What card do you guys recommend for this setup...

trainwreck951

Weaksauce
AMD Athlon 64 4000+ on a MSI K8N Neo4 Platinum/SLI Motherboard

Looking for a card around $100. Preferably less. (In the USED market) Card will mainly be used for Battlefield 2, CS 1.6, and Starcraft.

NOTE: The 600w PSU that came with my case doesn't have a PCI-E power plug. Are there any adapters for a PCI-E plug I can use on my existing PSU? I have no intention to swap the PSU.

UPDATE: Budget of card raised to $130

$100 is a bit low budget for a card, but those cards dont really require extra power directly from the psu, also the ones that do usually come with an extra cord which can be connected to a simple 4pin molex one

Okay, thanks.

Yeah, I understand 100 is a bit low, but consider that I'll be shopping for something used.
This system will mainly be dedicated to BF2.
What card do you recommend?

Honestly i hate buying used products, I'll recommend a 7600GT which with the rebates on newegg right now will get you below the $100 mark

I have no problem buying used - I'll make sure the card hasn't been overclocked and burned out.

Honestly i hate buying used products, I'll recommend a 7600GT which with the rebates on newegg right now will get you below the $100 mark

I'll second this recommendation.

Buying used is..well... risky at best.

The 7600GT would be a perfect choice for your application.

Yea I agree the 7600GT is a good card and the best in that price range and considering that you have a SLI MB you could always add another one.

Do I need a special plug from the PSU for the PCI-E 7600GT? Or will it power up fine from the PCI-E slot?

For that price range, there will be nothing of better value than the 7600GT

If you don't mind 'rolling the dice' there are always the recertified 7800GTs from Newegg for around $130 last I checked. Can't speak from experience about their quality however.

How much better are the 7800GTs than the 7600GTs? Is it anything really that noticeable in Battlefield 2?

The 7800GT's are quite a bit better than the 7600GT's. I don't think I'd buy a recertified one though, unless you don't mind taking chances and or it came with a good warranty.

Back