game like Crysis has almost no art direction....its just "realistic" jungle and pixels no art, no amazing storyline, go stunning gameplay/stealth. Last time that I checked most people complained because headshots were non existent in Crysis as was stealth as the AI is terrible. This is also the reason why people use Crysis as a benchmark and most don;t play it for the gameplay because there are a ton of games out there that do what Crysis does but 10X better except for having high pixels/polygons.

I won't respond to the obvious troll posts as they're just trying to start a flame war or know that my points are right and can't come up with anything to rebuke my claim that PC gaming has gotten the shaft.

You're not getting it. Sure the games might have had great graphics at release but so do most games.....it comes down to gameplay. I can go back and play Planescape and the art/graphics to me are still stunning to look at while a game like Crysis has almost no art direction....its just "realistic" jungle and pixels no art, no amazing storyline, go stunning gameplay/stealth. Last time that I checked most people complained because headshots were non existent in Crysis as was stealth as the AI is terrible. This is also the reason why people use Crysis as a benchmark and most don;t play it for the gameplay because there are a ton of games out there that do what Crysis does but 10X better except for having high pixels/polygons.

I won't respond to the obvious troll posts as they're just trying to start a flame war or know that my points are right and can't come up with anything to rebuke my claim that PC gaming has gotten the shaft.

StarCitizen, MMOs, Blizzard games, and Steam. PC is not dying, it is growing. Consoles are also growing. I just want to see consoles get on par with PC. Cross platform is also needed to end the fued between who is better.

Stop trolling sovern

StarCitizen, MMOs, Blizzard games, and Steam. PC is not dying, it is growing. Consoles are also growing. I just want to see consoles get on par with PC. Cross platform is also needed to end the fued between who is better.

Stop trolling sovern

So you named off one game, I already mentioned free to play MMO's which have gone down the crapper anyways. Check out how much of a fail GW2 was. Blizzard games have become a joke take a look at what SC2 has become the game is dying, D3 was a joke TL2 was better, steam is just a platform where all of these new low buget indie games are being released.

I could say PSN and you say Steam. You're the one that needs to be real with yourself and I'm going to end it with this,

Stop trolling dbonetrain.

You guys are crazy, Planescape Torment, Baulders Gate 2, MGS2, FF Tactics, FF7/8, Castlevania SOTN, HL1, CS 1.6, HL2, Deus Ex, XCOM, and many more legendary titles have "crap graphics"

If you think those titles have "crap graphics" than you haven't seen "crap graphics". :p

I'm gameplay first over graphics but there's no reason with the power and the advancement of 3D engines and 3D development that we can't have both...not in 2012.

Back