What cooling to get for ocing?

Dolph

Limp Gawd
Im going to have a AMD 3400+ s939, A8V Deluxe Motherboard, OCZ Platinum 2x512 PC3200+ 2-3-2-5. I was going to OC my CPU from 2.2 to up to 2.5, what cooling should i get? ALSO, i have no intention to OC my GPU so i need not get one with GPU cooling.
Or if air cooling would be sufficient...im open to all.Thanks!

BorgBeam said:
Id try for the Koolance Exos Al. Works like a charm i've heard.

Very true. I have one and am very happy with it. For severe OC'ing though it won't cut it.

you can get a nice 1/2" dangerden system for around $150-200, and it will totally outpreform anything by koolance.

V0ltage said:
you can get a nice 1/2" dangerden system for around $150-200, and it will totally outpreform anything by koolance.

Agreed. But for someone's first WC setup it's a very nice first step. It will ease you into the world of WC and get you thoroughly hooked and you'll end up buying a custom rig from Danger Den anyways... so maybe your right. :rolleyes:

Regardless, the Koolance is a nice beginner system.

Dolph said:
Much thanks, lol but the koolance...i would perfer a 5.25 bay one, what's your opinion with this?

http://kingwin.com/pdut_detail.asp?LineID=&CateID=31&ID=187http://kingwin.com/pdut_detail.asp?LineID=&CateID=31&ID=187

I did a couple google searches and couldn't find one review from any site that's reputable on this unit. Kingwin is a good company and it looks like a pretty good kit but I can't help but think that any WC setup that fits in a 5 1/4" bay cant be all that great. Take a look at how the unit vents. It has a vent on top and I'm assuming one on the bottom. That means you probably shouldn't have anything in the adjacent bays so this thing can breath properly and give you it's best cooling performance. That fact alone leads me to believe that you won't get much better than air cooling performance out of this.

Now this Cooler Master setup I think would be much more to your liking. I know it's twice as big and twice as expensive but you'll be more than twice as happy with it. :D Check out this review and this one. I don't have any personal experience with this unit but it did get great reviews. Good luck on whatever you decide on and have fun putting it together.

Personally i would not go w/ anything w/ a 5.25 bay res just bacause I have always had alot of trouble tryin to keep bubbles out of them .... since the fill cap is about the same height as the rest of it u can never fill it all the way up leaving a little bit of air in the top which ends up circulating through ur w/c rig which cuts down on cooling. just my opinion though

Back