What choices do I have

maverick786us

2[H]4U
As long awaited Hasewell turned out to be a disappointed for our enthusastic community. IB had that crappy IHS and SB is 2 generations old. I waited for almost an year for Haswell so that I have a perfect gaming rig using which I can game @ 2560 X 1600 resolution. Which processor should I use which I can combine with GTX 770 to game at this resolution?

I play at that res with my system below.

I am only really CPU limited in Planetside 2 now and even then it's about 50/50 between it and GPU.

Buying a used Q9650 (as long as you can push 4ghz + out of it) might not be a bad deal until next year.

I personally will try to push my chip to 4.5Ghz, hopefully it'll last a year, otherwise I'll get the new -E coming out in Sept.

Last edited:
Your best bet is still Haswell especially considering the current sales. If you have a Microcenter near you Haswell is a no brainier.

There is a lot of disappointment here because it's not "that much better" but it is still better than IB. The $279.99 4770k at MC is a steal if you can hit 4.2ghz or higher. You'll see MASSIVE improvements over your current cpu.

Most of the disappoint is coming from people like me who have an i7 series chip with a solid overclock already. Going from what you have you'll be plenty happy.

Your best bet is still Haswell especially considering the current sales. If you have a Microcenter near you Haswell is a no brainier.

There is a lot of disappointment here because it's not "that much better" but it is still better than IB. The $279.99 4770k at MC is a steal if you can hit 4.2ghz or higher. You'll see MASSIVE improvements over your current cpu.

Most of the disappoint is coming from people like me who have an i7 series chip with a solid overclock already. Going from what you have you'll be plenty happy.

Thank you. Which IHS does Haswell uses? I hope it doesn't use the IHS used by IB?

Thank you. Which IHS does Haswell uses? I hope it doesn't use the IHS used by IB?

It has nothing to do with the IHS, it is the TIM between the IHS and cpu that is the issue..And to answer your question, yes it is the same, and actually seems to be worse then IB atm..:(

imo it isn't better, it has a bit better IPC but it also overclocks less, total difference= none or negligible.

In the case of the OP, there is no point in buying outdated tech with IB when he is moving platforms anyway.

It's a different story for him than most of us since he is on a platform where pretty much everything (cpu, mobo, ram) will need to be replaced.

If you're penny pinching and can only hit 4.2GHz on Haswell, it makes sense to buy a IVB combo at MC instead, since a 4.2GHz Haswell ~= 4.5GHz IVB (special cases like AVX2 aside).

3770K + Asrock Extreme6 = $349.98 + tax
4770K + MSI Z87-GD65 = $454.98 + tax

I have two of the 3770K combos sitting unopened (in additon to another two 3770K + open box Sabertooth Z77 combos). Will wait to hear back from other folks as to how high the 4770K OCs, what are the typical volts/temps and what kind of cooling is required (ASUS' data aside).

If getting 4.6GHz with something like an Antec 920 or Corsair H100 is doable with 90C max, then I wouldn't mind jumping in. 30% more (~$110 after taxes) for 10% more performance plus the newer platform isn't too bad.

Its said that Haswell are good for 99% people who are mainstream users. What I didn't get quite well is, these K series processors are designed for technical enthusastics like us. So why is it that intel made these processors so hard to overclock?

Its said that Haswell are good for 99% people who are mainstream users. What I didn't get quite well is, these K series processors are designed for technical enthusastics like us. So why is it that intel made these processors so hard to overclock?

That is a misconception. Intel doesnt make them harder or easier to overclock. It's all about the quality of the build in manufacturing. Intel will make CPUs to meet the performance envelope they specify. Anything beyond that (overclocking) is pure luck on how well a chip was made. Intel only promises what they advertise. All the K series does is remove a multiplier lock, rest of it is still luck.

We got spoiled for a while because Intel became VERY good at manufacturing and the chips could be pushed much further than what Intel rated them to do. This time around it seems the complexity of Haswell is pushing manufacturing to the limit and we don't have as much wiggle room.

Remember, the moment you overclock you are running a chip beyond what Intel says it will function at.

I play at that res with my system below.

I am only really CPU limited in Planetside 2 now and even then it's about 50/50 between it and GPU.

Buying a used Q9650 (as long as you can push 4ghz + out of it) might not be a bad deal until next year.

I personally will try to push my chip to 4.5Ghz, hopefully it'll last a year, otherwise I'll get the new -E coming out in Sept.

+1

I did this and went from Q6600 3.2Ghz to Q9550 4Ghz and am almost always at 60 FPS in BF3 with everything on in multi. I almost went 2011 with the 3820, which IMO is what an enthusiast should buy... Now that I sold, I'm again waiting for a good sale on a 2011 board and 3820 CPU.

Back