What do I need to upgrade meet/beat these recommended specs!

Blacryan

n00b
Hi guys, I have a quick question. There is a game coming out soon with some relatively high recommended requirements. I am wondering what I need to upgrade if anything to meet/beat these recommendations.

First the RECOMMENDED requirements.
Recommended configuration:
(Up to 1280X960, most features on)

Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz or equivalent
RAM: 2048MB Dual Channel DDR2
Video card: NVIDIA GeForce 7900 GTX or equivalent
Video memory: 512MB
DVD-ROM: Quad-speed (4x) DVD-ROM drive
HARD DRIVE SPACE: 30GB

Now here is what I have.

Corsair HX 620w Powersupply
Windows XP SP2
E6600
2gigs of Corsair XMS2 DDR2
7900GTX
NForce 680i nf-68-a1
I have a 160gig Hitachi HD almost full and a secondary 320gig western digital drive.

I am playing on a Samsung Sync Master 204b (20inch LCD)

Any suggestions on what I may want new or to improve on to make my system play this game the best I can? Should I upgrade to Vista 64bit? Will I be able to take advantage of it? Will I notice any difference compared to XP? I do have 2 7900GTX's... but at the moment I am only running 1, it causes me to crash when I play with both. I think it may be a powersupply issue, i'm not sure... I doubt its a heating issue though. But everything at the moment seems to play fine with 1 card so.

I wouldn't "upgrade" to Vista. 64bit won't help you any since you don't have more than 3GB of RAM. Vista is still a bit slower than XP also. I would put all my effort into getting your 2nd card working. I think then you will be doing fine.

What game?

I wouldn't "upgrade" to Vista. 64bit won't help you any since you don't have more than 3GB of RAM. Vista is still a bit slower than XP also. I would put all my effort into getting your 2nd card working. I think then you will be doing fine.

What game?

Age of Conan is the game. I am considering buying the Gskill 2x2gig of DDR2 for 75$.

Your system looks fine. I am surprised to hear that 2 x 7900gtx's are crashing on that psu??
Actually I just checked and that psu is Nvidia SLi Certified to sli those 7900 GTX's
http://www.slizone.com/object/slizone_build_psu.html

Moving forward an 8800gt 512mb or higher would be the only thing worth while I think. The resolution is really important here. If you are gaming @ 1280x1024 or 1440x900 or less you should be fine, if greater resolution than that you should consider a gpu upgrade.

I agree with hossdaddy -- the 8800GT will give you the most noticeable improvement in gaming. Sell the two 7900GTX cards to free up some funds.

But you may also want to free up some space in your OS drive, just as a precaution.

I am gaming at 1280x1024 and to be honest it is actually my perferred size. Not too small, not too big.

But maybe I will try some higher resolution gaming and see how I like it!

1680 x 1050 res on a 22" would be good for you man. It's about the same size when compared to a 19" with 1280 x 1024 res.

only problem with that is it will put more stress on his video card setup. More pixels = bigger gpu requirements.

Yah, go with the 8800GT and OC that E6600 to 3Ghz at least. ;) If you need a HSF, the AC F7 Pro is cheap, or the ZEROtherm Nirvana can help take that E6600 even higher.

I see... I am thinking about getting another monitor... but if I do I am going to go big... like 30in or so.

I have had my 2 7900gtx's in now... and I havent crashed yet, it could be I was using beta drivers from a LONG ASS time ago because they were the only ones that would play CSS and a couple other games, without me having to swap drivers when I wanted to play a diff game.

The best part about hte 2 7900gtx's is I got them both for relatively free since my 2 7900gt's were both defective from EVGA so they sent me back 2 7900gtx's.

Lucky you on scoring the 79GTX cards. However, a single 8800GTS 512MB would outperform those cards. If you get a 30" LCD, you should seriously consider going SLI -- thats what SLI was made for. Otherwise, consider the 9800GX2 instead.

Age of Conan is the game.

Hehe, I knew which game it was as soon as I saw the specs :)

Unfortunately, I'll be trying AoC on the computer in my sig... I'm hoping the 2GB RAM and the HD 3850 make up for the 3GHz P4. I might just have to move up my planned new computer purchase from September to a few months earlier.

Back