What Benchmark Software for Gaming --CPU Heat Levels?

DWD1961

[H]ard|Gawd
What is the most realistic synthetic software should I use to see how hot my CPU is going to get while paying games?

I just want a good idea of how hot I can expect it with my current cooling profile.

Is 3D Mark still the standard? I'm trying to find the basic version now, but seems it is not available from the Publisher website. Going to Steam from the publisher FREE on steam link results in a Steam pay only link. I'm DL it now from Tom's Guide as I don;t have time to jump through Steam's hoops to try and find the free version that the link on the publisher page is suppose to link to. Total bullshit these days.

I'm strictly trying to find an optimal noise level for cooling when playing games. I'm playing an old MMO right now that uses the Unreal engine, but its DX9, so it doesn't even push my 2012 PowerColor 7950. I get no noise from CPU cooler as the CPU never gets above 65C or so.

After the fans on the AIO get past 50%, they start getting noisy. If I can keep them below 60% when playing a higher end game, then I won't really need to worry about noise anymore.

Last edited:
x264 loop is usually good. Most games won't pressure a 6-8+ core CPU much. As the previous poster said it's best to load up the GPU for the additional heat.

x264 loop is usually good. Most games won't pressure a 6-8+ core CPU much. As the previous poster said it's best to load up the GPU for the additional heat.
You mean generate heat the GPU so the inside of the case and, thus, the CPU also heats up? I'm strictly trying to find an optimal noise level for cooling when playing games. I'm playing an old MMO right now that uses the Unreal engine, but its DX9, so it doesn't even push my 2012 PowerColor 7950. I get no noise from CPU cooler as the CPU never gets above 65C or so.

After the fans on the AIO get past 50%, they start getting noisy. If I can keep them below 60% when playing a higher end game, then I won't really need to worry about noise anymore.

some confusion here. are you interested in CPU or GPU? 3DMark will not push a cpu to hard. prime or something along those lines will put a cpu under the gun.

some confusion here. are you interested in CPU or GPU? 3DMark will not push a cpu to hard. prime or something along those lines will put a cpu under the gun.
Just pasting this for you becasue it is the best I can do to explain what want to do:
I'm strictly trying to find an optimal noise level for cooling when playing games. I'm playing an old MMO right now that uses the Unreal engine, but its DX9, so it doesn't even push my 2012 PowerColor 7950. I get no noise from CPU cooler as the CPU never gets above 65C or so.

can you not adjust aio fans thought the bios or switches ?
Sure, but the F-ers start to get noisy after 50% or 1000 RPM. So, what I am trying to do is see how far I can push the fan profile at 50% speed and still keep the CPU under 75C. One of my problem is the lakl of risers, and I have my case fans hooked to the only available riser, which so happen to be hooked to the AIO fans, which ahve a max RPM of 2000. Now, this wouldn't be a problem except the case fans, Noctua 140mm Redex, max RPMs are 1200. So when I dial down the AIO to 50%, the Noc fans are only spinning 600RPMs. I'm thinking about putting the noc fans on a manual controller (4 140s) and setting them to about 1000 RPM, which is silent. Hopefully that will supply case with enough cool air that the AIO, which is in the case out mode, that is, sucks air from inside the case, will have cooler air and won't have to ramp up as soon.

However, I'm moving the AIO to the front of the case, and the fans will be sucking air from the outside and pushing through the Radiator TO the inside. Either way, keeping the inside as cool as posible will help keep the AIO fans from having to open up sooner than later.

I just want to keep the AIO fans running at below 1000 RPMs as long as possible.

there isnt. just play the games you normally do and watch the temps. how many threads you up to for the same build?

there isnt. just play the games you normally do and watch the temps. how many threads you up to for the same build?

At least my post has something to do with computers, unlike your wasted snippy personal comments devoid of computing content.

And, by the way, your comment is definitively wrong.

