what can be done about youtube throttling?

misterbobby

2[H]4U
AT&T really pisses my off as several days of the month youtube and a couple other video sites are hardly usable. 1080 is a complete no go and 720 still buffers quite a bit. Some of the time it will just drop to 480 if on auto. It has nothing to do with actual speeds as its always at 28-29 Mbps.

Calling and bitching does no good as all they can do is send someone out which is a waste of time. Even the technicians admit that AT&T does throttle but nothing can be done. I just do not understand how they get away with it and there is nothing I can do about it.

I would kill for a 28-29mbps connection. Some of you guys should come down to Australia and try out our super fast craptacular ADSL at average rates of 11mbp download /2mbp upload.

I would kill for a 28-29mbps connection. Some of you guys should come down to Australia and try out our super fast craptacular ADSL at average rates of 11mbp download /2mbp upload.
Not sure what your comment has to do with anything. I could have 10x the speed I have now and it would make no difference on youtube if AT&T is limiting me there.

I know lol.

Have you asking them why they are throttling you? Tried on different browser/pc with same results?

Never heard of the ISP throttling down speeds unless you go over you're download bandwidth or such.

Switch providers? Use a proxy service?

What about manually setting your DNS settings to use Google's DNS servers instead of AT&T's? 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4

Not much else you can do.

I know lol.

Have you asking them why they are throttling you? Tried on different browser/pc with same results?

Never heard of the ISP throttling down speeds unless you go over you're download bandwidth or such.

They throttle streaming video because streaming video uses a steady stream of bandwidth unlike web browsing that only uses it in spurts. It gets around having to add more bandwidth available to the customer.

Switch providers? Use a proxy service?

What about manually setting your DNS settings to use Google's DNS servers instead of AT&T's? 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4

Not much else you can do.
We have no one else to choose from here. And I am pretty ignorant when it comes to things like changing DNS settings. I tried googling this topic I started but it is a mess looking through so much crap and many of the fixes are outdated and/or dont work now.

They throttle streaming video because streaming video uses a steady stream of bandwidth unlike web browsing that only uses it in spurts. It gets around having to add more bandwidth available to the customer.

Of course the bigger issue is the peering games that US ISPs have been playing for years, which results in apparent "throttling", but is really just a cash grab attempt by these ISPs. I know that with the new FCC Net Neutrality regulations this is suppose to be cleared up, but it won't surprise me if it continues.

Yes, AT&T isn't really throttling, so much as they're letting peering points get saturated beyond reasonable limits. This is nothing new, Time Warner was doing it too. I had blocked some IP ranges at my router and it helped a lot.

You'd have to do some research to figure out what IP blocks you need to block out to hope that you could route around the congestion that you're seeing now.

http://www.measurementlab.net/static/observatory/M-Lab_Interconnection_Study_US.pdf

You can google Uverse Youtube fix and find some stuff.

VPN is cheap and easy. I setup a vps with openvpn-as for $10/year. Solved my ISP routing issues.

As serveral have said. Get some sort of vpn or proxy for your youtube traffic - or all your internet traffic :)

A lot of ISP's simply cant keep up with the demand for youtube/netflix traffic (or dont want to pay the $$'s for their cache boxes). Which seems to be whats going on with AT&T aswell.. Its a matter of Money and whos getting the most profit -- sadly.

Try using Magic Actions browser extension. Set it to by default use HTML5.

Also, VPN.
Well I went with that PIA and it seems pretty good. Its funny to go back and forth and see it buffering on 720 yet play smooth at 1440 with plenty of headroom while using PIA. Only small downside is there is no server that's super close to me. Florida is the closest but it has very random speeds. The East Coast server seems the best even though its much further away. I do lose about 1.5 to 2 Mbps of speed compared to not using the VPN and my ping is a tiny bit higher at around 50 ms higher but that is not really an issue.

Thanks for all the replies.

$proxychains youtube-dl url

or

start tor then

$torify proxychains youtube-dl url

Back