What Are Your Computers Named?

The three computers in the house are randomly named. I might have a theme to them one day, but I like the names we have now.

This computer is called GIRL-ACTION. I have a share on it called "Girl." I'm a child at heart. :D

My brother's machine is called OSCAR-BOX, since his name is Oscar (originality++).

The computer I just fixed, and is sitting behind me running Prime95, is shared as PIMP-MACHINE, just because I damn well felt like it at 2AM last night. :p

Cobalt---Main box
Solanis--LAN box
Animosity---File server
Whisper---other box/spare LAN box

Macrobaye - main AMD XP 2200 rig
Vertigo - once built XP 2800, now down waiting on a new power supply if I ever get the $$ :rolleyes:

HAL-9000 (My main machine)
SCREAMER (My file Server. Name comes from the days of Lightwave network rendering, each node was named SCREAMER001, 002, etc..)
COMSAT (My Matrox Editing Machine)
ATHLON (Athlon based computer that was given to me)
DUALIE (My dual P2 450 machine with Linux on it)

GotNoRice - Main box, named after me to make it easy for people at LANparties.
GNRLAP - Laptop, same reason.
The other computers in the house are named Terminal1 - Terminal6
My servers are named GNRserver1, GNRserver2. The LANtrocity Servers I work on are named LANtroserver1 - LANtroserver5.

Well, all of them are preficed by Vibrant, which is my domain
You've got Vertigo, my main gaming machine
The P.R.O.G (People's Republic of Gaming), my soviet styled dualie server
Little Bitch, the OpenBSD Firewall/DHCP Server
Paltry, the Mac Centris 610 running NetBSD
and finally
Terror, my dad's computer that is still running WinME :eek:

"And I will love him, and hug him, and call him George..."
Eeyore (as it acted like a jack#ss on occasion)
RubberDucky (due to the idiotic little jpeg that popped up with the username)
NONE (cause I couldnt think of anything at 4:30 am in the morning after emergency rebuild - power surge thru the modem - melted modem & pci slot not pretty but motherboard ran for another 2 months)
HvyMtl (cause it weighed a ton - steel case and was the gamer of old - Quake 2 days- 333mhz cel, TNT, MX300 - first system I built for myself ground up)
MtlPig (as it weighed even more - also chinese zodiac sign...)

Nemesis - main box
Servesis - server
Quadesis - quadboot box (has 4 different OS's on it)

Cheech said:
My naming scheme > *

Laptop: Corona
Desktop: Scotch
Roomie's desktop: Stoli
XBConnect Server: Patron
File Server: Spaten
Server being built: Everclear
Name in reserve: Bourbon

and the topper, the router/firewall: Bouncer

nice :cool:

Mine are.

Tigger :- Main box, Cause it is.
Piglet :- Little box under the table.
Rabbit :- The one at the bottom of the stack.
Eeyore :- The slowest in the stack at only 4.2 Ghz.
Kanga :- Second from top of stack.
Roo :- At the top of stack.
Owl :- To be built again. Unstable mobo.

I tend to keep the same name even after a rebuild.

Luck......... :D

My computer: P43000
Brother's computer: P41900
Server: IC433Server

Spock - server
Sulu - Main PC
Nova - Laptop I got from someone who caused it to overheat, warping the chassis, but somehow it still works.
A**hole - PC i use for internet browsing and watching tv, but it crashes alot and is not very stable.

The God of war, the wrathful one, the comp of death, the fearless one, etc---- my gaming pc :) its full name is the wrathful hand of the god of war..... but its a large name, and i rather give it a nick name....
I got mr shocky..... it has a bad psu...
energizer- this one keeps going and going!
smokeymcPotinator---- if u get high, this one draws ur attension!
lil killer---my laptop
big bubba----i would call my server this....dont got one...

My next pc's are going to be custom painted by me, and named after the elemnt they represent...
i was thinking blue fire...
than the red lightning
typhoon
whirlwind
etc

then ill go to historical names
brutus
RA
Ceaser
the marilvigian (its a historical name not matrix)
achilles...
etc...

Aerie - My computer (previously called Kremlin)
Family - Family computer
Aptive - Basement computer

Frankenstein, because I run 4 different OSes on it and have parts from 4+ computers in it (fans, rheobus', speakers, HDDs, etc.)

mine are:
organ-donor
toga

i am still thinking of names for my next two that i am getting soon...

Aristottle - my main rig (Shuttle SK41G with dual monitors)
Platoe - my laptop (Dell C600)
Hume - my server (Compaq Proliant 1600R)
Pantheon - my router (Linksys somethingorother)

So philosophical :)

I helped redo a small office network and the guy before us, named the two servers:

"Network"
"Fileserver"

:confused:

Someone help me out here, I can't figure out why everyone always gravitates toward mythological names for servers. At my work we used to have that from the sysadmin who came before, but it's being transitioned to more descriptive names. I just can figure out what the draw is.

main rig: "Sylvana"
SFF: "Urbanus"

Named after ships in Last Exile, but the names of the ships have been spelled so many different ways in the fansubs ... I haven't watched Last Exile yet on g4techtv or whatever it's called now. Anime dubs are bad! Then again if I watched it, I might actually know how to spell those ship names ...

Vlade : Server
Titan: Main Rig
Zeus: App Server/ File server
Apollo: Multi Use
Bollos: Linux Workstation

Cheech said:
Someone help me out here, I can't figure out why everyone always gravitates toward mythological names for servers. At my work we used to have that from the sysadmin who came before, but it's being transitioned to more descriptive names. I just can figure out what the draw is.

A lot of computer people like to read. That's why most of the names come from books. Also, think of power.. What comes to mind? I think The Gods. Not God, but The Gods, If I had a big-ass mainframe, I'd probably name it Zeus, because that to me is the name symbolic of incredible computing power that a mainframe has.

My computers are named comp-1 through comp-6, Not a very creative person. :rolleyes: and sometimes piece of...

advanced101101 said:
My pc is named "my baby" , so what if im not creative?!?

Hey, don't worry about it. Sometimes I say "come on baby" when it looks like my computer locks up, or is struggling...
Actually there was a study a long time ago that showed that when a positive attitude was directed towards the computer, problem it was having would disappear. It also showed that when a positive attitude was directed at the test computer by a human, and the human though of a number, the random number would come up most of the time. The effect was stronger when a couple thought the positive thoughts.

So there you have it. You aren't silly or stupid just because you give your computer a name or call it 'baby'. It improves performance and reduces likelihood of errors and problems by the computer. :D

I've been using a Star Destroyer theme for awhile.

Right now my main box is - RECKONING
My 2nd rig is called - IRON FIST
My laptop is called - FREEDOM

At my college all our labs have themes if you will, and one of the CS labs is the "pizza" lab. So all the computers are toppings. Pepperoni, sausage, meat-lover, veggie, cheese... You get the idea.

"Brother's Keeper" 1st PC :)

"Golden Wings" 2nd PC :p

"Silver Sided Beast" 3rd/Current PC :p
"Silver Sided B#$^&" <---- the censored real name HAHA :p

Back