• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

What do use for an ADSL modem?

sram

[H]ard|Gawd
2FA
Joined
Jul 30, 2007
Messages
1,851
I don't see many dsl modems threads. Is this because the modem is always provided by the ISP? What do you use with your wireless router? OR do you use an all-in-one-device that has a modem and a wireless router?

From the sticky router recommendation thread, it seems to me that everybody is concerned about getting a good/proper wireless router. Now, that should mean everybody is using a separate modem, is that right? There aren't many modems selling nowadays I can see, and I wonder why!

I want to use the D-link DIR-655 wireless router, I really like it. Which modem do you recommend me to get to go with this router?

By the way: I'm currently using the all-in-one- device USR 9108. It is an US Robotics gateway.

Thanks
 
Doesn't really matter much for DSL modems, I haven't seen issues or performance differences across the board.

I usually use what are now Motorola-Netopia 2210
Previously they were the little Siemens Speedsteam 5100/4200/4100 models.
I always flip them to pure bridged mode, I have the router I use do the PPPoE and obtain the public IP.

Before that, the Speedstream 5260 and 5360 models.

I tend to hate those 2Wire gateways.
 
I am forced to use the crappy ADSL2+ modem/WiFi router combo that O2 gave me, although I only use it as a modem then pipe the connection to my D-Link Wireless-N/Gigabit router. I do have the WiFi enabled on the O2 router for guests :)

What I absolutely hate the most is that O2 will occassionally push out a firmware update for the modem without asking, and I can't stop them (without risking losing service). Booo to Big Brother.
 
I use a Thompspn Speedtouch 516v6. Seems to be the best of what our ISP offers in term om modems.
 
I like being able to choose my own wireless router so I just use the default Westel modem provided by Verizon. I am using the D-Link Dir-655 and it works great.
 
One consideration is what standard of ADSL circuit is being provided to you. There are several, such as ADSL, ADSL Annex A or B, ADSL2+, etc. You could get your own modem which supports many if not all of the standards or match the standards provided by the DSL provider's modem to one you buy. Generally I would just use what the DSL provider gives you. Most of them will allow free replacement if the modem dies, which is nice. And their modem should be 100% compatible with their service and be supported by them. Some providers (Cable or DSL) like to play the game if you own your own hardware, then the problem must be your hardware and not them.
 
Back
Top