What are the benefits of a domain?

Bviper

Weaksauce
Now that I've got my ESXi server up I've finally been able to toy around with Windows Server.

So I ask, what are the benefits of a domain? I know stuff like active directory where you can manage users and group policy, but outside of just Microsoft functions what can it be used for?

I know there are options to join a domain in linux distros, so there has to be some benefit outside of Active Directory, and other specific Microsoft features.

Centralized user management is huge, don't dismiss it. Outside of window OSes, that's about it; but that still allows you to synchronize your users across multiple platforms and services.

For example, right now my users have a single login for email ( sendmail ) and their IM ( jabber ), which they manage through windows.

I'm not saying Active Directly and user management isn't freakin awesome (cause it is), but for example I have a pfsense router...

You can specify the domain in it, but I don't see how it could possibly matter whether or not it knows the domain. Its just a firewall, yet for some reason has domain options.

I guess I may just be over thinking things. Of course I understand the use when email comes into play, I just thought domains had some grander purpose than just user/machine management.

Back