What are you using to secure erase sata SSDs?

Dermen

Limp Gawd
I have several Intel 320 sata SSDs I'm trying to secure erase so I can give them away instead of throwing them in the trash. I tried a bootable USB with DOS and HDDerase, the software will start but then freeze after I get past the initial disclosures. I tried Partedmagic on USB but it won't ever get to the desktop, in legacy mode it will get to the menu to select start desktop but when I chose that nothing happens, if I try UEFI mode it won't even get that far. I set the bios to legacy boot but it didn't matter.

I'm just ready to smash them with a hammer and throw them out.

Have you tried the Intel® Memory and Storage Tool (Intel® MAS) - it has a Secure Erase feature.

DBAN is all you need for HDD. For SSD, they have a commercial product but you can get a free trial and just nuke your drives with that. If you are in an industry which requires a paper trail for destroyed drives, you can use that to print audit reports.

Have you tried the Intel® Memory and Storage Tool (Intel® MAS) - it has a Secure Erase feature.
Doesn't work with Sata drives, the older Intel toolbox told me it couldn't secure erase on win8/10/11. I finally found Adata SSD Toolbox would let me secure erase it, forgot I had it installed since I removed the Adata SSD a while ago.

I sometimes use my Dell Latitude laptop. It has a secure erase feature in the BIOS. If not I just over write it all. HDD Sentinel has a reinitialise disk setting. I really dont care about adding another 500GB of writes to a 500GB drive. Stuff is too cheap now.

Boot any live Linux distro and :
sudo hdparm --user-master u --security-set-pass hardocp /dev/sdX
sudo hdparm --user-master u --security-erase hardocp /dev/sdX

I never give away drives, or claim warranty, the HDD's get their platters belt sanded or melted. If I ever dispose of SSD's it will be a sledge hammer and anvil on the chips.

I never give away drives, or claim warranty, the HDD's get their platters belt sanded or melted. If I ever dispose of SSD's it will be a sledge hammer and anvil on the chips.
I also do that with old drives, after I salvage the magnets. I score the platters a lot with a sharp nail. And sometimes hit them with a sledge hammer.

The Magic Chef in the kitchen does a nice job, only takes a few seconds with the magnetron coming on.

Reactions: noko
like this
I resuse HDDs all the time. I use them to hand customers recovered data back to them or slap in a 500GB/1TB to a family PC for a backup drive or kids gaming rig for some more Steam/video/music space for free.

As long as they have no issues they get a single full over write and good to go. There is no need to destroy perfectly good storage of 500GB and above.

Back