• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

What digital camera for $350.00

Pilky

Gawd
Joined
Dec 13, 2001
Messages
653
You've probably seen these threads a few times.... :)

But anyways im gonna be in the market for a new digital camera.


I currently have a HP Photosmart 318 and that will be going to my mother.

So from having that i learned what i want in the new one.

It MUST have a battery pack. The one thing i hate about mines now is that it goes through batteries like all hell. My friend has a Canon, not sure the model but it has a battery pack and it last MUCH longer then mine.

So besides that, what you guys think is my best bet for a maximum of $350.00 bucks?
 
Pilky said:
You've probably seen these threads a few times.... :)

But anyways im gonna be in the market for a new digital camera.


I currently have a HP Photosmart 318 and that will be going to my mother.

So from having that i learned what i want in the new one.

It MUST have a battery pack. The one thing i hate about mines now is that it goes through batteries like all hell. My friend has a Canon, not sure the model but it has a battery pack and it last MUCH longer then mine.

So besides that, what you guys think is my best bet for a maximum of $350.00 bucks?

although you said a battery pack are you okay with using rechargeable AAs? I've used my parents A70 and I got 100-150 shots easily on one set of AAs. If you are okay with AAs then look at the Canon A70 or A80. I believe those are in your price range. If you want a battery pack look at the Canon S series. Somebody else will have to tell you more about those though.
 
Ya i seen some reviews about the A80. Any of the S models your like inparticular?
 
I suggest you look at some of these. There isn't one that is better than the other, but see which one fits YOU the best. There are others out there but these are some known good ones you might like in your budget.

Canon PowerShot S1 IS
Canon PowerShot A80
Konica Minolta DiMAGE Z10
Nikon Coolpix 4500
 
unless your going to be printing out a bunch of 8x10's go with some like the Fuji Finepix S5000. It is a 3.2 MP *(6 MP interpolated) has a 10x optical zoom, slr style body, uses xD picture cards and takes really great photos. I bought one several months ago before a trip to disney world and was extremley impressed. XP recognizes it as removeable disk and although it comes with software none is needed for viewing and downloading. Oh yeah it has excellant battery life. Still I recommend getting rechargeable batteries. Thier economical and reusable, no waste. I almost forgot it is not a pocket camera. If you are looking for something small to fit in a pocket, it's not that. Good luck.
 
You could add a mere $50 and get a Fujifilm Finepix F450 digital camera...major specs include 5MP, 3.4 optical zoom, 2" LCD, 2.9x2.5x0.8, etc...goes for about $400...might be able to find it for a bit less...very nice camera...HERE'S a review on it and another lower version which would be closer to your budget...great buy...in fact I might get one myself...THANX
C'YA :cool:
 
slats said:
unless your going to be printing out a bunch of 8x10's go with some like the Fuji Finepix S5000. It is a 3.2 MP *(6 MP interpolated) has a 10x optical zoom, slr style body, uses xD picture cards and takes really great photos. I bought one several months ago before a trip to disney world and was extremley impressed. XP recognizes it as removeable disk and although it comes with software none is needed for viewing and downloading. Oh yeah it has excellant battery life. Still I recommend getting rechargeable batteries. Thier economical and reusable, no waste. I almost forgot it is not a pocket camera. If you are looking for something small to fit in a pocket, it's not that. Good luck.


I agree with what slats said. Also a good camera, but I think it is a bit over your budget.
 
I think the Canon PowerShot A80 would be a good choice. It's within ur price range..maybe even around $300 and it takes great pictures (my friend has it). I don't have any experience with the Canon PowerShot S1 IS but it also looks good, specially the 10x zoom and optical image stabilizer. Good luck!
 
My A70 takes about 200 pictures on a single set of NiMH AAs. Highly recommended.
 
I had the opportunity to play around with the Canon S1 IS a bit at a Canon Kiosk in the nearby mall, and I recall liking it quite enough. The viewfinder is a bit fuzzy, but the 10x Zoom and optical image stabalizing is extremely nice.

But then, it all depends on what you want. A few megapixels more wouldn't heart, and the Olympus' 10x-zoom cameras (Don't know the names) have received excellent reviews by many.
 
I had an A80, loved it, but hated the body style. I recently played around with the Canon Powershot S1 IS, and loved it. The only thing I don't like was the freezing of the view when taking an image. Makes for difficult panning.

Anyway, here is a link for you to check out: http://www.steves-digicams.com/best_cameras.html
 
Back
Top