What can we expect for the next Google Nexus phone ?

It's an IPS screen, and it will most likely be slightly better than the One X's SLCD.

It's an IPS screen, and it will most likely be slightly better than the One X's SLCD.

Im unsure if this will be my phone in the near future as I already wrote off the s3 but if thats true then thats pretty badass.

Fyi I'm still having a hard time finding a display that destroys my atrix display (except for ultra highend phones)

Wow, if it's even just as good as the One X's screen I am all over this Nexus-Four, but if it's even better screen technology, I will be first day buyer. I think the One X screen tech is far and above better than Samsung's AMOLED.

Samsung used to have the best screen tech couple years ago, the first Galaxy S1 was amazing for the time, very vibrant colors, and deep blacks, and then Super AMOLED+ on the Galaxy S2 was also amazing, and even better. But now it seems Samsung is stuck in a rut, same ol screen technology for awhile now, nothing majorly improved yet.

Screen tech is the biggest overhyped feature on phones. There was endless debate over SLCD vs AMOLED vs AMOLED+, and it's all irrelevant. Most people won't notice any difference on their phones on any decent display. I got a GS3 and if I put it right next to a One X then sure I can see a difference, but it really doesn't matter as both are great screens.

Screen tech is the biggest overhyped feature on phones. There was endless debate over SLCD vs AMOLED vs AMOLED+, and it's all irrelevant. Most people won't notice any difference on their phones on any decent display. I got a GS3 and if I put it right next to a One X then sure I can see a difference, but it really doesn't matter as both are great screens.
Let me simplify that argument:

"I got 1)_______ and if I put (him/her/it) right next to 2)______ then sure I can see a difference, but it really doesn't matter as both are great 3)______."

1) Insert name of device/product
2) Insert name of similar device/product to 1.
3. Insert a feature or quality both 1 and 2 share.

Let me start with a couple of examples:
1) Charmin
2) Angel Soft
3) to wipe with

1) Obama
2) Romney
3) Liars

Flaws of overly simplified statements. Go.

For me, screen tech is a big factor in my purchase. Back when Samsung first came out with Super AMOLED, it was the best, and only phones I would buy. Now the One X to me has the best screen, so I want my next phone to be like that.

You look at the screen all the time on your smartphone, I want the best available, with good sunlight technology, pure whites and clear image for reading news sites, and also vibrant colors

When it comes to design, the LG Nexus misses the mark
http://androidandme.com/2012/10/opinions/when-it-comes-to-design-the-lg-nexus-misses-the-mark/

I agree here. I thought the Galaxy Nexus was a big upgrade compared to the previous Nexus-S, put them side by side, and the Galaxy Nexus is a major upgrade, not just hardware, I mean the style, and design. But a year later, now the Galaxy Nexus looks dated, and cheap next to phones like the One X and iPhone5.

Surprised Google is going with almost the exact same design one year later. I think if HTC or Sony made the Nexus-Four, would look much better.

Google knows the Nexus doesn't sell. It gets a ton of coverage on blogs, and the best dev support, but it has no impact on sales. They are probably not willing to spend a lot of time on the phone - the whole point of the Nexus program is a reference phone which developers can use for the next Android version. They just went with what's familiar, and the the chosen oem do the rest.

When it comes to design, the LG Nexus misses the mark
http://androidandme.com/2012/10/opinions/when-it-comes-to-design-the-lg-nexus-misses-the-mark/

I agree here. I thought the Galaxy Nexus was a big upgrade compared to the previous Nexus-S, put them side by side, and the Galaxy Nexus is a major upgrade, not just hardware, I mean the style, and design. But a year later, now the Galaxy Nexus looks dated, and cheap next to phones like the One X and iPhone5.

Surprised Google is going with almost the exact same design one year later. I think if HTC or Sony made the Nexus-Four, would look much better.
Meh. I don't mind the design of the GNex or this new phone. This article was meant to generate links more than anything.

Until Google can rein in OEM's and get them to update their phones in an actual timely manner, I will be on Nexus devices for the foreseeable future. All of the specs of this upcoming phone are top of the line, except for the storage - that's all I need.

Even if this phone does come to Verizon, I would have no problem with using my Gnex for another year until the next Nexus.

I love the Gnex. And I think the same design, with better internal hardware, is the best of both worlds. People thinking that every new Nexus should be new and different doesn't make sense. Iphone anyone?

