• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

What can I do to my case?

Grammar Nazi

Limp Gawd
Joined
Mar 9, 2003
Messages
282
This is my case: http://www.gmc.co.kr/english/good_e_x21.htm
I got it for $20 from newegg, its the best case I've owned. For this reason, I am afraid to disfigure it. I don't want to do the typical huge window on the side, but I might be willing to do something more tasteful. However, I am not particularly talented with a dremel. What kind of exterior mods could I go... I am completely out of ideas. Thanks for the help.
 
You could use a hole saw to drill fan holes, then add some red LED 80mm fans. Make sure you get cool fan grills.
 
sounds like a good idea. Which would be more effective- putting a blowhole on the top, putting a hole on the side for a 120mm fan (or maybe a couple smaller ones), or both?

Hopefully I can find a holesaw that will cut through this much metal, this case has some damn thick side panels.

edit: heh, I just noticed after temporarily removing the fan from my silent boost that it is in fact a panaflo fan, it still has the sticker :).
 
just drill a 120mm hole on the top so u can exhaust all that hot air out
and drill a 80 or 92mm hole rite where the CPU is, not Vid Card, and mount either a 80 or 92mm fan there, depending on preference
that should be enuf for u

nice looking case btw
 
Just curious, i saw the case has the thermal sensor, where exactly do you place the thing that tells the temp?? Do you just put it under the heatsink, next to the processor, or do you put it on the processor before you put on the heatsink??
 
it has a little probe wire that comes out (the LCD behind the mirror is really neato) and you can put it anywhere. Right now mine is just floating around in the case, but theoretically you could slide it under a heatsink or something else like that.

I'm thinking that if I can find enough room on the top, I will try to put a clear 120mm fan on the top, and a couple of 80mm fans on the side, also clear. I will then get some lighting to go around or near the fans, possibly a lightstrip, to add some color. Thanks for the help.

edit: if I decided to put a 92mm fan hole above the processor, would it be a good idea to get one of those tubing kits so that I could have all the air from it directed into the processor, and possibly remove the fan from the processor altogether?
 
Originally posted by Grammar Nazi
]edit: if I decided to put a 92mm fan hole above the processor, would it be a good idea to get one of those tubing kits so that I could have all the air from it directed into the processor, and possibly remove the fan from the processor altogether?
oo i dont know about that
the pressure from the side is not as strong as the pressure from the fan right on the heatsink....so i would say no
 
Originally posted by ST|FFY
oo i dont know about that
the pressure from the side is not as strong as the pressure from the fan right on the heatsink....so i would say no
well if I had a solid tube connecting it, the only difference would be that there was a 92mm fan instead of an 80mm, and it would be fresh cold air instead of recirculated case air inside of it. I can't see why there would be a difference in pressure.
Originally posted by Nappo
...exactly what i was thinking ;)
care to explain?
 
Originally posted by compslckr
kick ass case for $20. i wish i got one. how does that hdd selector thing work?
doesnt have it. thats partly why it was only $20, but for all I care its an awesome case without it. It also doesnt come with the silicon PSU silencer or the fan silencers, but that is expected.
 
I am bumping this thread in a random resurgence of ideas.

Right now I am going to try getting a 120mm chrome fan to go on the side panel, and I will have 2 80mm cooler master red fans as exhast in the back. This should create at least a bit of light to make it interesting. Since the intake fans in the front do next to nothing, I am thinking that one undervolted 120mm fan should put in about as much air as two undervolted 80mm fans and a heat-controlled 80mm fan on the power supply. Any more thoughts?


Also, hole saws are overly expensive. Its more than a decent dremel tool for a single kit. sheesh
 
Back
Top