What case for new build

Armpit

Gawd
I'm slowly starting to gather components for a new build and I need a case recommendations. I require a case that is roomy and quiet, full-tower or so (I like them big!). I thought of the Lian Li PC-X2000F, but it is quite pricey, might still consider if it is top-notch. Any other I should be on the lookout for? The system will be either a quad-core SB or a hexacore i7 with SLI/Crossfire config, etc.

Im a budget gamer so I dont know a bunch about the pricey cases. I like the Antec Three Hundred. Reasonable price, well built, lots of cooling and room. The Cooler Master Storm Scout is also a great case that goes for around $60.

I was going to get the NZXT Phantom from either Newegg or Amazon for $99 shipped, comes with all the fans you need and has a built in fan controller and great cable management.

I really like the Corsair 800D and 700D. Tons of room, really well conceived internal layout, impossible to do a messy cable job in, and loads of room inside for water cooling and radiators if that's your thing.

http://www.corsair.com/products/800d/default.aspx
http://www.corsair.com/products/700d/default.aspx

Unless you need the hot swap SATA bays and case window, or you can get the 800D for roughly the same price, I just would go with the 700D. You can get both for a very good discount on Amazon right now.

Another case would be Corsair 600T, which is a cheaper version of the other Corsairs. Alternatly you can look at Fractal Design R3

I just moved my stuff into a CoolerMaster HAF922. It's got a ton of room and is VERY quiet. I highly recommend it.

Unless you need the hot swap SATA bays and case window, or you can get the 800D for roughly the same price, I just would go with the 700D. You can get both for a very good discount on Amazon right now.

very good discount? amazon shows these bad boys same price they have always been ... unless i am missing something.

but yes, these cases are probably the best out there

I like the design of the RV02-E, and cooling performance is apparently phenomenal (not sure about Lian Li cooling). Much cheaper too, very tempted. Not to mention that the PC-X2000F won't fit under my desk... My only concern with the RV02 is all the cables going out the top, not sure how easy it is to bend some of those fat DVI cables.

I personally picked up a white NZXT Phantom from newegg. Really Really good looking case, especially in white. Has good airflow as well.

Coolermaster HAF series is good. Antec Lanboy is good as well, but people have been complaining some parts of it are cheap. If you are looking Mid-Tower range again HAF series, Storm Scout looks nice, and the classic Antec Nine Hundred.

But I would say a case is something worth spending a little extra on, because a good case will last you a life time.

Any case with vents on the side panels is going to let a lot of noise out. Even if your fans are turned way down you will still get lots of hard drive noise coming out the side. My CM690 has vents on the side panel that faces me and the hard drive noise annoys me when Im reading or writing. When I cover them, the sound goes down by half.

Im getting a Lian Li case for their sound reduction features. My friend has one and its difficult to hear any noise coming from it.

Darn it, cannot seem to decide. PC-X2000F, Raven RV02-E or FT02? Tough choice... My current Lian Li case lasted me 10 years so I know they're quality products but I don't think Silverstone's a slouch. From a noise and cooling performance, are the RV02/FT02 unbeatable? Cannot seem to find a comparison to PC-X2000F and the Silverstone cases, I know somewhat different price segments etc... still would be good to know.

I recently picked up a CoolerMaster Storm Sniper Black and I love it. CPU temps dropped 5c under load compared to my Antec P180B. It has tons of room for my crossfire'd HD5850's and offers great cable management. The fan controller and ability to turn off the fan LED's is a nice feature as well. 200mm fans are pretty quiet, however if you have other components that are noisy, it does not block the sound like my P180 did with it's built in sound deadening material. Worth a look anyway if you'd consider a mid/large case.

Darn it, cannot seem to decide. PC-X2000F, Raven RV02-E or FT02? Tough choice... My current Lian Li case lasted me 10 years so I know they're quality products but I don't think Silverstone's a slouch. From a noise and cooling performance, are the RV02/FT02 unbeatable? Cannot seem to find a comparison to PC-X2000F and the Silverstone cases, I know somewhat different price segments etc... still would be good to know.

I only buy SIlverstone and Lian Li cases, so I may could steer you in the right direction.

I've had the RV02, FT02, the PC-X1000 which is similar to the X2000F.
Out of the three, I liked the FT02 the most. If you can find one with the upgraded fans(AP-181), that should be your new case.
Sturdy and awesome cooling. The type of case that will last years. The two FT02s I had the same guy locally bought both of them from me because he loved them so much.
I get bored with cases pretty quick so don't ask why I sold them.

I recently bought a Cooler Master HAF-932 (kkn1). It's BIG but I love it. Some reviews I read, people said they didn't like the bright HDD LED (and it IS bright), and that the snap clips that hold the PCI/PCI-E cards in were flimsy for heavy cards. They are, I just put a normal case screw in. For the price I payed ($140.00) I'm VERY happy with it. I have two buds that have the same case and love it.

Linky.. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119160&cm_re=haf_932-_-11-119-160-_-Product

-SR

I picked the White Phantom Case, whe I build mine it was between the Phantom and the Raven. I picked the phantom because I could put my ECo 240 at the top.

I have a haf-x and its pretty nice, definitely big! I'd recommend the corsair 800d! ffriggen huge

Back