What can I do with Microsoft Not For Resale software?

teststrips

Limp Gawd
I was thinking about starting my own business a few years back + went to a few microsoft trade shows. At one of them I won a copy of Windows Server 2003 Small Business Editon and after reading a thread here on [H] I sent in for an extra 5 license CAL - which also bears the not for resale markings. I used it for a little while as a server in my house, especially while studying for MCSE certification. After I moved and got a new job, I've not used the software for over two years and I don't really need it.

Can I legally transfer this software to someone else in any way? I'd love to get some $$$ for it, but I'm not allowed to ebay or trade here in the forums (plus the ovious "not for resale". I'd also consider donating it to the local school or something, but I'm not sure thats legal either.

Any thoughts on what I should/can do with this software?

I don't know if you can give it away, but you definitely NOT sell it. That's the whole point behind NFR's.

Legally? It's yours, and you're the only one allowed to use it.

There's always Craigslist, however.

You can give it away as long as it's never been used, activated, or registered to you as the original owner, but you can't sell it for a profit in any way. You can't trade it either since that's considered a 'sale' of sorts, bartering.

Craigslist is pretty weak here in my area - very few people on it.

Its a shame to see this software on my shelf - I wish microsoft had some sort of trade program where I could get a copy of MCE or Vista or WHS (windows home server) for this... I'd at least use one of those OSes.

Legally? It's yours, and you're the only one allowed to use it.

Legally he doesn't own anything but the disc (not even the contents of the disk), he just has a perpetual license to use the contents of the disc. So I guess you could sell the disc and not the key but then again the disc has content you do not own.

I would try donating to a local school. You never know, they might give you a little something in return. :)

Back