What clocks on GTX 780 would match ti performance?

Hurin

2[H]4U
Howdy all,

Has anyone seen any reviews pitting the GTX 780 ti against an overclocked GTX 780? I'd like to get a sense of how far I'll need to push my GTX 780 in order to get a "free upgrade" to a stock ti. If that's even possible.

1920x1200 is my favored resolution at this point.

--H

It would have to be pretty high to match the 780 Ti Stock given most reviews of a 780 OC against a Titan pretty much neck and necked it with a Titan stock. Really depends on what 780 you're thinking of purchasing.

I got my EVGA 780 SC ACX up to 1188 (w/Boost) running solid and could probably tweak it up to or past 1200 without putting too much effort into doing so. But that would be the clock rate I'd shoot for, that'll put you in the ballpark.

Small Comparison:

http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/evga_geforce_gtx_780_sc_acx_review,26.html

http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/geforce_gtx_780_ti_review,28.html

If you got the EVGA SC edition you could slap a +75 on the already OC'd Core and not run into problems. That's what I did myself and I feel confident that anyone buying that card could do so.

Last edited:
There's a review that shows the 780 Ghz Edition is already about equal to a 780 Ti. That's not the max overclock you could get on it, either.

The GTX 780 uses 12 SMX units, the GTX Titan uses 14, and the GTX 780 Ti uses all 15 SMX units that GK110 has to offer. That, in theory, would give the 780 Ti a 25% advantage over the 780 at the same clock speeds.

From the conclusion of the HardOCP review of the 780 Ti: "We saw some results above 20% better framerate performance with the GTX 780 Ti over the GTX 780." So in real world you're not always seeing that full advantage from the increased SMX units.

I don't think there are games out right now written in code to take advantage of extra SMX units and all the shader cores.

you better off with a high quality 780 that can hit 1300mhz.

A GTX 780 at around 1100 should match a stock GTX 780 Ti or even beat it slightly. A GTX 780 at 1000 MHz beats a Titan stock.

My GTX 780 (evga, standard clock) doesn't seem to be much of an overclocker.

Here's what I was able to settle upon as stable (2 hours of FireStrike Extreme looped):

GPU Core +137 (Boosts to solid 1097 MHz core in Firestrike)
Mem + 500 (7012 MHz)

Overvoltage didn't give me any increase in stability or higher clocks.

So, that's decent I guess. Though probably not Ti-level.

--H

GPU Core +137 (Boosts to solid 1097 MHz core in Firestrike)
That seems... oddly high. I can boost to 1097 core by setting +80.

I know it has to do with the quality of the core, but that much variance between samples seems like a lot.

I dunno dudes. Looking at the benchmarks of OC edition 780ti's, I kinda doubt a vanilla 780 could match that performance. Look:

GTX-780-TI-GB-51.jpg

Once the custom windforce 3 780ti is overclocked, it is almost has 40% more performance of the stock reference 780 :eek:

Of course if you do an apples to apples reference to reference comparison the 780 probably could meet the 780ti, but i'm not sure what clockspeed. But I do not think a vanilla 780 will
catch up to a custom aftermarket 780ti......heck, the custom 780ti cards are passing the GTX 690 by a sizable margin. ;)

I know it has to do with the quality of the core, but that much variance between samples seems like a lot.

Well, my card boosts to 1163 MHz at stock. :p Ram would probably go near 7 GHz but at the moment I run them at 6,7 GHz.

^ Yeah he specifically referred to "Stock 780 Ti" and you can get pretty damn close if not beat it if you're lucky, but once you OC the 780 Ti the gap becomes just as normal if you compared a 780 > 780 Ti stock for stock.

Not to mention, the biggest differences you will notice even between a 780 OC vs 780 Ti (stock) comes at higher resolutions. At 1080p or below they look very close, but it starts to branch out pretty quickly at higher resolutions.

What can I say? Mine's a dud.

--H

^ Yeah he specifically referred to "Stock 780 Ti" and you can get pretty damn close if not beat it if you're lucky
Would be interesting to see someone graph the GTX 780's clockspeed-scaling against a reference model Titan and 780 Ti.

I've got a 780 here that will do 1300MHz core (before even getting into voltage mods), but I don't have a 780 Ti to compare against.

Back