What are the best bang for the buck 2.1 speakers on the market?

NulloModo

Supreme [H]ardness
Hi,

I am in the market for a set of 2.1 computer speakers. My old setup was running 5.1 in my bedroom through an HK DP1001 receiver and a 7.1 set of Infinity modulus speakers (5.1 for the TV and the DVD player, 2.1 (using the same sub through a splitter) for the computer).

Now, since moving into a new apartment, my old bedroom setup is my new living room setup, so I need something new for my computer. I don't game on the PC, mainly looking for something good for MP3s and CDs, so 2.1 is fine. I have looked at the Klipsch Promedia 2.1, but I am wondering if there is something better for less or in the same range.

Also, since I have moved into a state that has sales tax (from one that doesn't) I would prefer any online stores that don't have sales tax in FL.

I'd say the Klipsch Promedias are great. I've been looking around for a new set of speakers compact enough to fit in a dorm but big enough to put out BIG sound if necessary...and these definitely fit the bill. My music tracks have never sounded better since getting them, and I'm amazed at how much better they sound than my old Logitech Z-560's. They're not bad at gaming either - my X-Fi works really well with them and I can still tell where my enemies are most of the time in a game. They're a terrific value for what you get.

I just picked up my Promedias today, actually. I was at Best Buy listening to their speakers in action, and when I heard these playing it was love at first sound. They played BB's crappy test sounds like they were some kind of high quality audio stream! I was planning on waiting until Christmas for a set of speakers, but I just had to have them now so I bought them and haven't looked back since :cool:

Shorehn said:
I'd say the Klipsch Promedias are great. I've been looking around for a new set of speakers compact enough to fit in a dorm but big enough to put out BIG sound if necessary...and these definitely fit the bill. My music tracks have never sounded better since getting them, and I'm amazed at how much better they sound than my old Logitech Z-560's. They're not bad at gaming either - my X-Fi works really well with them and I can still tell where my enemies are most of the time in a game. They're a terrific value for what you get.

I just picked up my Promedias today, actually. I was at Best Buy listening to their speakers in action, and when I heard these playing it was love at first sound. They played BB's crappy test sounds like they were some kind of high quality audio stream! I was planning on waiting until Christmas for a set of speakers, but I just had to have them now so I bought them and haven't looked back since :cool:

I ended up picking up a set of Promedia 2.1s as well today. I was torn between those and the Logitech 2300s, but I decided to give Klipsch a try. They are very bright, and the bass is a bit muddy, but maybe I have to just play around with some settings first. If nothing else, I have 30 days to decide if I really like them or not.

Good choice. I've found that the bass on my set sounds the best if you put it just shy of the 10 o'clock recommended dial setting, if it helps at all. If you do decide to stick with your Promedia 2.1's, also consider buying the Monster cable kit Klipsch sells for them. I think you'll agree with me when I say that the included cables are...well, not the best quality.

Shorehn said:
Good choice. I've found that the bass on my set sounds the best if you put it just shy of the 10 o'clock recommended dial setting, if it helps at all. If you do decide to stick with your Promedia 2.1's, also consider buying the Monster cable kit Klipsch sells for them. I think you'll agree with me when I say that the included cables are...well, not the best quality.

Heh, I have a huge bag of monster cables that I bought during my last days of employee discount at CC (along with some PS2 controllers, memory cards, and other odd items). Once I get everything set up for the main surround system I will see what I have left.

Back