What case should I get?

ytzone

n00b
Hello, I'm wondering what case I should get for my mini ITX build. I've been looking at the Silverstone SG07 and the Lian Li PC-Q08.

Do you have a need for 4-6+ hard drives? If so, then the PC-Q08 is a great option. The PC-Q08 is also bigger when it comes to length and width while the SG-07 is taller in height. The SG-07 can't hold as many hard drives but it does come with a 600W PSU.

No I don't need that many HDDs. But do you still think that the PC-Q08 is better than the SG-07?

Hm I can't say for sure but you should probably take a look at the SG07 thread and the PC-Q08 thread to find out. Not that many people have been using the Q08 for gaming purposes; it's been more towards file serving. Moreover, looking over the SG07 thread, members have been fitting some nice hardware into it like the 5970 and similar cards of that ilk and getting rather decent temperatures.

Just got myself a q08, and so far it looks decent.
Has some problems, such as longer PSU won't fit because of drive cage, but if you build it with just one 2,5" HDD or SSD then you can remove drive cage. Should be good for cooling as well.

Haven't powered it up as I will get my 6870 today, if I make it in time to the shop.

Can't say which will run cooler, but I think for CPU cooling SG07 should be better as there is more room and a bigger fan there. GPU on both cases will be next to a sidepanel with venting holes so there will be plenty cool air either way.

Personaly I chose Q08 because I liked the look of it better and the option to turn it into a file server at some point.

Just got myself a q08, and so far it looks decent.
Has some problems, such as longer PSU won't fit because of drive cage, but if you build it with just one 2,5" HDD or SSD then you can remove drive cage. Should be good for cooling as well.

Haven't powered it up as I will get my 6870 today, if I make it in time to the shop.

Can't say which will run cooler, but I think for CPU cooling SG07 should be better as there is more room and a bigger fan there. GPU on both cases will be next to a sidepanel with venting holes so there will be plenty cool air either way.

Personaly I chose Q08 because I liked the look of it better and the option to turn it into a file server at some point.

Yeah that is a flaw when using a longer PSU in that case. What PSU did you use by the way? I was still able to have the drive cages installed with a Seasonic X650. I just had to have the PSU fan facing CPU in order for the 24 pin connector to fit.

Yeah that is a flaw when using a longer PSU in that case. What PSU did you use by the way? I was still able to have the drive cages installed with a Seasonic X650. I just had to have the PSU fan facing CPU in order for the 24 pin connector to fit.

if you get too long if a PSU with the lian li the PSU extender is only like 16 bucks on newegg & that will eliminate any PSU length problems.

I went with Enermax Pro82+. was warried a bit about it not being modular but the spare cables fit very nicely between the 5,25" bay and side panel on top of the drive cages. so that is no problem what so ever.

Other problem is the cables from fron IO. Power and LED are fine, but the rest are very stiff and I find them to be a little too short. I am not sure if I will be able to nicely pull out the USB3 cables though the back when I have the graphics installed.

I just might go for the PC-Q08 just because it looks cooler. XD

In all honety I think that is the best choice. Go with what looks cooler. What I did and I am happy.

Installed Radeon 6870 last night, runs like a charm. The build might have been a bit sturdier, be careful with handling it with the sidepanels taken off. The fans are fairly quite and the loudest for me at the moment is the CPU fan I belive.

Back