What do you do with old hardware?

Swede88

Lurker
I have some hardware I don't use anymore and I'm curious what do you do with it if you can't sell it. Here's a list of the stuff I have laying around, can I recycle any of this stuff? Or does it have to end up in the trash?

Stand alone/desk microphone - beige
Creative Labs Soundblaster AWE64 (ISA slot) =) (not sure about drivers)
Generic 56k Modem – PCI slot – driver on floppy disk
56k Modem – brand name I think – no drivers 
MSI K7 Pro motherboard (MS 6195) – has original driver CD
6-channel PCI sound card – no drivers, but has audio cable
ATI Rage 128 Ultra – AGP – no drivers, card only
SDRAM: Kingston Value RAM PC-100 256mb, Generic? PC-100 128mb, Generic? PC-100 64mb
44x Artec CD-ROM
Samsung floppy drive 1.44 (6 years old)
AMD Athlon 700mhz w/ heatsink & fan
300W power supply

Thanks

Get an inexpensive case and an extra HDD, throw it together another machine for ripping CD's, storing pr0n, learning linux, make a web-browser machine, etc etc.

You can do that with a minimal expense and have a nice file server or what I refer to as a "Lab machine"

+ AV710 makes a good music/movie player

I trashed my old k6-2 500mhz :( I figured I would demote my current gaming rig to movie/music when I get a new rig

My old rig is completely disassembled in its case in my closet. Its hard drive still has a bunch of my old files on it that I copied over to my new rig.

But in any case, it's a pre-built, and so I'm waiting until I have some cash to burn to get a better case and mobo for it, and maybe a decent monitor. Then I'll prolly use it as an extra hard drive and music player.

So I just let my old parts pile up until I can tinker with them.

Give it to your local Goodwill. They LOVE getting old crapped out computers--and they're are some less-fortunate families out there that would be brought to tears by your 'garbage'. :)

My old hardware first gets filtered down into my sister's computer. From there, it filters down into my router. After that, it goes into the closet.

donate it, set it up for distributed computing, etc. Landfill should be the last option. Like someone said, there are some less fortunate people around that would love to have a computer that can browse the Internet and get email and write reports...playing Doom3 or HL2 is about the last thing those people plan on doing with it.

Give it to a little kid and teach 'em how to set it up so they can play with it. Continue the [H]ard cycle of life and make a youngster [H]appy.

Great suggestions. I think I'm going to donate it to this center dedicated to helping struggling families in town. My wife and I always donate our clothes there, so I'm sure they'll probably take this stuff.

thats a great idea, but charity centers dont know old hardware from old socks. You should really try to find someone personally to give it too and teach em about it, if you have time.

Bedpan Commando said:
Great suggestions. I think I'm going to donate it to this center dedicated to helping struggling families in town. My wife and I always donate our clothes there, so I'm sure they'll probably take this stuff.

Nice job. :) :)

I use mine as a lab machine to test out new software and do labs on for my networking classes :D
(bottom rig in sig)

also for making cd's dvd's, spare gaming rig for friends, etc

dariob said:
thats a great idea, but charity centers dont know old hardware from old socks. You should really try to find someone personally to give it too and teach em about it, if you have time.

I would, but my wife and I are sort of new to this town because we came here to finish college...so the few folks we do know wouldn't want/need it; also the reason I am looking for a new home for this stuff is because we're moving very soon. The good news is that being in a college town and such, there are plenty of tech savy college kids who know about computers and volunteer at these donation centers. I'm going to make sure I call ahead and ask about the details before I donate anything. I'm pretty sure it will work out...if I get in a pinch, I'll just buy a cheap tower and a HDD and throw it together and donate it...but I can't make any promises to the people who receive it because I'm not offering tech support after I leave the state :D

For some stoopid reason i'm on an old hardware kick, putting together a dula p3 600eb comp with a rage fury maxx (dual everything) just for shits and giggles.

Also putting together a dual p2 300 system with voodoo sli setup for oldschool glide gaming. Old hardware i used to have fun destroying (K6-2 ;) ) But now i kinda have more respect for it.

Buckus said:
donate it, set it up for distributed computing, etc. Landfill should be the last option. Like someone said, there are some less fortunate people around that would love to have a computer that can browse the Internet and get email and write reports...playing Doom3 or HL2 is about the last thing those people plan on doing with it.

QFT :)

Browse here, they would put that to good use:

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=826734

Hmm, could've sworn someone would've mentioned Folding by now. Well, I'm saying it, although the charity / under-privileged thing sounds good, too.

Build a computer, and give it to a poor family. Like janitors or something. They will love to have one for their family for xmas...

darktiger said:
Build a computer, and give it to a poor family. Like janitors or something.
Why do people always make fun of janitors? I'm a janitor :cry: :(

Bedpan Commando said:
I have some hardware I don't use anymore and I'm curious what do you do with it if you can't sell it. Here's a list of the stuff I have laying around, can I recycle any of this stuff? Or does it have to end up in the trash?

Stand alone/desk microphone - beige
Creative Labs Soundblaster AWE64 (ISA slot) =) (not sure about drivers)
Generic 56k Modem – PCI slot – driver on floppy disk
56k Modem – brand name I think – no drivers 
MSI K7 Pro motherboard (MS 6195) – has original driver CD
6-channel PCI sound card – no drivers, but has audio cable
ATI Rage 128 Ultra – AGP – no drivers, card only
SDRAM: Kingston Value RAM PC-100 256mb, Generic? PC-100 128mb, Generic? PC-100 64mb
44x Artec CD-ROM
Samsung floppy drive 1.44 (6 years old)
AMD Athlon 700mhz w/ heatsink & fan
300W power supply

Thanks
You could Turn it to a smoothwall broadband internect connection sharing machine.

dariob said:
Locally, there's a group called "Free Geek" that recycles computer parts, and has a program where if someone will donate time, they can earn a "recycled" PC. That makes it so anyone with a little time to donate walks out with a PC running Linux and loaded with open source software. Very cool......

Old non-working parts get the .44 Magnum treatment......:cool:

Regards - B.B.S.

Search Yahoo! Groups for a "freecycle" group near you. People post all sorts of stuff they want to give away, and you'd be surprised what kind of stuff you can get rid of.

Picked myself up a nice set of Dilbert and Calvin & Hobbes books there, too.

Yeah Guys I started posting that for my small pc business, I take in old hardware, sort through the good and bad, then rebuild computers. I either will give them to needy families or sell them off, plus some hardware will go to the [H]orde for folding@home.

darktiger said:
Build a computer, and give it to a poor family. Like janitors or something. They will love to have one for their family for xmas...

My mom is a janitor
:(

that's right.. i'm poor as shit.. well not that poor anymore.. cause my dad has had two jobs for the past 8 years or so..

And you ask.. how did i build a bad ass computer for myself????

Schalorship money!! :D

Back