What are the "Thortons"?

boshi

Limp Gawd
now, is it just me, or does that seem bassackwards?
I mean, here you have a small cheap to produce core like the t-bred, and you replace it with a larger more expensive core like the barton, and cut half of it off and under clock the FSB.

This would only make sense if they were doing like they supposedly are doing with the 64 3000+, turning defects into budget CPU's.

Originally posted by boshi
now, is it just me, or does that seem bassackwards?
I mean, here you have a small cheap to produce core like the t-bred, and you replace it with a larger more expensive core like the barton, and cut half of it off and under clock the FSB.

This would only make sense if they were doing like they supposedly are doing with the 64 3000+, turning defects into budget CPU's.

Tbred cores are discontinued...and it's cheaper to just make one core, rather than make two. Bartons are newer anyway....and with Thortons you can raise the FSB (overclock it) and convert it to a BARTON via the L2 mod.

how do you do the L2 mod to make it into a Barton? I've got a Thorton and I've been trying to open up the extra L2 cache by connecting the L2 bridges, but I can't seem to get it to work.

well it could be the same thing with the althon64 3000+.... just a failed core that has some faulty cache, so they remark it and get some better profit margins

Back