What do you all think about the new iPod?

RIP-OFF

$50 more gets you over 4 times the storage. Plus the way the wheel presses in, I'd bet that's going to be a point of failure.

I agree. I was SERIOUSLY dissappointed to see that price tag. Wheres the deal? 250 for 4g? Come on....:rolleyes:

I agree with everyone here, While its great that its solidstate, 4 gigs for 250 is absurid when for 300 you can get 10gig

What's 4 gigs of flash memory worth? Best I can find on pricewatch is $175 for a 2GB CF card. Then they've got a 4GB USB flash drive for $1700... now that's nuts.
It's tougher due to the lack of a HD, smaller, and presumably weighs less. I kinda like it.
I still don't think I'd buy one though, at least not in my current job unless I can bring myself to stop driving and take the train to work. I'm just rarely in a place where I want a portable music player.

I don't believe they're solid state...I believe Cornice just announced 1" square 2GB and 4GB hard drives, and these are what's being used. But I could be wrong.

Either way, at $249, there's zero motivation to buy one, when you can have a 15GB iPod for $50 more.

Myself, I've got one of the original 10GB iPods, and a new 40GB model, so I'd never even consider buying one.

EDIT: It's a 4GB Hitachi drive, as explained here: http://news.com.com/2100-1041-5136124.html

Personally I hate the new iPods. I was hopeing that Apple would release a 2GB and a 4GB version for 149 and 199$.
But that would go against normal Apple marketing by directly compeating againt flash based MP3 players.

This device is targeted to people who were looking at a 256Mb flashed based MP3 player and say to themselves "50$ more will get me 3 more gigs" and not people like us who say "why get the mini when for 50$ more I can get 11 more gigs"
They dont want to hurt the iPods market by releasing the mini...

soo dissapointed but i'll proll get 1 cuz ive eyeing myself a ipod for a while now.

still quite expensive consider the diff from 4 to 10 gig, but u gotta remeber it is more expensive to make it smaller. Also about the wheel mechanism, i thought its the same thing as the orginal ipod(meaning u can scroll through songs by circleing the wheel with ur finger), but theres buttons undr the wheel as well..????

I'll admit that I thought apple was overrated and overpriced, but after playing with my friend's iPod, I'll just say they're overpriced. :D

Personally, I'd buy the new mini-iPod, I just wish it wasn't so expensive. I think smaller is better, even if there is less hard drive space. It doesn't take that long to download/sync songs and 4 gigs is still worth about 3 days straight (72 hours) of music. Unless I really wanna carry my whole collection of cd and set it to random, it's more than enough. Com'on, it's small enough to carry in the coin pocket of my jeans...

Maybe I'll get one for myself on my birthday...but i'll wait and see if Dell answers with anything.

Back