What bios setitngs does an Asus A8V need for SATA?

Pooky

Gawd
My friend bought a beefy computer. It consists of:

AMD64 FX53
Asus A8V
4 512mb sticks of Corsair 2-2-2-5 PC3200
1 WD 74 GB Raptor
1 80GB SATA 80GB
1 NEC 8x DVDRW
BFG 6800GT OC
SB Audigy 2
1 Floppy
Enermax 470 Watt noisetaker PSU
Raidmax case

Now, he's been having issues getting his SATA Raptor to work. This is his first time building a computer, so he seems to think it's not a BIOS related issue, which I know it is. I told him he needs to setup the controller inhis bios, and perhaps use the F6 method to grab the SATA driver off a floppy, but he can't find or figure out which driver to use. Anyone know the proper bios settings?

What port is he plugging the Raptor in to? I would try the VIA port (not the red ones) and make sure the VIA SATA is enabled in the BIOS. Also, turn off the other RAID controller unless he is going to use it.

As R1ckCa1n mentions, try plugging the drives into the VIA SATA controller. As far as BIOS goes, just enable the onboard SATA and disable the Promise controller. Do have a VIA SATA driver disk handy (download the version off of ASUS's website as the driver disk created by the CD may have an issue when XP goes to pull them off during install. Did for me anyway. The version on the website worked fine.) and hit F6 where appropriate when installing XP.

Other than that, there shouldn't be any issues.

R1ckCa1n said:
What port is he plugging the Raptor in to? I would try the VIA port (not the red ones) and make sure the VIA SATA is enabled in the BIOS. Also, turn off the other RAID controller unless he is going to use it.

He's tried both of the black ones, ports 0 and 1 I think (perhaps 1 and 2?). He doesn't know how to navigate his bios and is now ready to throw a $2700 computer out the window and buy the $3600 Dell I got him to pass up. He still insists that the SATA boot rom has something to do with it, but mines off and my Raptor is just fine (I have a P4 based system). I did mention that he should probably look into an IDE hard drive instead, perhaps a pair of 80gb 8mb Caviars, but he seems to think that "downsizing" would hurt his performance.

Has he hit TAB during the VIA sata post to see if the VIA controller is seeing the drive?

What exactly is the problem?

I just slapped TAB, defined an array (in my case) and had the driver floppy at hand for F6 during the XP install.

ReelMcCoy said:
Has he hit TAB during the VIA sata post to see if the VIA controller is seeing the drive?

What exactly is the problem?

I just slapped TAB, defined an array (in my case) and had the driver floppy at hand for F6 during the XP install.

The problem is, he doesn't know how to build computers nad doesn't understand how he can fix it, and would rather write it off to "a broken computer" than to acknowledge he could possibly fix it. The drive is being seen, but he can't figure out wtf to do. I'd help, but I'm more than a few states away.

What exactly is the issue then? Did he create a driver floppy hopefully from Asus's web site rather than the CD? A VIA driver floppy and not the Promise one?

What state is he in? Wondering if there's someone local that might be able to help out.

ReelMcCoy said:
What exactly is the issue then? Did he create a driver floppy hopefully from Asus's web site rather than the CD? A VIA driver floppy and not the Promise one?

What state is he in? Wondering if there's someone local that might be able to help out.

He gave up and used an IDE drive after rsetting his bios to default. North Carolina, he knows no one who can help.

Back