What could be wrong?

asianguy80

[H]ard|Gawd
Hi all,

I'm trying to reuse my old 939 system. I was using it before I jumped up to AM2. Here are the system specs:

Opteron 185
2GB G.Skill
Asus A8N32-SLI Dlx / eVGA NF4 MoBo
eVGA 7900GS
WD 320GB
BenQ 1625 DVD-RW
Forton Blue Storm 500W PSU
Various fans and what not

The PC was just sitting attached to the mobo tray from my stacker so I put it into another case and hooked everything back up. All was fine when I plugged everything in and then the green light on the mobo lit up so I assumed all was fine. I plug in the monitor, kb, and mouse. Power on and all the fans start spinning but nothing is happening. No signal to the monitor, no clicking hard drive (or HD light) but the DVD seems to be spinning.

I swap out video cards to my back up X300 thinking something may have happened to the 79GS. Do the swap and all that power it up and still nothing. No signal to the monitor. I figure it might be the hard drive since I did not format it before installing it. So I format it on my main PC. Plug it back into the 939 system and still nothing. No signal to the monitor or no post screen at all.

I figure I could use my other 939 board a eVGA NF4 mobo. I redo the whole set up on the eVGA mobo. The same thing happens. I'm not sure what I can do now to fix the problem. Everything seems to be working fine but two vid cards that don't send signal, a brand new hard drive that works on one machine but not the other, and I've reset the CMOS on both mobo's before starting up as well.

Any help is appreciated so thanks in advance guys!

Try a minimum build, starting with the processor, the motherboard, and one stick of RAM, and "build up" from there. You may want to also check out the troubleshooting sticky for more ideas and/or suggestions.

Given the age of everything, you may also want to consider upgrading the PSU.

Alright. I didn't think to look there because I figure I've been building PC's for people for the longest time but I figure its time for a refresher for me :p Thanks guys.

Post results here. If it does not beep without ram nor vidcard, its either the cpu, mobo, or psu.

Did you remember to plug in that extra 4pin power connector next to the CPU? Sounds stupid but that's the first thing that popped in my mind when you were describing the problem.

^

Yup I did check and recheck all the connections to make sure everything was right. I already ordered up a new PSU and will try to see how the beeps come. The thing is with the system it doesn't even post ...which is weird.

I've got an old socket A clunker here I put together from old parts. It does the same thing. It stalls when you first power it up with no video, but if I hit then press the reset button it will boot up no problem. My first suspect is the power supply but I don't have another one to swap out at the moment. Trouble shooting it isn't on the top of my list of things to do so it will wait until I get a round toit. ;)

Try a minimum build, starting with the processor, the motherboard, and one stick of RAM, and "build up" from there. You may want to also check out the troubleshooting sticky for more ideas and/or suggestions.

Given the age of everything, you may also want to consider upgrading the PSU.

I would definitely do this but, take it one step further by setting up outside the case. Sounds like you could be shorting out the MB on the case.

Back