What are these OEM Windows XP purchase options on NewEgg?

mellojoe

Gawd
I just built a new system, and I want to get a legal copy of XP to go with it. I see these fairly inexpensive options on NewEgg ($80) but they say they are OEM features only.

What does that mean?
Can I download the service packs with them?
Will I still have to activate them by calling the 1-800 number?
Are they full featured licenses for end-users like me?
Will it work?

-Once its on a HD, it can't be moved to another HD
- Yes
-No, they shoudl auto activate after you load them on the new system
-See microsoft site
-Yes it does

I think* thats about it

OEM System Builder copies mean it's the fully licensed version of the software or operating system, but when you purchase it you get no support from the manufacturer - this is pretty much true of all OEM software, especially the Microsoft OEM versions you can buy nowadays from retailers like Newegg and even Fry's in B&M stores.

Aside from that, the other issue is that an OEM copy is supposed to be used on one machine only meaning if you decide to upgrade to new hardware, you are - if you abide by the terms of the EULA and licensing stipulations - required to purchase a new copy for the "new" machine, even if you're transferring most of the hardware used for the original OEM installation. It's just how things work out...

Other than those two primary issues, it's the same software as the retail boxed versions. You just don't get the box, you don't even get the paperwork/manual/etc. You get the hologram disc in a paper sleeve and the Certificate of Authenticity sticker/label which shows proof of ownership, and that's it.

As for the questions:

1) Covered that above
2) Since they're the same software, yes, service packs work just fine.
3) Activation works just like the retail software: do it online, or you can call the 800 number if you really feel the need.
4) Full featured in some respects, but not in those described above: no technical support at all.
5) Of course it works.

Wow. That was fast.

I'll probably get that, then.

I've never used Windows support in the 15 years that I've been using Windows.. or however long it has been since Windows 3.1.1. I've never called them for anything. So, I'm probably safe by going with the OEM.

Right?

-Once its on a HD, it can't be moved to another HD
This isn't entirely true. It isn't tied to the hard drive as much as it's tied to the motherboard, CPU, etc. If you reinstall it on the same machine but on a different hard drive, you should have no trouble reactivating it (with or without calling Microsoft).

The biggest difference between retail and OEM for Microsoft is support. Normally with OEM software, you get your support from the party who built your computer.

So if some has oem version, and decides to install new Mobo/cpu, they can't use same vista key? ( keeping same HD)

System Builder OEM is for all intents and purposes the same as retail, One machine, but can reinstall as needed.

OEM is tied to 1 machine but if you do a major hardware change you will likely have to call Microsoft to reactivate it. According to the EULA on OEM you are supposed to buy a new license for any major hardware changes.

That sucks. I got mobo/cpu etc coming in next week, just thought i could reuse same one since keeping same HD :(

System Builder OEM is for all intents and purposes the same as retail, One machine, but can reinstall as needed.

OEM is tied to 1 machine but if you do a major hardware change you will likely have to call Microsoft to reactivate it. According to the EULA on OEM you are supposed to buy a new license for any major hardware changes.

Yeah, I am going to be in that boat in a couple weeks. I have a dual booted XP/Vista set-up, and I was planning on just making it Vista, and moving the XP install to a new budget AM2 rig I'm building. If I call Microsoft, what are the chances they will allow me to use XP on the AM2 rig? Can I just tell them that I bought a new hard drive? ;)

Back