Keep the Gnex form factor, with minor updates to aesthetics and hardware every year, and it's the exact same thing that Apple does. And it works VERY well for them.

http://www.androidcentral.com/brand-loyalty-and-blind-hate

Good read for all you haters.

But I have to admit, that the design is ghastly.

I like AC and Jerry's articles. He makes a very good point. At the end of day, it really doesn't matter who is making the new Nexus; LG, or Samsung, or HTC, they are all the same now a days, with good Quad Core processors, the same 2gb memory, nice screen tech. It is the OS and software that make the big difference, and the LG Nexus-Four will be running stock Android of course.

if you wanna be a hipster with the latest fashion item, get an iPhone5.

My only concern with the next Nexus phone, or phones, (and this is an "out-there" concern) is about OS updates. So far, Nexus updates have been pushed rapidly by Google (except the CDMA versions). These Nexus phones said "Google" on the back, not "with Google." My concern is that some of these rumored Nexus phones will have the stock OS adapted by the OEM due to hardware variances. If this is the case, we could still very well end up seeing crap like slow updates, or even an early abandonment on the update front.

Again, this concern of mine will likely end up being unfounded, and I hope that to be the case.

Isn't LG known for producing great screen technology ? I thought most of the computer monitors and some HDTV's are really "LG" panels, and that Apple and Dell put their brand name over it ? Same with smartphone screens ? I thought LG produces some of the better ones, but they don't really get the credit for it, because others put their name on it ?

Isn't LG known for producing great screen technology ? I thought most of the computer monitors and some HDTV's are really "LG" panels, and that Apple and Dell put their brand name over it ? Same with smartphone screens ? I thought LG produces some of the better ones, but they don't really get the credit for it, because others put their name on it ?

That is true. But obviously they've created a somewhat bad name for themselves with some of the crappy screens they've put out. So now most people just use the broad brush and call LG crap.

That is true. But obviously they've created a somewhat bad name for themselves with some of the crappy screens they've put out. So now most people just use the broad brush and call LG crap.

LG makes the panels, and then ships the highest quality ones to the highest bidders (usually Apple/Dell). The iPhone has generally used LG as the primary screen supplier. However, when LG puts out a product, the screen usually isn't that good. Their HDTVs don't get the recognition of other brands, and their monitors get overshadowed by the companies that use their panels.

LG makes a great panel, but they do a horrible job of presenting it.

Article is playing devils advocate and doing a bad job at it. It is perfectly fine for people to mistrust a company based on a product that they have generally had a talib wreck of a history with.
Yes, but you're not consistent in the hate. Why support Samsung after the Galaxy S fiasco? LG has done exactly what Samsung did and is bringing out top notch hardware and quality build with the Optimus G. I don't see you going out there buying the phone. Seriously, the Samsung hype machine works almost as good as Apple's. Name another brand you would trust to bring the same kind of Samsung fanboy enthusiasm other than Samsung or Google (Motorola) itself.

I hate all irrational fanboys.

BTW, I just noticed my Amazon Appstore was way out of date. Was using version 2.6, un installed and resubmitted for a link, now it's 4.0.

BTW, I just noticed my Amazon Appstore was way out of date. Was using version 2.6, un installed and resubmitted for a link, now it's 4.0.

Hmm, interesting.. I'm on 2.6.53 right now and when I click on "check for update", it says "No update found." No surprising that this app has broken features, I guess. I'll try downloading the new APK then.

Disappointing. Ugly Phone.

http://androidandme.com/2012/10/sma...belarusian-tech-blog/attachment/lg-nexus-4-1/

NOOOOOO! ****ING Chromed Bezel!!!

Whats up with the love for fake chrome or super shiny surfaces among tech designers? :mad::mad::mad:

I hate it phones, cars, mice, TVs, printers, headphones, furniture, etc :mad:

They should have just used the same matted black plastic on the back frame. It would be even better if it was one unified piece.

I feel like the only major phone makers with tasteful designs currently are Apple, HTC, and Nokia.

Hmm, interesting.. I'm on 2.6.53 right now and when I click on "check for update", it says "No update found." No surprising that this app has broken features, I guess. I'll try downloading the new APK then.
Direct link: https://www.amazon.com/app-sms

I was surprised at it too.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.

The Thrill and the Nitro had GREAT screens. IPS, gorgeous. The build quality is what makes people despise LG.

