What are some obscure games you like to play

dany man

Limp Gawd
Ok, so does anyone here play a game that is far less then main stream? something unknown or almost unknown?
if so what is that game and what do you like abut it ?

I play airfix dogfighter alot, its a odd one. A WWII dogfigher set in a 40/50s home were you fly model planes. Its like playing with toys. I'm not sure why I like it. Maybe because I was the kid that broke everything growing up? and shotting the flower pots and windows is alot of fun.

not sure they are unknown but i still love to pull them out
Master of Orion (DOS)
CIv 2 gold ( win9x)

Last edited:
I'm not sure how obscure this game is but I love Train Valley and Train Valley 2. Basically you build Train lines that go to different stations with challenges such as time limits, it's simple but I can lose hours to those games.

Cyber Empire, Star Flight, Star Control 2, Mechwarrior (the OG), crescent hawks inception and revenge, Mystical Ninja.

I have this game called Cyber Sled for PS1. Love it and play it at least once a week.

I don't know if BeamNg counts as obscure, but it is certainly not mainstream. It is completely pointless I just like to randomly drive around in it or chase the ai.

Others I don't play regularly just once in a while:

Odyssey by Car - the wonky controls, the only car game that I played with a mouse.
Loco Mania - it's oddly satisfying when you get the switches right and on queue
Hard Truck Apocalypse - vehicular combat game with trading elements

The Guardian Legend, for the NES.

It's a solid game, with advertising in the US completely botched by Brøderbund (about to close their doors at the time).

It's even more fun now in Emulation, as you can skip the annoying pass codes save system.

I bought it on release, and I'm still playing it to the end about once a year today.

Last edited:
Sins of a Solar Empire (still supported by Stardock, btw), GalCiv 3 (ditto by Stardock). Found Phantasmagoria for the pc, not too long ago, graphics are a little shakey, not quite as good as I remember, but that was from the '80's. Weird little game called Dead Man's Draw, still play it once in a while, not sure how old it is.

I'm not much of a game player, but my parents bought a Mac Plus in the mid 80s and I fondly remember playing Beyond Dark Crystal. We'll not long ago I bought a Quadra 605 that I just finished restoring, so off I go!

crescent hawks inception

I loved that game on my 386 but i got it in a multibox with a condense manual that did not have the "copy protection" towards the end
that sucked getting that far and not be able to complete it

Also my version was different than the one from Dos gamming. the stock market in the beginning town behave differently.
and there is no way to gain a skille from failing classes. i remeber that was a trick to squeze out an extra level ofr mech piloting

I don't know if it's obscure as much as just old, but I've made a habit of replaying Sanitarium every other year. That seems to be the amount of time it takes to forget many of the puzzles. It still holds up as a highly enjoyable, narrative-driven adventure game.

OH, I just remembered one of my favorite and super weird set of games, Xeno Clash 1 and 2.

They also work with VorpX if you want to have some real fun!

The Guardian Legend, for the NES.

It's a solid game, with advertising in the US completely botched by Brøderbund (about to close their doors at the time).

It's even more fun now in Emulation, as you can skip the annoying pass codes save system.

I bought it on release, and I'm still playing it to the end about once a year today.

You mean this Lil gem. Fun fun game.

"Obscure" is somewhat tricky to define....

I still play through Tenchu: Stealth Assassins about once a year or so.. (PS1)

Same with Alien vs Predator (2000).

+ Emperor: Battle for Dune, Battle for Middle Earth II, Pharaoh etc.

Wolfenstein 2009, Quake Live, Warsow (and now, Forksow since Warsow has been dead for a while). None of them is truly obscure but no one plays them so...

Wolfenstein 2009, Quake Live, Warsow (and now, Forksow since Warsow has been dead for a while). None of them is truly obscure but no one plays them so...

Warsow is dead?

.. That's a shame.

I've been playing Scream Ride....if you pulay this, you will quickly see Planet Coaster evolved from this.

The Suffering
I love that game, and play it through at least once every two years.

Pretty much all the good games in the TurboGrafx / PC Engine / SuperGrafx library. ;) Some SEVERELY underrated games on these systems, and I play them frequently. Especially if one is into shooters.

Indies on the PC, though some like Dead Cells, Shovel Knight and Axiom Verge are pretty widely known these days. Others though still seem to be pretty niche. Lovers in a Dangerous Spacetime, CRAWL, Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet, Sundered, etc. come to mind.

Dark Legions for MSDOS was an amazing Archon-like action/strategy/chess style game.

Does Quake Champions count? Hardly anybody plays it. I like it enough though. :p

Biohazard on the Genesis is fun.

Shadowrun on SNES (while the franchise(s) are a pretty known thing, I don't run into too many people who played through the SNES one). I guess it's not that obscure though really.

Caves of Qud

Otherwise a lot of what I'm playing right now is or was at the time fairly known. I do play a lot of obscure arcade games though. Momoko 120% anyone?

I recently thought about digging up Strike Commander. I haven't played it in years. It might just about run full speed now. :D

Syndicate won't be obscure to people on this forum most likely, but I think it's pretty obscure to the mainstream.

Blade Kitten is a good platformer. Kind of like Strider with swords and wall climbing, only with a good sense of humor.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know if it's obscure as much as just old, but I've made a habit of replaying Sanitarium every other year. That seems to be the amount of time it takes to forget many of the puzzles. It still holds up as a highly enjoyable, narrative-driven adventure game.

I did QA on this game. That's a good one. I haven't played it since then.

Reactions: viivo
like this

Wow, that's funny because immediately upon seeing this thread title, I thought of this game despite never beating it. I first played it on some PC magazine demo disc on my parent's Win 98 Packard Bell back in the late 90s when it was new and thought it was awesome. I replayed that demo countless times, but never had the opportunity to play all the way through it until several years later when I acquired it somehow on my first PC that I built. Pretty sure I got at least half way through the game, but never beat it. I know it's on Android/iOS now, so I should see if it plays OK on there and pick it up, I think. I was a huge Silent Hill fan back then, so that game was right up my alley.

Reactions: viivo
like this
Epidemic (PS1)

Scan1355.jpg

It's built like a live action dungeon crawler while being in an exo/robotic suit. The atmospheric ambiance, music, & exploration are what I love about it.

Back