• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

What defines a 'crapper'?

What is the threshold for "crapper" boxen?

  • It ain't a crapper if it runs!

    Votes: 9 12.7%
  • <=100MHz

    Votes: 5 7.0%
  • <=333MHz

    Votes: 5 7.0%
  • <=500MHz

    Votes: 17 23.9%
  • <=800MHz

    Votes: 14 19.7%
  • <=1GHz

    Votes: 13 18.3%
  • <=1.5GHz

    Votes: 1 1.4%
  • <=2GHz

    Votes: 2 2.8%
  • Anything less than an Athlon 64 X2 4800

    Votes: 5 7.0%

  • Total voters
    71

Mohonri

Supreme [H]ardness
2FA
Joined
Jul 29, 2005
Messages
5,775
Just out of curiosity, What is the threshold between a decent machine and a 'crapper'?
 
I'd say a P3 era machine would be a crapper, and newer than that is decent.
So P3's, old T-birds (slot A's), and earlier.

 
I'd say sub 700 or so, mostly the stuff that doesn't reliably hit deadlines. Although our resident crapper king/queen would know for sure. :D

 
I try to stick with chips that have on die L2 cache, that means Coppermine 600s and up. Some older Celerons fir the bill too though, so I voted for 500 and down. My Dual PIII 550s just barely make the cut :D
 
I see them as below 1GHz. By that def, I have a few P3 crappers running myself. I think the slowest proc I'm running is a P3-850. It does make deadlines on 600 pointers, but it takes about 8-10 days of 24/7 folding.

Edit: I forgot about my Dual P3-550. It runs timeless tinkers and I don't even monitor it anymore.
 
< 1 GHz.... I don't have any currently... but I started out with a few.... my slowest is my Athlon 2000+....


Keep on Folding!! For the [H]orde!!

 
I would consider anything sub 1 Ghz as a crapper. I'm running a dually PII 266, PIII 600@500 and PIII 667 right now and every one of them I consider a crapper. Well, the dually I don't consider a crapper since it actually gets the most use out of any of my machines, but that is a different story.

I think crappers are systems that will fold just fine but take a good long while to process the WU's and generally aren't the best deal on cost/performance.

 
Al Bundy defined a crapper very well, and to qualify as a true crapper it must hold 2.5 gallons or more of water….in spite of those damn government regulations.

Not sure what a “Crapper” has to do with folding though, unless you consider it a place to sit and watch……………. :rolleyes:
 
I, for one, am agast at the term "crapper." I will not have my garden spoken of in such disrespectful terms! :D

 
BillR said:
Al Bundy defined a crapper very well, and to qualify as a true crapper it must hold 2.5 gallons or more of water….in spite of those damn government regulations.

Yes... those evil evil low flows.... and their minute 1.6 gallons... :D

 
p[H]ant0m said:
Yes... those evil evil low flows.... and their minute 1.6 gallons... :D


Not to mention it doesn't do any good since you have to flush twice to get the damn toilet emptied anyway. At least, if you are a real man it takes two flushes. :p

 
SmokeRngs said:
Not to mention it doesn't do any good since you have to flush twice to get the damn toilet emptied anyway. At least, if you are a real man it takes two flushes. :p


There are some newer 1.6G ones that work quite well. There was a special on PBS a couple years ago about them. It was funny since we all ate tons of beans the night before, and we were all still drunk.
 
I've got a 1.2ghz Tbird that'd take offense to being called a crapper..

Sadly though, recently got ravaged for parts.. nothing critical gone, I'm pretty sure the motherboard, CPU, fans, and HD are still intact. get a little extra cash, I'm suddenly feeling like I should rush getting it back together.

And get Mage's FoldZigix on it ;) (for great justice)
 
sandmanx said:
There are some newer 1.6G ones that work quite well. There was a special on PBS a couple years ago about them. It was funny since we all ate tons of beans the night before, and we were all still drunk.


I have a low flow Toilet, flapperless toilet called the Niagra.


Let me tell you, When it can flush a 2 foot long extrusion the thickness of a grown womans wrist, on a single flush....I consider it a good god damn crapper. :D
 
Komataguri said:
When it can flush a 2 foot long extrusion the thickness of a grown womans wrist

I totally thought that said "grown womans WAIST" the first time I read that.

Needless to say, my eyes about popped out of my skull!


 
I like how some of you define a crapper being 500mhz or slower, heck I might as well shut off my farm because all of it is crappers.

That would actually mean the only fast pc I have is my 2.4ghz p4, which if I fold and game at the same time kills my game with memory depletion.

if you were in my shoes, crappers is the way to go and like I say:

I'm looking for a Job so, No Job= No Money
and No Money= can't build high end pc's to fold with hence, a farm of crappers.
 
I think my Duron 850 is a crapper - but then again, I do have an 1100 and a 1200 online as well, so it's not too far behind. The 2800, 3000, 3000 and 3700 dwarf all three - but I keep 'em online.

I think anything at or under 850 is a crapper. :)

 
You need to calculate the cost per point to decide what is what. Long-term most under 2 gig machines just cost too much to operate from an electricity point of view.

I remember when I started 5 to 600 Megs was the thing, but that passed really fast with these new work units.
 
Under 100mhz, a year ago what you define as "crapper" was my main PC!, P3 866mhz

I'm about ready to get the folding rigs going again. yay
 
Back
Top