What audio software do you use?? (Musicians)

Lyquist

2[H]4U
Joined
Aug 21, 2004
Messages
3,368
What audio software do you guys use?? I use Krystal and another free program called Reaper for multi-track audio. I haven't found a wave editor that I really like though. I really liked the program "Wave Studio" that came with my X-Fi soundcard, but once I sold the X-Fi I couldn't get the program to load:-( That sucked. It was very simple, but it fit my needs perfectly. I am looking for recommendations of wave editors and multi-track software. I am not into MIDI at all, although my new M-Audio Audiophile 2496 has MIDI capability. I just haven't learned how to use it yet. Any recommendations from other musicians would be appreciated.

Lyquist
 
I am really looking for free stuff to be honest with you. I see no reason to pay when there are so many free alternatives out there to be used. I am trying out Gold Wave, but I find it a little bit lacking. I have also tried Audacity, but it's not a very good wave editor. I wish that Creative had Wave Studio available as a free download. That would be awesome. That was the best thing about the X-Fi to me. The X-Fi also sounded pretty good, but it isn't a dedicated recording card like my Audiophile.

Lyquist
 
im using fruity loops at the moment...its really easy to use and i got it for free...

my cubase didnt work so i gave that back...

im going to try and get reason soon though :)
 
Cakewalk Sonar for multitracking. It just seems more intuitive to me than Cubase.

Wavelab for editing

Sorry, don't have a lot of experience with free editors, but one reason to consider retail apps is that they have the features and usability that make them productive. Not that there may not be good free ones out there, but as you point out the pickins are slim. I was able to recoup much of my investment by recording and buring demo discs for some local garage bands.

Plogue Bidule is a really cool app for using vst plugs live. It's like a real-time virtual patchbay with a zillion options and can be programmed to manipulate and control signals in ways I don't think are otherwise possible. It's much more than just a vst container. I think there's still a free demo to check out, and places like KVR are good resources for free vst plugs.

I use a Presonus Firepod with a laptop on many gigs running 2 guitars (my std and a bass) along with vocals and some foot controllers in real time. A Behringer BCR2000 midi knob-box makes for quick & easy tweaking on stage. Even though I play mostly classic rock kind of stuff, I do some looping, scratching and guitar->midi fx from time to time... it's cool to throw in some things bands never could have done live years ago, especially when we're playing spacey stuff like Floyd ;)

Jamstix is the best sounding, easiest to use 'virtual drummer' I have tried to date (and I think I've tried them all). I like to hit the skins, but I am much more a guitarist than I will ever be a drummer. And good drum tracks can be difficult or (very) time consuming to program. Jamstix does it very well, very easily. Highly recommened.

[edit]

Just want to clarify that vst plugs are not required to use Bidule (it comes with many effects of it's own), but the platform is based on that format and is a key strength.
 
Back
Top