• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

What brand HD does I/O Magic use?

SpangeMonkee

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Dec 18, 2001
Messages
1,435
I can't seem to find the specs anywhere for the harddrive within the Gigabank 250 external HD. I don't quite wanna open the box yet and was wondering if anyone knew the brand of hd that i/o magic uses.
 
wow haha. I've posted in another thread asking this too and still haven't found out. Also, I'd like to know what chipset it uses for the ide-usb. I'm sure you could tell this part if you have one :)

Maybe some tool out there will find out for you? I'm guessing maybe they worked out a deal with the hdd manufacturer to change the tags though, so who knows
 
well, it could be real easy if I just opened it up. but I still wanna be able to return it.
 
The drive inside the enclosure is *drumroll please*



Whatever is cheapest, generally Western Digital.
 
davidlem said:
The drive inside the enclosure is *drumroll please*



Whatever is cheapest, generally Western Digital.
wd would be cool. as long as its not maxtor (hell maxtor would be fine if its the new seagates)
 
Could very well be a cheap Maxtor too. I'd say for the off-brand enclosures I see about 50% WD, 25% Maxtor, 25% IBM/Hitachi. Very rare to see a Seagate or Samsung.
 
i think we had some of those at work and they had hitachi's in them... they were quite acceptable for what they are
 
Here's my $0.02... I'd rather have a Hitachi 3.5" in an external enclosure than anything else. Why, you ask? Because SO many drives fall of desks and get generally banged up. What makes Hitachi different? Off-media parking block. When not in use or powered-off, the read/write head assembly is stored on a plastic parking block off the platters. Most accidents happen when the drive is not in use, and the parking block dramatically reduces the chances of the HDA whacking against the media surface and causing a catastrophic head crash. Other brands park the heads at the center of the media closest to the spindle. Yes, they all employ a magnetic brake or motion/travel stop to halt the assembly from impacting the spindle but you wouldn't believe the mangled heads I've seen on dropped drives.

Does this mean if you drop a Hitachi drive that you won't lose data? Absolutely not, but does an air bag in your car guarantee you'll survive a serious collision? I'll take my chances with the safety equipment and increase my odds.
 
davidlem said:
Here's my $0.02... I'd rather have a Hitachi 3.5" in an external enclosure than anything else. Why, you ask? Because SO many drives fall of desks and get generally banged up. What makes Hitachi different? Off-media parking block. When not in use or powered-off, the read/write head assembly is stored on a plastic parking block off the platters. Most accidents happen when the drive is not in use, and the parking block dramatically reduces the chances of the HDA whacking against the media surface and causing a catastrophic head crash. Other brands park the heads at the center of the media closest to the spindle. Yes, they all employ a magnetic brake or motion/travel stop to halt the assembly from impacting the spindle but you wouldn't believe the mangled heads I've seen on dropped drives.

Does this mean if you drop a Hitachi drive that you won't lose data? Absolutely not, but does an air bag in your car guarantee you'll survive a serious collision? I'll take my chances with the safety equipment and increase my odds.

I've been very happy with the 250gb SATA hitachis in my NAS. I'll figure it is that then and risk the opening. :)
 
Back
Top