After doing a little more research myself, I've found several game demo tests, like the old Far Cry, that run your machine like it will in the game. So, yeah, their are, and they do exist. You should focus your efforts on computer content, rather than personal attacks.

World of Tanks Demo

WOTCapture.PNG

Like DrDoU posted above:

Unigine Heaven: "Extreme performance and stability test for PC hardware: video card, power supply, cooling system. Check your rig in stock and overclocking modes with real-life load! Also includes interactive experience in a beautiful, detailed environment."
And so, so many more

I just wanted to know if there was one or two most people used.

Just pasting this for you becasue it is the best I can do to explain what want to do:

Why not simply set a custom fan curve that tops out at 50% play all the games you want to play while monitoring your temperature. If it doesn't get at or near throttle temps, call it good.

EDIT: I see this suggestion was already brought up. And IMO, is the correct one even if OP didn't like it. Not sure why you'd want to download an extra piece of software to "simulate" when you can actually test using actual games you're actually going to play. Some things just make too much sense I suppose.

At least my post has something to do with computers, unlike your wasted snippy personal comments devoid of computing content.

And, by the way, your comment is definitively wrong.

After doing a little more research myself, I've found several game demo tests, like the old Far Cry, that run your machine like it will in the game. So, yeah, their are, and they do exist. You should focus your efforts on computer content, rather than personal attacks.

World of Tanks Demo

View attachment 237175

Like DrDoU posted above:

Unigine Heaven: "Extreme performance and stability test for PC hardware: video card, power supply, cooling system. Check your rig in stock and overclocking modes with real-life load! Also includes interactive experience in a beautiful, detailed environment."
And so, so many more

I just wanted to know if there was one or two most people used.
lol "personal attack" if you havent forgotten, ive help you a shit tonne in all your unnecessary duplicate threads. glad you figured out how to google for yourself.

Why not simply set a custom fan curve that tops out at 50% play all the games you want to play while monitoring your temperature. If it doesn't get at or near throttle temps, call it good.

EDIT: I see this suggestion was already brought up. And IMO, is the correct one even if OP didn't like it. Not sure why you'd want to download an extra piece of software to "simulate" when you can actually test using actual games you're actually going to play. Some things just make too much sense I suppose.

"Some things just make too much sense I suppose. "

Yes, when you assume your conclusions. I don't play, own or have loaded any games currently because I am playing an MMO I have been playing for a decade + off and on. It does not ramp up the Rad fans at all the way I have it set: 50% speed all the way to 73-75C. Your problem understanding what I am doing is based on your assuming I have the games I want to play and am just sitting on them wanting to test my system with a synthetic. Uh, yeah, that would be asinine, right?

My plan all along was to keep the fans as silent as possible, I mean, duh?

I'm just tweaking my system now, so down the line, when I do load a game that challenges cooling, I don't have to deal with it then--for many reasons, like maybe I won't have the time to fuck with it? I like to be proactive.

"Why not simply set a custom fan curve that tops out at 50% . . . ." Yeah, you probably would do something like that.

You don't need to set a profile at 50% top speed to see if the temps will get out of hand. That's fucking idiotic. All you need to do is set it like I have it: 50% fan speed up all the way to 75C, then start ramping up in a short delta curve to 100% at 80C. If the fans start spinning, then you know the heat is at or past 75C.

Sorry for that nasty last comment, but your snippy shit remark pissed me off. You get what you give.

However, setting your CPU fan to top out t 50% in order to test heat . Really? <face palm>

lol "personal attack" if you havent forgotten, ive help you a shit tonne in all your unnecessary duplicate threads. glad you figured out how to google for yourself.

Personal attacks and insults are NEVER okay, for any reason, at any time, period. There are no exceptions. None.

"Some things just make too much sense I suppose. "

Yes, when you assume your conclusions. I don't play, own or have loaded any games currently because I am playing an MMO I have been playing for a decade + off and on. It does not ramp up the Rad fans at all the way I have it set: 50% speed all the way to 73-75C. Your problem understanding what I am doing is based on your assuming I have the games I want to play and am just sitting on them wanting to test my system with a synthetic. Uh, yeah, that would be asinine, right?

