What causes with with wireless network (screenshot)

bjxxx

n00b
Joined
Jan 13, 2007
Messages
49
wirelessxb9.jpg


For more than 2 years I've been using wireless network (no other networks, same hardware as usual) but for a month now I've been having non stop problems, randomly Windows Task Manager shows the "Link Speed" fluctuate between 1Mbit to 54Mbit (the usual for many years)

As shown in the screenshot, every minute or so the link sped decreases to 1Mbit and climbs up to 54Mbit again.

A clean format doesn't help.
 
My GE cordless phone kills our wireless. My wife kept calling me, "my computer connection is down".... only for it to start later.

You on the phone - or someone near you have a 2.4GHz phone?
 
Like above said, check the immediate area for any potential forms of interference.

Also, follow the usual troubleshooting methods:

- any hardware changes recently?
- have you tried a different WiFi adapter?
- different computer?
- have you tried accessing a different WAP?
- any software changes immediately prior to the problem?
 
Have any other new networks appeared in your area? I have been having fluctuating signal problems lately due to another network being on a conflicting channel.
 
Microwaves and just about any wireless device (even at a neighbor's house) can cause interferance.
 
I've tried multiple adapters, both PCI and USB, none fix the problem, some downgrade to 1Mbit and stay there and not go back up to 54Mbit until I reboot or replug them.

I've replaced the WiFi router with an old Linksys one and it seems to have helped.

new2cp7.jpg


I intend to buy the Belkin Wireless-G+ MIMO router and MIMO USB adapter, is it really an upgrade from standard Wireless-G?
 
You've tried multiple adapters, but have you tried multiple PCs?

Is this a laptop or a desktop where you are having the issue?

I'm leaning heavily toward blaming the WAP at this point, but I have seen issues in the past where adapters that seemed awful with one laptop work perfectly with another... I always assumed it was a driver conflict.


Another stupid thing to try is to set the connection up and (if using Windows) go to Network Connections, right click on the wireless connection, and choose repair.

For seemingly incomprehensible reasons, I've seen this improve performance across the board on some WiFi adapters; no explanation why though (it would make sense if it were an improvement with the current connection, but I've seen it improve performance overall)
 
Looks to me that theres a pattern going on there, Both signal patterns have about the same time interval between drops/interferance. my guess is the second router just handles the interferance better. i would try a differant channel, Almost all router use channel 6 by default, so try going to either 11 or 1 and see if it helps. So damn many things anymore use 2.4ghz that it would be near impossible to guess what is causing it.
 
I'm having the same problem. I scanned local networks with my bridge and suddenly there are 6-7 new networks in my area with like 3 or 4 people using the same channel 11 I was using. I switched cahnnels thoguh and it does not help.

Mine fluctuated 48, 38, 1_mb -38- 1- etc then eventualy just drops compleatly. I can't stay connected for more than about an hour now! It suddenly started doing this and I think it's something at the neighbors house but I don't know. I'm thinking to put up foil in my windows and see I can deflect some of the interfearance.???
 
Back
Top