What are you using to store your Norco 4220/4020 ?

jaypeezee

Gawd
Just curious to see what everyone is using to store their Norco's... Planning on picking up a Dell Poweredge rack tomorrow (24u) for $175... Wanted to see beforehand if there are cheaper solutions ?

Just curious to see what everyone is using to store their Norco's... Planning on picking up a Dell Poweredge rack tomorrow (24u) for $175... Wanted to see beforehand if there are cheaper solutions ?

Thats what i have a 2410, its awesome :D

Sweet ! what did you pay for it if you don't mind me asking... also what rails, if any, are you using ? I was looking at the Norco RL-20 or RL-26..

I just have mine sitting on a steel rack I got from costco.
It's probably better to have a proper rack, but since it's
the only rackmount item I have I didn't want to bother.
I rotated mine so that it sits vertically.

Sweet ! what did you pay for it if you don't mind me asking... also what rails, if any, are you using ? I was looking at the Norco RL-20 or RL-26..

I paid 300

Use the RL-26's....the 20s dont allow you to slide it out all the way.

Also the instructions suck, so just use common sense, and if you need help putting them together send me a PM.

Dell 4210... The big one. I got it for free still in the crate. Great deal, but if anyone want's something this big make sure they have room. If you have a smaller 22U HP rack or a 24U Dell and want this big boy, I'm up for a trade. Houston, TX only though

Dell 4210... The big one. I got it for free still in the crate. Great deal, but if anyone want's something this big make sure they have room. If you have a smaller 22U HP rack or a 24U Dell and want this big boy, I'm up for a trade. Houston, TX only though

I almost got the big one, but i just dont have room for it.
Or enough equipment to fill it.....which means i would have to buy more stuff that I *need* :)

I started off with a 24U, and got a good deal on a 42U so I was eh why not... got my stuff in it... ... well crap... so ya... I was forced to fill it right?

Just got back from picking up my new baby :) like some of you have posted... I now feel inclined to fill it - what a shame (in scary mad scientist voice) *bbbuhahhaah* so many ideas, so little cash.

I'll post some pics up here shortly. Also got a nice little deal on a 1u keyboard/mouse combo that'll make a nice addition.

DSC01408.jpg

Startech 12U Adjustable

I've got a 35U "digital" rack going unused at the moment.

Sorry for the mess :) - Still in the works of remodeling/decorating/cable management; All is difficult with a newborn.

In the corner is my nice new Craigslist addition!
room.jpg

Startech 12U Adjustable

I've got a 35U "digital" rack going unused at the moment.

What do you reckon of the Startech 12U Rack?
I'm looking for a reasonably priced rack...

What's the dimensions of it set-up with a Norco?

Cheers
Gavin

The Startech rack is pretty nice, but it took forever to ship. Mine was backordered for at least a month. The depth is adjustable, I've got mine set to the depth of my Norco 4020. Mine as setup is 22.5" W x 25.5" H x 25.5"D.

Are there any particulars to be aware of when identifying a good rack to house several norco or supermicro 20+ hotswap 4u server cases?

Is it correct to assume an open frame rack would provide better ambient cooling? In contrast, would a rack enclosure with all doors and sides closed provide any sound dampening? Are there any rack enclosures easily retrofitted to connect to air conditioners? The room for the rack may get high ambient temps in the summer and I would like to efficiently utilize a portable spot ac cooler or other cold air sources.

I need a rack that is no taller than 80" or 42u. The HP 10642 G2 42U or APC NetShelter SX 42U appear suitable.

Last edited:
An open rack won't really provide better cooling since all the air is being drawn from the front and not the sides. Closed racks will dampen the noise a little, but you can only make things so quiet. You won't require any extra cooling within the rack itself, though I have an AC unit in the same room to maintain a constant temperate due to the large amount of equipment present.

I'm shopping for a rack right now and the biggest issue I am encountering is finding a nice used one with the proper depth for my space. The Norcos are 25.5" deep, so you need at least 29" of rack depth to allow for cables and whatnot. You can find 39" deep racks all day long, but that is too big for my needs. You can also find a lot of 22"' deep racks, which are too shallow. This wouldn't be a problem if I was buying new, but there's no reason to spend 2X as much if you have the time to wait for the right rack at the right price to show up on craiglist (expensive shipping has ruled out eBay for me). Just make sure that you are buying a standard 19" rack with the right depth and you should be fine. Regarding cooling, I think our best bet is to buy one with fans in the bottom and top and then just point the ac at the bottom of the rack. The fans will suck in the cold air and expel it out the top. But, someone with more experience than me may have a better idea.

I am still looking at the HP 10642 G2 42U. Are any accessories strongly recommended, for example, the power distribution unit, fan kits, cable management, etc?

Back