• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

what case should I buy?

Joined
Mar 23, 2013
Messages
53
I've upgraded my computer, and am giving my parts to my friend-- an ATX format motherboard and two 4890 graphics cards in crossfire. He's building a computer from them.

I'll be buying the case and psu from newegg-- there's a modest sale at the moment, never had a problem with them.
Staring down pages of little black thumbnails of cases is not an intelligent way to shop: I really have no idea which one has better cooling or sturdier steel than the next.

For the case, I'm looking for a budget case with good cooling. Guess they're all pretty cheap. I want to add one of the aftermarket convenience one-piece water coolers: so if there are 2 120mm or even 140mm fans somewhere, that could be great. But other coolers just use the 1 120mm fan in back.
Need space for just 2 or 3 hard drives: one is an ssd, so it can go on the side.

I'm also looking for a power supply. These are even more vague with what is best: besides designated wattage, I don't know if some are much more voltage stable than others? Or if one comes with more extra cables, that I'll find I'll need?
I'm wondering a) what kind of power supply is needed for 2 4890s? b) I have a 1000w psu in my own case, but now I only have one 7870 card. One option is that I could give him my 1000w, and in that case, what is a high quality 500w or so psu for me?
 
Last edited:
I have a fractal design Arc Midi and the new revision just came out:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811352008

it is not expensive but it has outstanding cable management options and the possibility to mount water-cooling radiators either in the roof of infront of the drives and can mount a SSD behind the motherboard tray or on any of the drive sleds and it comes with 3 decent 140mm fans and a controller plus the front filter is removable for easy cleaning.

for PSU get a seasonic or a corsair 600-700 watts should be plenty for almost any normal setup unless you are pushing a overclock.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151088

For me at least, my seasonic x750x gold is a rock solid PSU while being silent and it is modular and has a 7 year warranty.

The 80 PLus gold might be slight overkill, but the fact that it is so well made and dead silent while staying really cool means I don't have to worry about my PSU being a source of heat or noise.

the seasonic made corsair models are good too, it just depends on what the sales are.

I don't know for other brands of psu's. Seasonic is the best currently and I don't advise to skimp on PSUs if you like stable long lasting systems but someone else might know of other well reviewed options.

Edit:
I see that there is a nice Seasonic for sale listed here

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1754690
 
Last edited:
Back
Top