What Did You Love About Tribes 2?

ballpoint

Gawd
Can we get some love in here for my favourite multiplayer game of all time... Tribes 2? A friend gave me his copy just after the game was released, in 2001, because it was too demanding for his computer.

Strong points of T2:

Biggest maps ever in a round-based multiplayer FPS. You could get in a "Shrike" and fly full-speed in one direction for quite some time without any restriction.

Highly varied tactics and modes of combat. Prior to Battlefield, this was the only game I played where you could adapt almost any style to kill the enemy. In fact it offers more variety than the Battlefield series. Sometimes you want to be Heavy Armour with mortars, which basically makes you a walking tank. Other times you want to be Scout armour with stealth cloaking and a stun-stick... I used to cloak in front of a "Power-up" pod or teleporter and guys would walk right up to me and I'd stun them. Pwnt!

And who can deny the satisfaction of a long range, midair spinfusor kill?

Too bad they killed the game with some very bad patches. I remember after one of the last patches, the number of players online dropped by about half all of a sudden. This was in the Fall season of 2001.

Does anyone still play this game online? I use to play it all the time but haven't in a few years. Man I loved this game. I wasn't very good at it but I loved it.

I personally loved the huge outdoor maps.

I liked Tribes much more than Tribes 2. Although I am a sucker for pretty much any Tribes game. People in these crap shooters like CS have it soooo easy. Try playing a real shooted with Z-axis movement. Sure you may be able to pwn people with that awp...but try sniping someone flying through air, while you are simultaneously flying in the opposite direction. On top of that you have to keep in mind not to use all your jetpack, else you come crashing to the ground. Now THAT takes skill.

PS. Renegades mod was my favorite. Added good variety of weapons and extra features, and greatly enhanced the defensive capabilities of laying turrets (and forcefields and such)

Did you guys know Sierra made the game public domain, as in completely free, in early 2004? That's less than three years after it was released. It's hard to find a download of the full game now, but I thought that was a pretty cool move.

i loved how every... single... goddamn... game was always completely uneven.. one team was always totally owning/raping the other and it was almost always impossible for the losing team to make any sort of comeback... heh but for those times where I got to be on the winning team I did have a lot of fun.. my favorite thing ever was to go into the enemy base with a satchel and if i was skilled (or lucky) enough to get down to the generator room and blow them with the satchel, that was the best feeling since I basically took down their whole defenses.. and after that I'd throw down mines so when the enemy guys come down to repair them they get blown to pieces ahaha now that was the best :p

Slarti, if this thread is going to be locked then I apologize. If it should be in General Gaming, well, I guess it might. :D

T2 was the first with the integrated community. Need a player lookup, blammo, right in the game. Need a clan lookup, blammo right in the game. Need the IRC channel for the tribe in question, blammo right in game. Need developer news and updates... yup, there it is, in the game. Friggin fantastic concept. This is 2001 and they had a grand concept and pretty good execution.

T2 still looks ahead of the times, it doesn't show its age like Q3 games do. The rabid community made some great and balanced maps for tournament use. The Tribes community (for better or for worse) made the game what it is.

Boy I miss tribes. Actually, I miss Dynamix :p

Gameplay, T2 > T1 in my opinion. I loved them both, but give me T2 over T1.

T2 was a lot of fun and that was the game that got me hooked on MPFPS games. (first time I had high-speed, too) It did have great big maps and excellent open spaces to roam around.

Hey btw... OP have you played BF2? The 64-player maps are just as big if not bigger. ;)

Nothin' like a mid-air spinfuser kill like you said. :D VERY satisfying. I also enjoyed the chaingun in the juggernaut kit.

BF2 is pretty much the only MPFPS I play these days. I disagree about the map size. I'm pretty sure a lot of maps in T2 were bigger than the biggest BF2 map.

I had forgotten the joy of satchel charging the enemy generator. That was my favourite assignment. You get a real sense of accomplishment seeing all the dead enemy equipment. It's also great fun to booby trap the gens for the repair guys who come to fix the damage.

I also forgot about how sweet the in game "voice tree" was. It was so extensive compared to what you get in BF2... you could say just about anything. A lot of the voice commands had animations attached as well. "Shazbot!"

Lately I've been thinking how good T2 would look at 2560 x 1600.

