What brand/model are these KVM type things?

imzjustplayin

[H]ard|Gawd
2347-1035_11-6137-6147.html

Does anyone know about converting VGA+PS/2 ports to go over ethernet? Do these all talk to one specific server and you communicate with that or do they host on their own? Where do I get these, how much do they cost and what are my options? Is the video feed over these slow? Are there any solutions that would allow you to view picture from that computer in real time or does this thing do that already?

You can do KVM over IP, but it is very expensive. For a 4 port option, you are looking at close to $300. Dell has a 16 port one for about $1,300.

Those are KVM over IP dongles. We use HP's KVM IP switches at our data center, pretty cool stuff. Newer switches even have virtual media support. You are looking at enterprise level hardware for data center, somit will be expensive.

Like what cherniy said, they are IP-KVM units.

depending on how far you want to dive into IPKVM is the cost. The way that picture is setup, it is more expansive than purchasing a IPKVM switch. Each of those units will run around 400 a pop, plus you'll need to run an ethernet cable to a switch for each device...switch ports are expensive too.

If you get a KVM (we use HP), the adapters are 125. The switches have 16 ports, but HP has expansion modules that turns one port into eight. Each switch is about $3900 and only uses one network connection. This all comes to about 175 per connection to the KVM.

The single unit guys are good for locations where there is only one or two devices off by themselves.

Another big company in the IP-KVM market is Avocent. They actually make HPs and Dell's KVM and have a really slick product (DSView3) that lets you manage everything under the sun!

I agree, Avocent has some sweet management solutions. Just got 17in LCD tray for the office to replace TFT5600.

Any good LCD/Keyboard/Mouse trays you come across? Tried Belkin hated it.

We use the Raritan Dominion KX2-464 KVMs in our DC. They are cheaper then Avocent.

They work pretty good.

we too use raritans but they would not be my first pic if i was looking for a new solution.

basically there is an appliance that looks like a network switch. you run network cables out to the machines and there is a dongle you plug in to, then this dongle has a keyboard, mouse, and video plug on it. some of the multimedia solutions also have multiple video and audio in and outs.

for home use, i would suggest you look at something like tightvnc or realvnc which is more of a single machine solution.

I agree, Avocent has some sweet management solutions. Just got 17in LCD tray for the office to replace TFT5600.

Any good LCD/Keyboard/Mouse trays you come across? Tried Belkin hated it.
We have TFT5600, Avocent's 15", and Dell's 15" LCD panels.

The TFTs are okay; about the only notable feature is that they are designed to be used with the HP KVM switch so that you get the LCD and switch in a 1u space.

The Avocent LCDs are nice.

The Dells work well too. However, like all Dell equipment, I loathe the rails. The LCD panels just sit in the rails with no locking mechanism. If you have the panel extended out and knock it from the bottom, it will come out of the rails.

I almost tried the Rosewill LCD, but I have two extra TFTs and a handfull of the Dell's...so I don't need to purchase any more for a while.

Can you hook up one of these to a regular KVM? so for example hook that 4 port IP/KVM to 4, 8 port regular KVM's ?

you are talking about cascading KVMs. I do not know about dell, but HPs IPKVMs are able to do that.

you are talking about cascading KVMs. I do not know about dell, but HPs IPKVMs are able to do that.

Yes but off of one of these cheap 4 porters. I would suspect it would depend of it supporting passing of control key presses.

Back