As for people saying that nobody gets on Samsung anymore after the Galaxy S... "I personally vowed "never again" after owning an Epic, but I tried out the Infuse and later the GS2 (AT&T's version) and loved it. Since then they've consistently put out decent phones.

http://androidandme.com/2012/10/sma...belarusian-tech-blog/attachment/lg-nexus-4-1/

Whats up with the love for fake chrome or super shiny surfaces among tech designers? :mad::mad::mad:

They should have just used the same matted black plastic on the back frame. It would be even better if it was one unified piece.

I feel like the only major phone makers with tasteful designs currently are Apple, HTC, and Nokia.

Who cares? Don't most people use cases these days anyway? I know I do, so I don't give a shit what the phone looks like. I want good internals, a good screen, and an open ecosystem. So an upgraded Gnex pretty much, and that's what we are getting.

The Thrill and the Nitro had GREAT screens. IPS, gorgeous. The build quality is what makes people despise LG.

As for people saying that nobody gets on Samsung anymore after the Galaxy S... "I personally vowed "never again" after owning an Epic, but I tried out the Infuse and later the GS2 (AT&T's version) and loved it. Since then they've consistently put out decent phones.

Good point, so LG can turn around too ? Maybe before they were known as shit quality, but now will be the new Samsung, making better quality and high end devices ?

I think the early Samsung Android phones were pretty crappy, only started to make really nice hardware in the past year or so. So maybe LG can do the same now ? Give them a chance at least. Isn't a company allowed a turn around ?

Direct link: https://www.amazon.com/app-sms

I was surprised at it too.

Thanks for that. I just got it and it seems considerably better with the new UI and not nearly as laggy (though still not really smooth). I noticed in the change log that this update fixes battery drain issues too, which I have been seeing recently. Sometimes I'll check battery usage and the Amazon App store is 2nd (next to display of course) with like 30% usage and using 20-30 mins of CPU usage.

Who cares? Don't most people use cases these days anyway? I know I do, so I don't give a shit what the phone looks like. I want good internals, a good screen, and an open ecosystem. So an upgraded Gnex pretty much, and that's what we are getting.

Indeed. Pretty much every phone I get, I'm going to throw a TPU case on at least, probably stay with the Cruzerlite cases. I love the one on my Gnex.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Indeed. Pretty much every phone I get, I'm going to throw a TPU case on at least, probably stay with the Cruzerlite cases. I love the one on my Gnex.

I normally use Otterbox. Is the Cruzerlite case comparable?

I have to agree, I am no iPhone fan whatsoever, but the design of the new iPhone5 is pretty cool, especially the matte black. Same with the HTC One X, very good looking device in white, it shows that HTC took their time in the design stage, to make something beautiful to look at, and hold. And Nokia has always been known for their artistic designs.

Samsung not so much, LG nope. And now Google doesn't seem to care too much about design, if they are pushing that Galaxy Nexus design for a second year in a row, it's not ugly, but not breathtaking either, it's just ok.

Dont people just throw their brand new shiny phones into gigantic thick cases anyways?

Dont people just throw their brand new shiny phones into gigantic thick cases anyways?

I rarely do. I like to keep it naked and thin as possible. If anything I will use a Feather super thin case, but I rarely keep them on. I don't like Apple, but if I owned the iPhone 5 would for sure use it naked, it is a very good looking device.

Yes, but you're not consistent in the hate. Why support Samsung after the Galaxy S fiasco? LG has done exactly what Samsung did and is bringing out top notch hardware and quality build with the Optimus G. I don't see you going out there buying the phone. Seriously, the Samsung hype machine works almost as good as Apple's. Name another brand you would trust to bring the same kind of Samsung fanboy enthusiasm other than Samsung or Google (Motorola) itself.

I hate all irrational fanboys.

Good points, I'm entertained every day that the only brand iPhone users seem to be considering switching to is Samsung now that they have stepped up the marketing/hype ten fold.

I actually like the disco back, it's more muted in public and it's definitely cooler than just a boring black surface. I'll be going naked when I buy it unlocked ;)

I don't but it cracks me up when people do. I love it when fanbois go on and on and on about how their phone is thinner then put it in a case that makes it twice the size of mine.

Disappointing. Ugly Phone.

Eh, looks better once all the "don't sell" stuff is removed:
Untitled-2-7.jpg

Back