OMG, T2 was my favorite MP game of all time!!! :D

I had dialup when I first played it though, but I stilled tried to be a sniper :) I got pretty good at it but I was eventually blessed with cable.

I used to plan super fast escape routes and do ultra fast flag runs. It was so exhilerating going 400mph in the land speeder bike hopping out and swooping by the flag going half the speed of light :p

My cousin at the time never played FPS games (he was a RTS guy) but he absolutely LOVED this game. He spent hours as the engineer.

As said before, the added fully 3d combat really took alot of skill. If you died you know it was because you were bested, not BS. If you are good at Tribes you can easily be good at all other games.

I GOT YOUR NUMBER, I GOT ALL YOUR NUMBERS!!!!!! :p

i played T1 for sometime owning.. T1 was def one of the best games of all time cheats killed that game

The only reason why T2 survived was the great gaming community who saved the game by updating the play style a bit and putting in cheat detection etc. Overall the game was ahead of its time with the clan system in place.

It is probably still my favorite game to play and our clan still plays it in 60-70 person matches on occasion to bring back the memories. The best part was the maps never got stagnant as there was huge new map packs ever couple of months that made competition fun.

I really liked Tribes. I think what killed it was the fragmentation of the servers into different mods. I started playing before there were 30 different server types that you had to dl different stuff to play. I think a new player might have been overwhelmed with the mod choices avialable. It also fragmented the player base (i.e. I liked playing classic Tribes but the number of classic servers kept going down). I was hoping Tribes 2 would clean this up a bit but the crappyness of the initial release destroyed Tribes for me. The last time I loaded up Tribes 2 to see how everything was going I found that the automatic updating was borked and when I finally got it running the whole server/mod situation was starting to look like Tribes 1 again. Of course now I want to go home and load up Tribes 2 again...

i miss tribes 2 so much.........I wished Tribes Vengeance hadn't sucks....Irrational really took the wrong course with that game......more people still play T2 than people that still play TV.

hungryduck said:
i miss tribes 2 so much.........I wished Tribes Vengeance hadn't sucks....Irrational really took the wrong course with that game......more people still play T2 than people that still play TV.

So true. Tribes Vengeance is just a UT2004 mod, or at least that's what it feels like. And I can't stand UT.

God I love Tribes and Tribes 2. With the Shifter or Renegades mods. I have had more fun with those shooters than any other shooter. Maybe more than any other game period. I'd i've been gaming since the pong console.

Maybe i'll setup a Tribes 2 server next week for us to play on.

Archer75 said:
So true. Tribes Vengeance is just a UT2004 mod, or at least that's what it feels like. And I can't stand UT.

God I love Tribes and Tribes 2. With the Shifter or Renegades mods. I have had more fun with those shooters than any other shooter. Maybe more than any other game period. I'd i've been gaming since the pong console.

Maybe i'll setup a Tribes 2 server next week for us to play on.

Please tell me you've played the Meltdown II mod, MITZI NUKES :D

Man, I loooooooved this game. One of my top-5 games of all time. I remeber the morning I got it... I wasn't too excited about it, installed it and almost ate breakfast before I tried it out. After firing it up, I didn't eat again for another 16 hours :D

Just so freaking awesome. I loved all the different armor loadouts and options. A scout with an energy pack was soooooo fun to run around with, but doing the juggernaut thing was fun too. Jet packs are so underrated. I don't understand why we don't see them in more games...

For me, no other shooter has came close to the fun factor of this game. Too bad the sequel fucking sucked...

You know what else was awesome? Flying around on a transport as a heavy, dropping mortars onto the battlefield. With a good pilot and one or two guys with flares, you could totally pwn. If you guys set up that T2 server, let me know. I think I will have to reinstall it!

Tribes 2 is the best multiplayer game ever. I still play from time to time.

Skiing was the best in Classic... Stealing the flag always got my adrenalin going. No other game can do that to me. Man, it was the best...

Going on bombing runs was awesome too, if you had a good gun man and a tailgunner with a sensor jammerpack.

Teamwork in tribes was cool because if you played your role properly you were helping your team even as a lonewolf. Of course, I liked the role of annoying bastard!

I wish T:V had done better. :(

Tribes 2 is great. There are still a handful of people still playing. I play Classic and there are 2 or 3 populated servers still. I would be up for a [H] T2 game sometime :D

Back