Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Safari

Votes: 16 14.3%
  • Other (tell us)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

ryken

2[H]4U
After some offtopic debate in the iTunes 10 thread, I was wondering what everyone here uses in OSX. Personally, I use Firefox. Chrome always slows itself down and Safari never seemed quite as fast as FF.

Safari. Faster than even Chrome on OS X, extensions integrate even more seamlessly than Firefox, and I love Top Sites.

Chrome. I don't have any issues with it 'slowing itself down'. My iMac's uptime is measured in the weeks, so I certainly blast through a fair number of tabs before the process ever gets terminated.

The only Mac OS X machine I use is a Mac Pro G5 at work. I can't use Chrome (my choice everywhere else), so it's Firefox.

Chrome.

I fire up Firefox every once in a while just for some different scenery but I always come back to Chrome.

Tried IE8 a while back for a few weeks and got my machine all crapped up. Had to restore to a point before using IE8 and that fixed it. Doubt Ill ever fire that crappy browser up again.

Chrome beta channel. I might not like the unnative look of the toolbar buttons and omnibar input or the way it downloads and notifies you of updates but otherwise it seems to best the other choices. The per domain process model frees up resources much faster after closing tabs than Camino, Firefox or Safari which all seem to end up with memory usage spiraling out of control with as many tabs and windows I go through over such long periods of uptime. I also found the gecko based browsers to have exceedingly high CPU usage when idle with many tabs/windows open. I miss find as you type navigation very badly and I find the extension for both Chrome and Safari to be very lacking compared to Firefox and Camino's implementation. Too bad Camino nightlies dropped the feature after the latest gecko branch broke their implementation. I used to use Camino for years but I grew tired of how behind it was even with the nightly builds, the performance of the new address bar was terrible and no extensions. I'd like to use Safari but it needs something like the omnibar and the automatic search keywords from Chrome to win me over. Tabs on top like the old Safari 4 beta would help.

FF never seems to open as fast as Safari, I have yet to try Chrome, although I do enjoy it on my PC. I may have to check it out.

I'm new to Mac and OSX, but thus far I haven't felt the need to install anything over and above Safari.

Chrome on both OS X and Windows for me. Love it. Fastest browser for me, best design/GUI. Hands down the only browser I download and install on my machines now.

Switched to Chrome a month ago and love it. have loaded it on all my machines and no turning back.

as i say, haven't felt the need to shift away from safari tbh. everything on this macbook pro is blazingly fast so haven't felt the need to tinker - which is pretty much the main reason for switching tbh.

I don't see how Chrome bests Safari in either of those categories, but hey.

it is alright if we agree to disagree. im sure my conditions and your conditions arent 100% the same and therefore we see different results. etc.

firefox + noscript = tiny attack surface.

When browsing the googles, clicking on pages I've never been, its nice to see that scripts from "www.imaEatYoComputar.com" are not being run on my computer.

And I do not understand this whole fast vs slow browser thing. A) the speed is entirely in the latency + connection bandwidth, and B) we're still talking about < 500ms. Infact for "as slow" as IE is, I really miss a browser which instantiated separate processes for each tab. It was "slow", but when one tab went it didn't bring down the rest of the browser.

Sorry google I'm quite happy with slow old and crutchity Firefox, but I'm glad you've successfully penetrated the 20-30 year old starbucks crowd.

each chrome tab being its own process is a nice feature imo. as mrwizard6600 said, if one tab craps out, it doesnt make the entire browser close, it just closes that one tab.

Been using Safari for a long time. Still love it to death. If I don't use it, I'll switch to Firefox.

I'm not at all crazy about Chrome (at least on OS X). Camino is kind of a joke at this point, isn't it?

Opera for me uses less resources and is less problematic than Firefox. Safari and IE for me on OSX have just been terrible. Check out Opera for the mac seriously its pretty well rounded.

Opera for me uses less resources and is less problematic than Firefox. Safari and IE for me on OSX have just been terrible. Check out Opera for the mac seriously its pretty well rounded.

I think Opera on the Mac is actually a bit underwhelming (at least compared to the Windows version). And IE hasn't been on the Mac since like version 6, so I'm not sure what you're talking about there.

I think Opera on the Mac is actually a bit underwhelming (at least compared to the Windows version). And IE hasn't been on the Mac since like version 6, so I'm not sure what you're talking about there.

Well I guess software just ceases to exist... Nobody has ever used old software and holy crap there's even a section in the poll for "Other (tell us)". But hey adding to the conversation is clearly beneath you.. Since you're not sure what I'm talking about here :rolleyes:.

Safari. I don't use the internet on my netbook extensively enough to warrant maintaining another browser.

Opera user here too. Have been since the 5.x days on Windows. If only they'd allow 1password to work with the browser I'd be in heaven!

I use both, chrome and firefox. Chrome is a faster browser, and Firefox is safer and have apps.
Love them both.

I go back and forth between Firefox and Chrome, but I mainly use Firefox.

Back