• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

What ATI to replace dead 8600?

  • Thread starter Deleted member 80813
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 80813

Guest
I have a secondary system with a dead Nvidia 8600GT. What ATI card would be a good replacement? This is a secondary system so nothing too big (Shuttle with 250watt PSU).
Other than web surfing and light office the only games are all older and played just fine on the 8600.
 
I disagree with sirmonkey1985 that a 4650 get the same performance as a 9600GT, as my experience was that a 9600GT was quite a bit faster than a 4650.

But anyway, a 4650 is faster than an 8600GT so just get that. If you can find a HD4670 for $50, then just get that.
 
5670 must faster card due to bandwidth. Almost 8800gt range of speed (almost). Uses about 15 more watts while active, but much lower power consumption when idle.

5570 slower compared to the 5670. Uses slower clocks and slower memory, this card is bandwidth starved. Uses about the same power as your 8600gt when active and much lower power consumption when idle. This card is slower than the 9600 gt. Card is barely slower than the 4670 (4670 has higher clocks but less shaders)

4670 and 4650 are also both faster than your old 8600gt
 
Doesn't the 4670 have issues running up against the 75W limit of pcie 1.0?

I'm not sure about that. I've had my HD4670 on a PCI-E 1.0 slot and its been running without any issues.
 
I have read of a GTX 260 and Phenom I X4 working fine on Shuttle's 250W PSU, so I'd wager a 4670 would be a decent enough fit.
 
Last edited:
That HD4650 64bit for $30 AR will still run better that the 8600GT, so for $30 its hard to beat.

The 128bit version will run much better, but may not be worth the extra cash. Either way the HD4650 seems like the best price/proformance for your needs.

Here is Sapphire's low prifile HD4650 128bit $60.
http://www.chiefvalue.com/product-_-productdetails.cv_-_item--CE00156459010060

or Powercolor HD4650 64bit $30 AR.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814131180

Yeah, but still though it is a mail and rebate so you will have to go through all the hassels for $15. Most people will probably get the card and just forget about the rebate(Guilty).
I'm not sure about that. I've had my HD4670 on a PCI-E 1.0 slot and its been running without any issues.
Stand corrected:D
 
I disagree with sirmonkey1985 that a 4650 get the same performance as a 9600GT, as my experience was that a 9600GT was quite a bit faster than a 4650.

But anyway, a 4650 is faster than an 8600GT so just get that. If you can find a HD4670 for $50, then just get that.

This. In every review I've seen the 9600GT was above the 4670 in most games.
 
Thanks for all the responces everyone.
Even though the 9600GT beats the 4650, the 4650 is cheaper and sucks less juice.
While I wait for it to arrive a friend gave me a brand new 3450 to use. Nothing special but better than a dead 8600.
 
could go with an older low end 4k series card.. something like the 4650..

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814131178

gets the same performance as a 9600GT and doesnt need a second power source..

low profile version with a little less performance but still more then the 8600GT
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814131180
a 4650 does not match the performance of a 9600gt. also the fact that one of 4650 cards is low profile has no performance impact because they have the same specs.
 
Back
Top