My plan all along was to keep the fans as silent as possible, I mean, duh?

I'm just tweaking my system now, so down the line, when I do load a game that challenges cooling, I don't have to deal with it then--for many reasons, like maybe I won't have the time to fuck with it? I like to be proactive.

"Why not simply set a custom fan curve that tops out at 50% . . . ." Yeah, you probably would do something like that.

You don't need to set a profile at 50% top speed to see if the temps will get out of hand. That's fucking idiotic. All you need to do is set it like I have it: 50% fan speed up all the way to 75C, then start ramping up in a short delta curve to 100% at 80C. If the fans start spinning, then you know the heat is at or past 75C.

Sorry for that nasty last comment, but your snippy shit remark pissed me off. You get what you give.

However, setting your CPU fan to top out t 50% in order to test heat . Really? <face palm>

If my comment pissed you off, you're too sensitive for the internet. Don't expect me to walk on eggshells because you're hyper-sensitive. It's not gonna happen.

Now as to your previous comments, i'll dumb it down so you understand. I personally would not limit my fan speeds to 50%. I actually know what i'm doing and would not have made a dumb thread to begin with... BUT... Since you're too dense to figure out what I was saying, here it is again in more elementary terms.

YOU don't like the noise levels above 50%
THEREFOR, I suggested limiting it to 50% WHILE monitoring to ENSURE you aren't overheating/throttling.

Please let me know if this was too complicated for you to make heads and tails out of. And if this post pissed you off well... lol

If my comment pissed you off, you're too sensitive for the internet. Don't expect me to walk on eggshells because you're hyper-sensitive. It's not gonna happen.

Now as to your previous comments, i'll dumb it down so you understand. I personally would not limit my fan speeds to 50%. I actually know what i'm doing and would not have made a dumb thread to begin with... BUT... Since you're too dense to figure out what I was saying, here it is again in more elementary terms.

YOU don't like the noise levels above 50%
THEREFOR, I suggested limiting it to 50% WHILE monitoring to ENSURE you aren't overheating/throttling.

Please let me know if this was too complicated for you to make heads and tails out of. And if this post pissed you off well... lol

You can do whatever you want, be the person you want, say the things you want. For every action there is a reaction.

You can do whatever you want, be the person you want, say the things you want. For every action there is a reaction.

Agreed. To that end, you haven't received very positive reactions here. Maybe time to take a good long hard look in the mirror.

Agreed. To that end, you haven't received very positive reactions here. Maybe time to take a good long hard look in the mirror.

The only negative comments I have gotten in this thread, or from nearly everyone in this community, is from you and pendragon1. Everyone else posting offered positive feedback. Maybe it's time for you to look in the mirror.

To all others looking for positive information about computers, I did run a couple Unigen tests, World of Tanks updated engine test, Cine 20, and Future Mark. My CPU never exceeded 65C, and that was a short spike. However, that was with my side panel off. I've tested with it on and off using P95, and there was no real change.

Measured with HardWareInfo64.

Thanks for those offering positive suggestions.

HA. My GPU is an old man. Power Color AMD 7950, from back in the day. That card has some grey hairs on it

Oh man haha I used to have one of those. I used to also run quad 6970s back in the day. It would throw a breaker in the panel. Glad those days are long gone but that machine would fly.

I think it was on my old 3930k 6 core Sandy Bridge E.

Oh man haha I used to have one of those. I used to also run quad 6970s back in the day. It would throw a breaker in the panel. Glad those days are long gone but that machine would fly.

I think it was on my old 3930k 6 core Sandy Bridge E.
I still have my GTX 295 card, which was two cards sandwiched together. The main problem iwht it was that after a short while, games were no longer coding for the dual card aspect of it. That, and you had to have our own power station to run it.

Back