What do I do now?

vraa

Gawd
Joined
Mar 20, 2007
Messages
598
I came back from work today after a really shitty day and I find my PC is off and I can't get it to turn on

My UPS is working, my two monitors are showing power
I tried different outlets, pc does not power up
I used to have green lights on my mobo, not anymore
So Now I unplugged the 24+4 and the 8 pin and I'm going to leave it unplugged for a while

This sucks I just got the machine built and running last week and I just got new monitors and speakers

Any ideas? I don't think there was a power surge - do the AMDs shut down when they get too hot? Perhaps it just got too hot and fried something :(

Sounds like an excuse to build a new computer.... BUT I JUST SPENT ALL MY MONEY ON THIS FUCKING COMPUTER
 
I think this piece of shit over heated
I'm never buying AMD again, fucking abu dhabi terrorists
 
if the light isnt on the motherboard you might have a burn out psu. does the psu smell?
 
I think this piece of shit over heated
I'm never buying AMD again, fucking abu dhabi terrorists


what does AMD have to do with abu dhabi? Or was the correlation made somehow by abu dhabi being related to terrorists and since this CPU overheated AMD are now also considered terrorists? That still doesnt make sense.

I think a better response to your statement would be a quote from the principal in the movie Billy Madison:

Principal: Mr. Madison, what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.
Billy Madison: Okay, a simple "wrong" would've done just fine.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5hfYJsQAhl0
 
You have my utmost sympathy. It is all I can offer you since I don't know how to solve your problem. :(
 
No info on the actual PC specs? We have no idea what any of your PC components are.

Also, move this to General Hardware.
 
Post specs in sig.

Could be a PSU issue. If you've got another PSU to test just the motherboard, CPU and video card then try it.
 
use a different PSU first. If it's not the PSU it's the motherboard probably.

Check for leaking capacitors (they will be bulging)
 
It's 1100T or whatever
I had it oc'ed to 3.8ghz (easy)
4 x 2gb sticks of some ram, kingston hyperx i think
some ati graphics card, not sure which one, i buy the 2nd to cheapest sapphire (i only play eve and steam games like portal and tf2)
a bunch of sata hard drives, raid 0 for boot os (win 7)
Asus Xonar STX
2 dvd rws, but only 1 is hooked up
corsair tx750w
cooler master case from my old c2d rig

i'm sorry about the terrorist comment, that was uncalled for, i was in an angry fit at the time of writing that post

i think it may be time for a new motherboard and cpu
I don't think AMD has come out with any cpu's since the 1100, so maybe i'll do a dual G34 or a Intel box, what is the best ?
 
1) What is an 1100T or whatever? sounds like you are not sure what you have.
2) You oc'd a chip you are not even what it is.
3) You are unsure of what memory you have.
4) You do not know what graphics card you have.
You need to figure out what you have, before anything else.
 
Could be BIOS settings but I think you'd know that if you messed with it. But just to be safe take out the battery and put it back in. If that doesn't help I'd say either the PSU or mobo died
 
PSU is most likely dead. If you don't have a spare psu around you may want to take the mobo out and look at the back. Some of the AMD boards that technically support hexes can burn out mosfets when they are overclocked, this seems to be a bigger issue with MSI.
 
it sounds like your psu is faulty. Test with another psu and see if it works.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
This thread made me loffle. Sorry about your PC mang...that must suck.
 
My PC quit like this. One minute it was fine the next instant it wouldn't power up at all. Thought it was my power supply. Took into my computer shop and it turned out to be the video card! I asked how could a video card keep the PC from powering on or booting up? He said it shorted out the entire system. My PCU was fine, replacing the video card fixed it. BTW the card was a GTX 580.
 
Hmm.. AMD is now made in Abu Dhabi?
Better check your case for sand dunes and snakes... beware of the snakes..

Looks like it died exactly like my 1090T.. Minor OC on the Multi, about a week later, no video..
1000w Laser Gold PSU, Gigabyte 890FX-UD5 (Newest BIOS), 8 GB DDR3, 6950 2gb, Corsair H50... System never overheated, never even came close on CPU or Chipset..

In my scenario.. Mobo Killed the chip.. Which killed the mobo..
Some kind of instability caused voltage ramping when using a non-stock multiplier.. Ramping killed the chip, then the chipset
 
My PC quit like this. One minute it was fine the next instant it wouldn't power up at all. Thought it was my power supply. Took into my computer shop and it turned out to be the video card! I asked how could a video card keep the PC from powering on or booting up? He said it shorted out the entire system. My PCU was fine, replacing the video card fixed it. BTW the card was a GTX 580.

Check the Video card like this guy said. I had a cheapo sapphire 4850 that died and would kill the system when powered on. Removed the card and it fired right up. That would be the easiest thing since you will be removing something rather than having to find other hardware to test with that you may not have. Even if your board does not have onboard video it should still boot up and beep at you when you remove the video card.
 
It has been a while since I built my system (in sig), so things might have changed. But my steps any time something like this happens:

1. Unplug everything from the back of the PC. EVERYTHING.
2. Pop out the CMOS battery, leave it out for 15. This should reset any non-hardware overclocks.
3. Pop the battery back in, plug in only the power/screen, and give it a test.
4. If it doesn't boot, check to see if anything is spinning or lit.
5. From there, you can go one of two ways - test the PSU, and test the video card using known-good components.

Good luck. Random computer issues suck. Lesson - don't overclock without knowing what you are doing, and how to fix it afterwards.
 
So I am at a cross roads
My brakes in my car also went out
Do I buy brakes or new computer parts?
 
Back
Top