what are the best additives

umbra

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Jul 27, 2004
Messages
1,809
I'm a noob to watercooling so i want to know which additives would be best to keep my system runnning at peak performance. I need something for algae and would like something that would light up in blue under uv light. Any recommendations on the best stuff and where can I get those as well.
 
10% swiftech hydrx.. proven to perform well and they have have ones that are uv green, if u like that color... u can find it at swiftechs site for a couple bucks
 
Propylene Glycol (low tox anti freeze) Same stuff basicly as Swiftech, Corsair and Koolance uses, just different names.................... :D
 
thewhiteguy said:
Antifreeze is cheap and works as well as anything you'll buy online.

I've read that most anti freeze reduces the cooling properties of the water..

Simon
 
I am interested as well - I have a new WC setup leak testing in the other room with straight distilled water, and am about to go buy an additive - My system is all copper, so would algae killer be enough?
 
Grizzy said:
I am interested as well - I have a new WC setup leak testing in the other room with straight distilled water, and am about to go buy an additive - My system is all copper, so would algae killer be enough?

From the information I've gathered you should just use distilled or sterilized water with algae killer. No anti freeze or other industrial chemicals which often are promoted but really don't add to the cooling properties of the water, most often they reduce the cooling properties of the water by a significan amount.

I'm just going for sterilized water (from a pharmacy and was cheaper then distillied and is even more pure) and algae killer. No fancy stuff.

Simon
 
Aashanti said:
I've read that most anti freeze reduces the cooling properties of the water..

Simon
Anything you put in the water will reduce the cooling performance. You have to take a little drop is performance to avoid corrosion and algae growth.
 
The reason anti freeze etc has lower qualities in cooling is because it slows down the flow in the loop ... distilled water + something like hydrex or anything else that'll keep algae and corrosion out will help you ALOT :)
 
I have a question:

Does antifreeze work as an algae killer as well as corrosion preventative, or would you need an extra algae-killing additive?

Thanks,
 
Extra it'd think ... antifreeze has coolant properties but its very thick which is the reason it slows the flow down in your system but to my knowledge it contains nothing to help prevent corrosion / algae :confused: :confused:
 
That's not true... antifreeze does nothing for the cooling ability of water, it just lowers the freezing point. I'm pretty sure it does prevent corrosion from aluminum+copper mixing in your system, though. I can't imagine that it'd be too good for algae to live inside of, but I could easily be wrong about that, though :) If it doesn't help kill algae, where can I find some algae-killer online?

Thanks,
 
Back
Top