what do you do with the case from a shucked WD 3.5" drive

philb2

[H]ard|Gawd
As the title says. I love that I can shuck these drives. I just feel bad about getting rid of the cases.

If you find something useful, let me know. Otherwise, I just keep them in the box in case I need them for warranty claims (knock on wood)

I also keep mine in the box for warranty purposes or re selling them.

Last edited:
I read somewhere that these WD cases have a chip that does NOT allow the case to be used with any other drive. Bummer. I've got some bare 3.5" drives that I use with a docking station. Would have been nice to keep them in these WD cases.

I put old drives in them. The WD firmware works with any WD or HGST drive.

I read somewhere that these WD cases have a chip that does NOT allow the case to be used with any other drive. Bummer. I've got some bare 3.5" drives that I use with a docking station. Would have been nice to keep them in these WD cases.
I have a 2TB Toshiba SATA drive in my 14TB WD's old case. It's being used as an XBox One storage device. Works just fine. So your mileage may vary!

Send in a bare drive and this is what they say,
WD-Warranty-Denied.jpg

It was a 12TB Element that I shucked and put into my Mediasonic 4 bay USB case and it was working fine for 6 months.
I would power on the case every week and backup stuff to the drives, and then one day I was backing up a couple hundred gigs and the copy just stalled.
power cycled the case and the drive came up as not initialized and couldn't be initialized. tried the drive in a usb dock as well as installed in a PC and no go.

Back