What case is better than a stacker?

radnads

n00b
I have had a CM stacker for about 3 years now building new computer but cant find a case that feels like an upgrade from the stacker. What I liked about the stacker:
1- Full tower-lots of room
2- good air flow
3- ease of changing out components
4- usb ports at top/front- perfect since case sits on floor
5- very sturdy- it has been abused by little kids
6- basically easy to add more fans and big

Things I dont like:
1- It always seemed like a loud case-leaks noise
2-could not add fans to front without buying new hard drive cage

http://www.newegg.com/product/product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119039

I have loved the case since I got it. And now that I have been shopping for a new case I havent found one that looks like it would be a step up but Im sure it is out there.

Has anyone went from a stacker 101 to a new full tower case that they thought trumped the stacker?

I have looked at the stacker 830 and didnt like its layout. Im looking to spend about 300 or less.

I think nlancaster hit the nail on the head. The A77 would be perfect. Looks similar, excellent build quality, USB ports where you like them, excellent airflow, removable motherboard tray, VERY spacious, and three hard drive cages with 120 mm fans attached that can be moved between the rear or front of the case for versatility. Not sure about the noise, but if that is a major concern you can probably look toward either the A71B or F chassis if doors aren't a major concern. I too am a fan of Lian-Li. :eek:

Only down side is having children around these cases would make me a nervous wreck. :p

1- It always seemed like a loud case-leaks noise
Had same problem, open design leaks out all noise and makes use of dampening materials futile.
Also non-soft HDD mounting makes them easily hearable by HDD cage acting like diaphragm, worsened by previous point.
3- ease of changing out components
While quick install rails of 5.25" bays are one of the most functional (also allowing easy screw mounting) doing anything with HDDs was rather complex

A77 has soft HDD mounting and more device bays but overall design is same noise leaking so it wouldn't do anything to main problem.
Closed design/door equipped cases are lot better at keeping noise inside.

If I was going to replace mine I'd probably get an A70b or a V2000 if I was keeping it large, qmicra if I wanted something different.

That A77 looks like it has the same listed issue of only allowing addition of front fans by getting more cages. Am I misinterpreting something?

That A77 looks like it has the same listed issue of only allowing addition of front fans by getting more cages. Am I misinterpreting something?

No, you're right to some degree. But with only enough room for one additional 120 MM fan after installing a ODD I wouldn't consider that much of an issue as it already comes with two cages with fans serving as intake fans. The case also supplies a third cage mounted in the top rear PSU tray serving as a second exhaust fan the OP can move to the front.

Well. I also sugested the B71. it even comes with pre applied sound matting on the side panels.

Hrm, realize I'm not the OP, but now I'm curious about this case. If you were then to move the rear hard drive cage to the front, could another fan be mounted there without purchasing another cage? Also, say one were to fill the six hdd slots up front, could that be expected to noticeably impede the cooling ability (given that the air has to come through the heated hdds first) or is there still plenty of a temperature differential between a hot cpu/gpu and a hot hdd such that it doesn't really matter? Alternatively, is it just the case that the air would not be heated enough to make a difference on this pass?

The case also supplies a third cage mounted in the top rear PSU tray serving as a second exhaust fan the OP can move to the front.
That cage is different/not meant to be mounted to 5.25" bays and attaching it would require doing some adapters.

Well. I also sugested the B71. it even comes with pre applied sound matting on the side panels.
That unbranded Akasa crapmat is way too light and thin to do anything usefull and would just cause extra work by being in the way of installing more usefull stuff like bitumen mat. (or similar dense car acoustics mats)
Mass damping would be needed especially because of hard HDD mounting but because of that it would be still just like bailing water from boat after you first made hole to its bottom.
Also no amount of damping materials would do anything to that direct noise escape path with (possibly resonant) intake fans and noisily mounted HDDs behind it.

Also, say one were to fill the six hdd slots up front, could that be expected to noticeably impede the cooling ability
Worrying about one of the least heat producing components but I guess no qualms about even multiple above 50W producing electric heaters?

Well I also meant because they physically take up space where air should flow through. I get the feeling not many people actually fill the bays, so I was wondering if it would be an issue if they were or if my feelings were misguided. Also, given that, is there an idea of the power of gpu cooling in this case? I'd just generally like to know if it's a good case to do an overclock in and if it is also good for keeping video cards cool.

A77's HDD spacing is very loose, one per 5.25" bay... and without very restricted sideway cage and airflow further blocking plastic trays unlike in overhyped Silverstone FT01 where that fact never bothered anyone. And with up to six HDDs you can still have other cage empty by putting three drives to that top cage out of main airflow path. (dual SSD adapters are no problem)
And in case of multiple expansion cards you can increase airflow between them best with this. (Lian Li site has more but I don't link there now because site was obviously cracked and had malware dropper for few days)

Back