• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

What display should I get?

AlexW

n00b
Joined
Sep 21, 2012
Messages
36
1) BenQ XL2420T
2) ASUS VG278HE (I would like to know: 144 Ghz in 2D games and Windows will be smoother than 120hz? Or the difference will not be noticeable? vg278he faster than XL2420t? vg278he has better colors? In my counrty vg278he +$150 than XL2400T.

3) Iliyama prolite G2773HS
4) BenQ GW2750HM (TFC central write it has realy fast responce time and low input lag).

I read XL2420T hs 5,4 ms input lag (instant mode) only for HDMI (but HDMI doesn't support 1080p 120Ghz). DVI has delay 10 ms in the instant mode and 24 ms in normal mode. WTF?
Why HDMI has less input lag? What about Display port? Display port has same input lag as HDMI?
 
Last edited:
If you aren't gaming or watching video, you really won't notice much difference with 120/144Hz. Scrolling might be a little bit smoother.

The XL2420T/TX is pretty hard to beat as far as value. Higher calibrated contrast values (almost 1000:1) than the Asus, but it's a smaller screen. 3D effect is a bit less convincing on smaller displays unless you sit very close. The Asus does seem to have better color fidelity and accuracy once calibrated, albeit with a slightly worse black value. So it's a trade-off. Personally I think that a higher contrast ratio is far more noticeable than color accuracy in gaming. It's frustrating when you have poor shadow detail, or when certain scenes look "gray" instead of "black" like they're supposed to. I've not seen a 27" 3D monitor with calibrated contrast above 750:1. That's not "poor", but 1000:1 is a pretty big jump.

I would also look into the screen's performance during 3D modes, as all those quoted figures are for 2D mode. Generally speaking, the image fidelity drops in 3D mode. NCX's reviews typically show a 20-30% drop in contrast and weird gamma behavior. The BenQ still offers up to 900:1 in 3D mode, for example.

Best Buy does stock the Asus so returns would be pretty easy. The BenQ is online-only.


Honestly I have been comparing those two monitors lately and it's a tough call. My current 4-year old Samsung TN has a calibrated CR of about 750:1. Wouldn't describe it as bad, but getting 1000:1 would be really nice. It would be somewhat of a lateral move for me as far as resolution and screen size go. I still wish we had a legitimate 1440p 3D option. I looked at those generic Korean ones, but when I saw CRs of 500:1 I immediately ruled it out.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top