What do these routers that are newer than my DGL-4300 offer?(router n00b)

Headbust

[H]ard|Gawd
Never really paid much to my router since 2006 or so when i got my DGL-4300. It seems to have everything I need, it works fine and seems to have an alright right. I really don't know much about all these new router features out there like WRT/Tomatoe and all this other stuff. How does a more ram/cpu performance inrease the routers performance and such? Basically benefits would i see over my current with something newer?

Is there anything in the $60-$80 range that would be recommended over my 4300?

Common things most newer ones will have...Various versions of N wireless, dual radio. Some will have a slightly faster CPU and more RAM and there are quite a few now that are capable of over 500 and even 600 megs of throughput.

Other features vary from brand to brand and firmware to firmware.

The 4300 you have..it was a great model back in its day and still is pretty good. It's capable of about 100 megs of throughput, which is still faster than most peoples broadband connections at home. So it's most likely not a bottleneck yet for you.

New routers offer 802.11n which provides higher transfer speeds.

Some current routers also offer USB ports that enable you to share printers and hard drives across your network.

I was very happy with my WRT54G for several years and only switched a few months ago to a new 802.11n router to improve my wireless transfer speeds.

Back