What certification?

jyi786

Supreme [H]ardness
My new job requires me to get either A+, SSCP, or Network+ cert. What is the best one that is the most future proof that I will actually be able to apply in real world scenario?

Thanks!

I'm not really sure if any of those are really in the same category. Are you going into security? Or are you going to be working in a tech bench type of atmosphere.

SSCP or Network +

Honestly, A+ means you "know" the basics of assembly and troubleshooting of a desktop and that's about it. How are you networking skills? If you're just starting out, go for the Net+ first and then the SSCP. Net +, you'll be able to pass within a few weeks of study or sooner depending on your comfort with networking.

SSCP or Network +

Honestly, A+ means you "know" the basics of assembly and troubleshooting of a desktop and that's about it. How are you networking skills? If you're just starting out, go for the Net+ first and then the SSCP. Net +, you'll be able to pass within a few weeks of study or sooner depending on your comfort with networking.

I agree with this plan.

I agree with this plan.

I just checked with work, and it has to be one of the following:

A+
Network+
SSCP

They said that MCDST 70-271/272 can replace the A+.

I guess the MCDST is the best one to do, then. About the networking, I'm definitely no novice, but not a wizard; I'm advanced. I want to take the cert that will give me the most worth in the future. A+ won't do that for me.

I just checked with work, and it has to be one of the following:

A+
Network+
SSCP

They said that MCDST 70-271/272 can replace the A+.

I guess the MCDST is the best one to do, then. About the networking, I'm definitely no novice, but not a wizard; I'm advanced. I want to take the cert that will give me the most worth in the future. A+ won't do that for me.

the easiest is A+ but for future value, the SSCP

Depends on your knowledge level and the job requirements. A+ & Net+ get it before Jan. 1st and it will last a lifetime.

If you want to go into networking, I'd probably start with the Net+. Once you get into the industry and gain experience, the A+/Net+ will become worthless.

Just say you could get the MCDST. I'd do that. It has more long term potential, I think.

the easiest is A+ but for future value, the SSCP

What's the job?

Depends on your knowledge level and the job requirements. A+ & Net+ get it before Jan. 1st and it will last a lifetime.

If you want to go into networking, I'd probably start with the Net+. Once you get into the industry and gain experience, the A+/Net+ will become worthless.

Just say you could get the MCDST. I'd do that. It has more long term potential, I think.

Sorry for not updating this thread earlier.

In the meantime I successfully got the MCDST 70-271 as well as my Security+ :). Apparently, there are 2 parts to the requirement; a technical as well as an IA cert. So this covers both. :D The job is with a federal contractor with DoD.

Sorry for not updating this thread earlier.

In the meantime I successfully got the MCDST 70-271 as well as my Security+ :). Apparently, there are 2 parts to the requirement; a technical as well as an IA cert. So this covers both. :D The job is with a federal contractor with DoD.

Congrats on the accomplishments :cool: I got my Sec+ couple days before Christmas

MCDST isn't going to be updated like other certificates.. however you can upgrade to MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technican 7 (yes Windows 7) with only one exam.

Back