What color laser printer

MoFo

Quakecon Guy
I need a color laser printer for home use...this will be use mostly by my daughter mostly for school stuff...would like it to be network ready...also not looking to brake the bank but know they are more that a ink jet

any input would be great

thanx

Printers aren't what we normally research here, so it would help us if you were to answer a few questions:

How much, at most (including taxes and shipping costs) are you willing to spend?

Will you or your daughter be printing photos or pictures in addition to text? If so, will you need to print high quality/resolution pictures/photos?

Do you want a standalone printer or a multifunction printer? If you need/want an MFP, do you need scan, copy, or fax functions?

Do you want wired Ethernet or wireless (802.11g/n) network capability?

Do you have any preference towards certain brands/manufacturers? Are there any that you wish to avoid?

tiraides, thanx for the reply

How much, at most (including taxes and shipping costs) are you willing to spend? 350 less if possible

Will you or your daughter be printing photos or pictures in addition to text? some but dont need high quality...not looking to print pictures to pass around just project stuff for school

Do you want a standalone printer or a multifunction printer? just print, scan would be nice but not needed

Do you want wired Ethernet or wireless (802.11g/n) network capability? wired, we have capabilities for wireless but know that it would bring the cost up

Do you have any preference towards certain brands/manufacturers? Are there any that you wish to avoid? no preference as long as it gets the job done

thanx

FYI, the Samsung CLP-315 doesn't have any networking capability.

IIRC, Samsung, HP, and Brother make decent laser printers. (Everyone have their own preferences, so I can't say that one brand is better than the others.) Canon is hit-or-miss, I haven't heard of any Epson laser printers, and I avoid Lexmark like the plague (I have a personal history of issues with Lexmark printers).

From NewEgg, here are a few color laser printers that are $300 or less (before shipping/taxes or any discounts) and weigh less than 50 pounds:

$225 - HP LaserJet CP1518ni (CC378A)
$250 - HP LaserJet Pro CP1025NW (CE914A)
$250 - Brother HL-3070CW
$300 - HP LaserJet Pro CP1525nw (CE875A)
$300 - Samsung CLX-3175FW (MFP)

To be honest, I haven't conducted any research on these printers, so I can't say which, if any, is the best among this group. Naturally, you should also take into consideration the cost of toner cartridges, which can be a deal-breaker over the long run.

Nice combo.

Conduct some research on the printer to ensure that you'll be able to use the Rosewill toner cartridges with it.

first off thanx for the replies :)

I went with the HP LaserJet CP1518ni it was very easy to set up and the print quality is very good.

Comes with a toner starter kit and from looking at the "supplies status" we have over 700 pages remaining and if we get that I will be happy...

anyway just wanted to say thanx and post the outcome :)

Last edited:
Not a problem. Glad to see that those "questions" helped you make your decision.

Back