What controllercard for my new chassi

olol

n00b
Hello HardForum,

I've recently ordered myself a chassi from supermicro, the SC836BE16-R920B and now I've began to think about what controlelrcard I need for it, it will obviously need to have a 8087 connection internally, and since I will start off with "just" 5 drives, I dont feel the need to have an external connector as of now.

I will be running this card with Ubuntu, but I guess most cards have support by linux kernel?

I've been browsing some cards over at LSI and I have no idea what the differences are, I will use software (mdadm) raid6, so I don'r really need a card with raid capability I guess.

Is there any big performance differences for the setup I'm looking for as long as it's a pci-e x8 card in my mind it should be able to use all the potential of an single 8087 (4*6gbit = 24gbit) also my network will bottleneck way before the harddrives (and controller) does.

TL;DR;
Bought new chassi, need a simple controllercard with a single 8087 connector

Last edited:
if you are not doing hardware raid and using either just independent disks, mdadm or ZFS just go with a m1015 card. They are all over ebay and have 2 SFF-8087 ports on them (8 drives)

I like the card I have.

Havnt really tested and pushed it though. It has 2 types of firmware, Raid, and one that works with expanders that will allow for 254 (or so) hard drived to be connected. In raid mode it supports up to 8 drives.

I seem to recall Linux drivers being available.

Out of curiosity, why get a dedicated card and not use the hardware raid feature?

if you are not doing hardware raid and using either just independent disks, mdadm or ZFS just go with a m1015 card. They are all over ebay and have 2 SFF-8087 ports on them (8 drives)
I will look into the m1015 card, thank you!
I like the card I have.

Havnt really tested and pushed it though. It has 2 types of firmware, Raid, and one that works with expanders that will allow for 254 (or so) hard drived to be connected. In raid mode it supports up to 8 drives.

I seem to recall Linux drivers being available.

Out of curiosity, why get a dedicated card and not use the hardware raid feature?

I will look into your card as well, the one that works with expanders sounds quite interesting!

I will be using software raid and a dedicated card because the Chassi I've chosen have an active backplane which supports up to 122(or so) disks on a single SFF-8087 connector, without the active backplane I would have needed an controllercard with four SFF-8087 connectors, and even with that I would not be able to connect any more harddrives, so I felt that this chassi with a single SFF-8087 was the one with the best features for the future if I need I can just buy another jbod chassi and add tons of disks.

Br
Olol

Back