What can I use to do this?

Discussion in 'SSDs & Data Storage' started by marley1, Feb 5, 2014.

1. marley1

marley1 [H]ardness Supreme

I have about 30 or so hard drives that have been pulled out of brand new Dell Optiplex machines. This was due to installing aftermarket solid state drives. So I have a bunch of 500gb and 1TB drives.

I have a Dell T310 server that I will be using with ESX or Hyper-V.

I would like to utilize these drives in some external attached storage device for development/testing VMs.

I am not looking to spend a boat load but I would like to utilize some of these drives. I do not need a ton of space. More need something that will be reliable and fast enough to spin up some VM when I need to.

What is the best solution for this?

2. drescherjm

drescherjm [H]ardForum Junkie

Sell the 30 disks and get fewer larger disks. Get enough so that you can have backups.

3. bonehead123

bonehead123 [H]ard|Gawd

If this were my situation, I would sell the small drives & buy several large, enterprise-class drives and put them inside a multi-disk NAS box....

4. marley1

marley1 [H]ardness Supreme

Which NAS would you recommend? I normally would go for Synology but if I had something to save a few bucks I'd like to

5. Lost-Benji

Lost-Benji Limp Gawd

Simple box with Win8 or S2012 and storage spaces. Here comes a pool.

Otherwise, sit on a few drives for spares.

I personally would have left the drives in the systems for the end-client and use tham as a local backup target. Value adding for the client.

6. Jalseng

Jalseng Limp Gawd

That. depending on what kinds of VMs your doing not sure if you NEED enterprise level or not..