What did you have to do for your audio gear?

Pinipig523

[H]ard|Gawd
Another little topic that came into my head this morning...

What did some of you guys have to do for your audio equipment?

Like, did you have to work overtime a few days? Did you have to sacrifice getting something else instead? Did you stop going out to dinner for a few weeks?

I'm carrying on a torrid affair with an incredibly hot 40-something brunette who scored a massive divorce settlement from her idiot multi-millionaire ex-husband. She buys me whatever I want. Life is very, very, very good. :D

1. I ate Ramen Noodles for 2 months to acquire my speaker.

2. I haven't bought any new shirts/pants/clothes except for a few here and there to pay for my preamp.

3. I did an arbitrage on a robot dog Aibo (bought for $2K on the forums, sold for $3K on ebay later that week) to pay for my amp.

4. At present, I'm working on minimizing expenses to pay for the turntable I just received. This includes not buying Halo 3 but instead playing on my friend's 360, making sure the A/C is off when I leave the apt, minimizing dinners outside, driving in my G coupe a bit less to save on gas.

Bottomline, I don't owe any credit card company anything for my gear. However, getting good sound is tough.

I quit smoking 2 months ago

saved me bout $450

landed me a receiver, pair of RTI4's, and a PSW10 sub for $430 total (including optical cable, sub cable, speaker wire, etc)

:D

healthy and listening in style!

4. At present, I'm working on minimizing expenses to pay for the turntable I just received. This includes not buying Halo 3 but instead playing on my friend's 360, making sure the A/C is off when I leave the apt, minimizing dinners outside, driving in my G coupe a bit less to save on gas.

Depending on what temperatures we're talking about, it may be cheaper for you to leave your A/C on

I quit smoking 2 months ago

saved me bout $450

landed me a receiver, pair of RTI4's, and a PSW10 sub for $430 total (including optical cable, sub cable, speaker wire, etc)

:D

healthy and listening in style!

Congrats on über willpower, wish I had the cahonas to quit smoking

Congrats on über willpower, wish I had the cahonas to quit smoking

You should. The one thing that gets people to quit is a life-changing/altering event. Be it an MI (myocardial infarct), stroke, or cancer. I find it amazing that only when a patient gets diagnosed with esophageal cancer does the thought of quitting smoking occur... and when the pt finds out that even with the best surgeons and oncologists, the survival rate beyond 1 year is like 5%, then they wish they would've quit sooner.

Bottomline, you should quit smoking. It's just bad news.

one year of minimum wage, ramen and hotdogs... not the all meat ones either. no credit so all used gear with cash and svs got my tax return check.

to say it in style with BTO: ....working overtime...

at least it helped when i bought my first hi-fi equipment ~10 years ago.
today i earn enough money for some nice toys now and then. ;)

Explain please.

Well, for example, I know of a lot of people who have experimented with leaving their thermometers at a constant temperature versus on/off or low during the day higher during the night, and setting it at a constant temperature has always won out. I know my school is wasting a bunch of money because they turn the air conditioners off when no one is around and then kick them back on to cool the building down before things start.
If we're talking about a window unit or the like, it could be different.

Well, for example, I know of a lot of people who have experimented with leaving their thermometers at a constant temperature versus on/off or low during the day higher during the night, and setting it at a constant temperature has always won out. I know my school is wasting a bunch of money because they turn the air conditioners off when no one is around and then kick them back on to cool the building down before things start.
If we're talking about a window unit or the like, it could be different.

Old window unit.. very inefficient. I found that my electric bill is 30% less ever since I started turning it off when I left for the day.

Back