What could be the problem?

DaLurker

[H]ard|Gawd
Recently I've started getting issues booting with my system. You can see my system specifications in my signature and indeed is an overclocked system. However before any of these incidents, it was 100% stable (50+ hour Prime 95 stable, 24+ hours Memtest68 Stable, 6+ hour gaming stable, 24 hour 3dmark Loop stable).

My problems all started about 2 weeks ago. I decided to take my system out and top off my resovoir. All that required was unplugging everything from the back of the computer, sliding out the resovoir a bit, put water in and then put everything back.

After plugging everything back into my system, I started experience problems. First issue I had was I got a Can not read disk error. It asked me to CTRL+ALT+DEL. It seemed weird to me I was having this problem since my drive was 100% fine before that.

Anyways I rebooted and decided i should check my BIOS. Upon entering my BIOS, I get a Display mode not supported. This is a new monitor I'm running on (Dell 2005FPW) but as far as I know, there shouldn't be an issue since BIOS modes should be 640x480 @ 60hz.

After a few cold and warm reboots, the system finally let me into the BIOS. I checked all my settings, and everything was fine. Confused, i tried to boot into windows again.

This time I got a config file missing error instead of a can not read disk drive error. Still perplexed, i tried rebooting a few more times. I still ran into the same issues. Sometimes I get the Can not read disk error, and other times I get the windows missing file error.

I then took some time to check to make sure all my components were plugged in. It seemed fine but I was still getting the same errors when i tried to reboot. I tried different SATA slots, different cables etc.

I finally decided to clear my CMOS and reset up my settings. I was still getting the same issues booting though.

I finally let my computer sit a while, rechecked the settings and gave it another boot. This time it went straight into windows.

I started using my computer and noticed things were slow. After checking everything, it seems Windows for some reason set the SATA speed to PIO4 (or whatever the restricted setting is). I reset it back to SATA 1 1.5g and everything was fine.

Fast forward to today. I went home for lunch and was playing some Battlefield 2. About 20 minutes in my system locked up. This normally doesn't happens and like I said before my system is 100% stable so I was confused.

I hit the reset button and I was greeted with the Can not read disk error. I checked all the connections, checked my bios and a few reboots later I'm getting the missing file error from windows.

Now I'm wondering is it my hard drive that's going? My Windows is on my Raptor drive and I'm running an extended test on it right now. It passed the quick test (took 30 seconds).

I figured it could be 1 of 2 things. It is either my hard drive, or my motherboard. Now normally I'd just assume it was my hard drive but 1, Smart isn't reporting anything and 2, I'm getting that Display out or Range issue.

Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Back